1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Gamecube region switch help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DRxAndy, 6 Feb 2004.

1. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

i've read tons of tutorials, and heard of several methods of soldering a switch on. The past couple days, i've been soldering to death, then putting back together and testing only to find it not work, but keeps me with the US region. I soldered so much (or so clumsily, damn i need a new iron, this one is a cheap piece of garbage) that i took off the us region's r6 bridge.

the wires i've been trying to use are just a little too big to fit in the hole method, and i cant get them to solder on correctly to the two region points

I wanted to try the japanese windwaker i own, so i spread solder across the r5 bridge, re-assembled and it worked hehe

so now i have a japanese cube, but i'd prefer to get that switch running

which method did you choose, and what gauge wire did you use?

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Im going to be perfectly honest....what the hell was all that incoherent rambling supposed to mean?

3. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

If you were to go to the store and buy a gamecube, it would be in the region of your country. The point of a region switch is being able to play imports.

gamecube has it easy, so instead of buying some modchip to play imports, you just solder two wires to the cube and attach them to a switch (to switch between regions)

the only region settings of choice are north america and japan - because europe is on the pal video format, while japan and north america are NTSC

hope that anwsered your question :D

4. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

Not necessarily the reply you want, but why not just get a Freeloader disc?

I've got one, and it lets me play UK games on my import US cube with no problem. Of course I can import US games cheaper than I can buy new UK games, but that's beside the point :)

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Ok thanks for streamlining that novel of yours... I borrowed my friends game cube (He does not know that I planned on doing with it :dremel: ) I found out that you simly have to solder a switch onto the main circut (there are numerous wlkthroughs on the net). If yours isnt working then maby you cooked a transistor/resistor/capacitator?

Any solid core wire will work, and I just used a SPDT with Center Off Flat Lever Heavy-Duty Toggle switch.

6. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Don't know if you can get it in the states, but get the Action Replay disc - comes with FreeLoader so you can play import games! Will save you from killing the cube if it gets that bad!

http://www.codejunkies.com

7. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

freeloader is for lazy people who dont like modding ;)
    modding is for lazy people who dont like freeloader

i figured out what i was doing wrong, i just needed to use one wire out of the many that come inside one insulated wire (because its far too big to fit through normally)

what i ran into as a problem is that i accidentally filled the hole next to the r5 gap with solder, and i cant get it out to stick a wire through... ack

i dont think i cooked any transistors though

i have a list of gamecube modding resources that i compiled after many hours of googling on my forums

take a look:
    http://www.drxandy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16

8. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

Yeah, but you can mod until you're blue in the face, and you won't get a US cube to play UK games...

9. Dragen

Dragen What's a Dremel?

actually, Japan uses both techs, NTSC ANS Pal, depends on where you are in Japan and what you buy

10. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

but what uk cube games are out that arent in the us or japan?

dragen > oo i didnt know that

11. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

No idea, but it's the principle of the thing :D

You could have got Mario Kart Double Dash!! a week earlier than the US release, but that's about all i can think of ATM.