1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft leaks details on Xbox Next

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 3 Feb 2004.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's cause ur playing on a TV @ 800x600 with no AA or AF and there's a frame limiter enabled iirc.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

also keep in mind that this is still a few years away, at which time those specs wont seem nearly as impressive

3. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

i dont see how its goin to be cheap, look at the dudes rig up there

fx51, 512, 9800 pro

well from the specs it would absolutely whooop your ass off - and i imagine your pc cost you well over a grand ? i imagine if you had a pc that could process the same as the supposed xbox next - it would be a 3 or 4 grand machine, and even in a years time theres no way it will be sub 300 quid

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But MS will cut a deal with Ati and IBM to produce these chips for the next 4 years after 2005/6, so, itll be £300 on release but will come down. Year old chips cost 50% of the price sometimes, when you add economies of scale etc. The R300 core is a good 18months/2 years old as it is.

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

From what i have read MS want to get Xbox Next out of the door by late 2005 to beat Sony by almost a year.

With regards to backwards compatibility its going to be a pain, as you will have to get nVidia and Intel to share what could be considered as confidential details to their competors ATI and IBM or give the info to MS so they can effectivly write an emulator for the old Xbox.

I do agree its a bad idea to pull the HDD out of the box, I agree that is a good selling point, and look at sony they are using HDD now, if they take it out it will be a step back apposed to a step forward.

Nikumba

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I said "consoles", not gaming systems ;)

7. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

yeah im sure they will cut a deal, and the prices will go down, but initially, they will pay the full price, then as they get cheaper, the console will as well, just even with the massive economies of scale i dont see how there gonna get 3 64bit 5ghz cpus for anywhere near decent money.

i understand that by the time the specs wont be AS impressive, but still, check the intel roadmaps, by 2005 we shall have 5ghz p4s - they will be top end, to have 3 processors the same speed, wont be as impressive when it comes to it, but even though, in a year or 2s time will still be a power horse, and i dont see how they can get 3 cpus, a r500 and whatever else they need for their price point (199.99)

8. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Don't forget HD, which is a couple steps above that.

1280i, I think, is 1280 x 1024, and I think they can do 1600i [ 1600 x 1200 ] too.

Then again, this is all so far that I'm skeptical that microsoft isn't just talking out of they're arse.

That is, talking between giants eruptions of money...

9. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

I don't see how what they decide to put in it makes a difference. Yes I would prefer to have a harddrive or at least a couple gig of internal flash memory so I don't have to buy memory sticks, and I would like to see backwards compatibility, but when it comes down to it aren't consoles about the games? When I first got my N64 I was blown away when I played Zelda OoT. I thought it looked stunning. The gameplay was awesome. Then I got an Xbox and again was blown out of the water not only by the graphics but by the gameplay of the games themselves. The users experience of the console is largely determined by the games that are developed and available for it. There are developers that will squeeze every last bit that they can from the current generation of consoles before they move onto the next. I'm looking forward to xbox next but Halo2 is coming out for the one I already have ;)

Microsoft have done alright thus far. They may not be the market leader (a sore spot for them I'm sure as they aren't used to it) in consoles but they have some of the best games, and they have the best online support hands down. I think they may have thrown that info out there to see what kind of reaction it would get so they can gauge their strategy towards what the fanbase wants. (at least that's what I hope)

10. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Something I have thought of regards backwards compatibility is it is only Sony who have done it with regards to home consoles im not on about portable ones.

11. HollywoodBob

HollywoodBob What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking their rationale for not having the hard drive is to force on chip dashboard so that people won't be modding their Xbox Nexts to run linux, or pirate dashboards. I mean stealing console games is lame, and I rather run linux on the 10$ 486 I use for my router. :D

It states backwards compatibility isn't gauranteed, that doesn't mean that it won't be there, just that it isn't at the moment.

I'd like to see it come stock with a blue tooth controllers, that probably won't happen but it'd be hella cool if it came out with no ports on the front. :rock:

As long as it has kick ass games, that no other console will have, I'll get one. I only bought my Xbox for Halo. :D

-HollywoodBob

12. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

on the subject of backwards compatability, lets not forget the add in convertor cards. Like the megadrive/genesis to master system thing (the gamegear one)

Tbh, i can actually see the removal of the hdd from M$'s point of view, cos no game has taken real advantage of the hdd so far, (apart from maybe the upcoming Fable). And the only people who really use a hard drive in their xboxes are those whove taken the orginal out and put a larger one in :naughty:

the system specs for the next xbox look insane tho. /me droles in anticipation :jawdrop:

13. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

Man, is it me or is that statement and the specs a little bit contradictory

14. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Don't see a contradiction there - if they're going to manufacture 5 million Xboxes - they will have one hell of a discounted order for component parts added to the weight a compnany like MS already has!

