1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development My Site that i am building

Discussion in 'Software' started by whits_house, 2 Feb 2004.

1. whits_house

whits_house Banned

hiya ive just been building a website well i am main admin keir is the graphical man lmao and chris is a server admin. spent about 7 days on this site so far just want to no what u lot thing of it. It does have its own Fourms plez take some time out and plez leve some feed back and tell me what you lot think of our site

http://www.mad-mods.tk/

:thumb:

thanks

2. WNxPunk

WNxPunk What's a Dremel?

Nice site :) but I'm not to keen on the iframes

3. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Nice site - easy to the eye and 'clean'

The only slight niggle I would have is that I dont (personally) like frames, so I'm not keen on say the staff page being sized the way it is....

Other than that its certainly getting there :thumb:

Keep up the good work

4. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

Everything is a bit BIG. The font sizes, the logo, the banner you have in your signature etc., try scaling everything down a bit. When everything os over-size it allways puts me in mind of childrens books.

I agree about the Iframe, it isn't really necessary and only makes the site more complex to maintain and compatable with less browsers.

5. Allen

Allen What's a Dremel?

Like my predecessor said, images with links are a bit too big, try scalling them at about 80% of their actuall size. They're OK now, but, may seems a bit large for other people. For Fonts and text formatting I recommend You to use CSS files. They're very helpful and You have all formatting stored in one file, eventually more, but one is just fine. Decrease font size a bit - 12px? -, now it is too big and doesn't work good with links on the left. What would newsitems looklike with such a big sized text? :worried:

Iframes are good For IE, but browsers like Mozilla, Nestcape, etc. could have some problems working with them. Maybe try tabels? They can be difficult, but I prefer them than the Ifreames. Don't know why, maybe becouse of some kind of universal utilization. ;)

Colors - for me - co-operate really good with each other. :) And the whole layout looks great :D Keep it up!

6. whits_house

whits_house Banned

Hiya erm i am not keen on the iframes either its keir who wanted them lmao :grr: i am still working on it. its on NTL webspace so its crap lmao you may need to delete ur cookies then revie the site and the i frames will be okay its NTL there stupid as and lycos wont HOST it as it says abusing the servecis i NEED A FREE GUD HOST :D and ideas peple thanks whits

7. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

There is a reason that images are not allowed in signatures on this forum, so don't try and get around the restriction by putting the damn thing at the bottom of every post. I seem to remember that someone else did this recently and one of the mods got pretty irritated when they had to go through every post manually and delete the images. Oh and would it really be that much of an effort to use some punctuation every now and again?

</rant>

8. whits_house

whits_house Banned

images SHOULD BE allowed in signatures. just shows how bad this fourms are then dont it this is a place were every one can get along and work 2gether STOP HAVING A GO AT ME I AM CARP AT PUNCTUATION THANKS FOOK I AM BUILDING MY OWN SITE WITH FOURMS THAT IMAGES CAN BE USED AS SIGNATURES.

I BID U GUD DAY

9. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

i like your navigation buttons! :thumb:

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

d00d, i like these forums really good help and I like to see what other people have done to see there case's and other radom stuff. i say shut up alex lol :hehe:

I think we have learned that tables should be used instead of the iFrame :clap:

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Let me tell you something, buddy. If the forum admin (who just happens to be me) says images aren't allowed, they they aren't, alright? If you wish to continue using these forums then I suggest you stay inline with the rules, else we'll be revoking your priviledge to post here. They're disabled for a good reason! A hostile reply from me here I know, but I find your attitude offensive especially the comment about 'how bad the forums are'.

Consider yourself warned.

12. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

First - your site is ok but why oh why does clicking the 'gallery' or 'forum' link open a new window?? If I wanted a new window I'd have asked my browser to give me one - I hate it when sites do that, open window after window - don't do it man. My mate keeps making sites that do that and I had to shout at him (j/k).

Second - advice, don't bother jipping the bit-tech admins. I doubt it'll win you any friends or new visitors to your website.

13. whits_house

whits_house Banned

soz m8 just getting a lil peed off as a few members on these fourms i hope no offence was dun ive cooled down now soz :thumb:

14. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Another reason not to use frames....

I had a brief look at your site again and bearing in mind what was mentioned above about it being a *BIG* site, i reduced the font size by using Ctrl+MouseWheel and sure the text reduced in size, but so too did the IFRAME! This happens on all the pages displayed with that frame...

Sorry mate... that is is a bit pants and needs fixing! :dremel:

Looking at the source I also notice that you have explicity coded font sizes etc; I would suggest that you use CSS - makes it easier to maintain (honest!!) Especially should youe ever want to reskin your site - which might well happen if the site takes off.

Was slow to load initially (over 64k at home first visit) - subsequent visits good , so i'm guessing its the images.

15. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

As far as the styling goes, it's OK. Nothing new, but certainly fairly easy on the eye.

As

I'm afraid as far as the HTML/coding goes the site sucks.

• The images are too large (therefore slow)
    • The HTML is not valid or validated
    • The HTML is styled inline rather than using CSS
    • The site is not Accessible (see WAI or WCAG)
    • It's not browser-independant

At lot of people still dont care about these kind of issues when they really should...

I'm not meaning to be unnecessarily harsh. I come from an ASP background rather than PHP, but I find both groups tend to neglect these areas, but there is no reason why they should.

Bottom line is that if you want to attract visitors from a broad spectrum and get listed on google, you at least need to be able to get your page to validate.

http://validator.w3c.org

You are not going to pick it all up straight away, but I recommend you have a go...

Good Luck

16. fg0d

fg0d Banned

umm.. you can start by changing the title and learn some html :D :D :D JP, although you do need to learn, DW wont help you. :| good luck