1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a computer survive a 2 metre drop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sco0by, 1 Feb 2004.

1. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Not sure if this goes under hardware or disaster mods - mods please move if needed :p

We are currently doing some decorating here, and part of this invloves changing the bannisters on the stairs from the horrible old 1970's crap, to nice spindles. So I spent a lot of today removing all the old ones.
    My landing now looks like this:

[​IMG]

Notice the big open drop...

After doing enough decorating for the day - I had a pc to finish building, and to test it I removed my 2nd pc and left it on the landing - in hindsight not the best idea :eek:

Coming out of the room, I caught my 2nd pc, and it tipped over the edge of the landing, 2 meters straight down :eeek: I saw it drop, hit the wall, and roll down the last 3 stairs :waah:

Got downstairs to find the case was still pretty much in one piece, but the impact had pulled the gfx card & raid card from their mounts, and the cpu cooler was i bit twisted (no pic of that - I was busy panicking!)

Here you can see where the case hit the wall:
    [​IMG]

From the side you can see where the chassis is bent:
    [​IMG]

And damage to the front:
    [​IMG]

The case was pretty banged up. Fearing the worst I checked the cpu hadn't been crunched, re-fitted the cards, checked all the connections, and fired it up.
    Total damage caused: Nil :eeek:

It fired up first time, booted into windows fine, completed a disc check of all 3 hard drives, and ran an Aquamark & SuperPI test all fine.

I think I was rather lucky on this one - either that or pc components are tougher that I gave them credit for.

I'm just glad I never bought a plexi case otherwise I'd still be hoovering fragments out of the carpet :hehe:

Here's a shot of the drop:
    [​IMG]

The case hit the wall at about the 3rd stair.

I'm a lucky boy :rolleyes: and now the pc is back where it belongs, I`m going to need a new case now tho :lol:

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    OMG thats lucky! cant believe it all survived!

3. SiMonTiST

SiMonTiST Minimodder

Wow, a testament to the toughness of modern PC parts.

I say you keep the case the way it is, so you an show off its 'battle damage' :p

4. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

hahehahahHAHAH sorry but that was soo funny!! the way u said it just drop off i would have laughed if it was me then cryed!! heh (sorry) :hehe: :hehe:

5. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

computers are more solid than we might think sometimes...

I remember I dropped my computer just before going to a lan... a meter drop (and I have a 500g AX7) then it lands on the left panel. I was SOOO afraid that the AX7 got the socket out I almost cried lol.

6. ajack

ajack rox

Thats fairly minimal damage for a 2m drop! Just lucky it fell on where it did, it could have been much worse :) I can imagine how you felt when you saw it falling (in slow motion probably) :hehe:

7. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Wow... that's amazing that it survived! Actually, I'd be very upset about damaging my Lian Li if that happened to me.

8. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

They are. Non operating maximum shock is like 100g's or something... Think of a forklift dropping a pallet, it happens, and they plan for that.

If it was on then it is significantly smaller on the order of like 2 g's. laptop components do 10, I think when on... or at least do a bit more then normal components.

9. TMM

TMM Modder

been there done that :rolleyes: hehe
    also dropped at 15" monitor and accidently rolled all the way down my stairs :D :hehe:

but its all good! still going well :p

you are lucky your case doesn't have a door, you would have got that ripped off if you did!

look like alot of damage to your cd drives appearance tho :p

10. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Owch you were lucky!

I bet it would have been worse if it landed on one of the rear 2 corners :(

11. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I did see it go in slow motion funny enuff - along with me going "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :D

Its ok - no Lian-Li's were hurt in this accident, just a cheap £30 case I got from pc world. Now I have to find a new one that is just as robust! :lol:

12. oshta

oshta Guest

you are LUCKY!!

my m8s PC rolled from the back seat of hos car into the foot well
    - CPU H/S snaped of its luggs, crushed the CPU, and then continued though the Graphics card!!! (and the mobo stoped working)
    - it was a HUGE custom made h/s though!!! - about 800g of solid copper!!