My 2p worth:
    The argument about who is *currently* backward compatible is a nebulus one; we're talking here about the fact a company is trying to establish a fan base. In designing the "mark II" version and not making it backward compatible they are effectively going to have to start from a zero fan base again. Will I buy a XBox2, not at the moment - in the forthcoming 2 years[ish] I am sure that there will many games that will become the *must* have and be ported to console systems; but are developers going to start coding 64Bit multithreaded games now? I dont think so... development costs are already high. One game I know of has been 5 years in the making and not even hit the streets yet (in fact I think it was pulled, despite being hailed a a game showing off the XBox's amazing graphics system.)

Lets face it, games like Halo, MoH and UT are making their mark in the gaming cummunity and I have heard in many forums people saying they bought the console *BECAUSE* of [one of] these games.... Now this might be the tail wagging the dog, but it also means that new people buying the XBox2 will not be able to partake in the *on-line experience. Microsoft have to wake up and smell the coffee that the people buying and playing are a community and not a mindless throng! ;)

The lack of an HD, or even the provision for one - someone mentioned USB sticks (nice idea) - is also shortsighted. Those playing MMoRPGs or games of that ilk, have a proven requirement for hard disk space... An alternative idea *might be* to provide such a psedo-drive port that enables games comanies themselves to provide a Game CD with a memory stick (or just the game on a memory stick...(?) Don't know - just a fledgling idea!

Well I'm kinda rambling here... so gonna be quiet and respond to some other posts ;)

See Ya
    Stu

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea i spose, but its not like a monitor even still.

I think they are dropping the harddisk to make the damn thing smaller i hope. Cant it have multiple levels of PCB like the cube??

The contradiction is: 3x cpus and ati gfx = low cost??

I mentioned usb sticks :D :lol: They could easily whack in say, 128meg internal flash mem, which is upgradable with usb sticks etc. 128meg flash is what.. £30? less?? if they buy by the gazzilion thatll be £15??

16. Jpantoga

Jpantoga What's a Dremel?

yeah, the only reason they arent including a hdd is because of the hackers that run linux on the regular Xbox. Microsoft wasnt happy with that so now they are removing the hd all together, which I think (from their point of view) is a wise decision

I SAY THIS BECAUSE IT IS TRUE, IN NO WAY OR FORM DO I LIKE WHAT MICROSOFT HAS DONE.

17. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Well over 4,000 $US actually w/o tax, but you were on the right path.

18. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

no no no no nooooo no no.

its not about linux - well partially but still dreamcast can run linux , i do on mine

also, theres a version of linux that runs on gamecubes

also theres linux for the ps2 :p

19. sirgeoph

sirgeoph What's a Dremel?

Okay, Atari 7800. It played Atari 2600 games straight out the box and the 5200 played 2600 games with an add-on.

Genesis 1, 2, and 3 (and the Nomad) all played the same games.

On top of the GBC and GBA mentioned earlier.

But besides the number of backwards compatible systems, it's not important. it's a marketing ploy. backwards compatibility is something companies tell you you need and everyone believes them.

I own a GameCube and a bunch of NES games. I want to still play my NES games. Guess what I do -- I play them on my NES. Same with my SNES. And my N64. It's called keeping the system. I mean, seriously. Most XBOX owners paid between 200 and 300 bucks for the system. Now, resell it today and on eBay, you might get 100 bucks. Now try and sell it in 2006 when the XBOXNext plays XBOX software. You'll be lucky to get 40 bucks. But if the XBOXNext doesn't play XBOX software, you'll probably get more for it -- but then you'll want to keep it. You lose either way.

Do this: play your XBOX games for 2 more years and enjoy the heck out of them. Then, at the end of 2005, plug in your XBOXNext and play those games. Not enough room for both systems? Unplug the XBOX. Trust me, when you get a brand new system (especially one as awesome as XBOXNext sounds) the XBOX won't be in the forefront of your mind.

The HDD is about the only saddening part of the statement. But if they make it optional and make it insert in the back similar to where the PS2's goes, it shouldn't be difficult to install yourself. Microsoft has said they want to make the system not only cheaper, but smaller. No HDD accomplishes both of those goals.

Also, it has been rumored that PS3 won't play PS1 games and but will more than likely play PS2 games. It's also rumored that Sony wants to put in a HDD in the PS3. Any one else find it odd that after those (unofficial) statements from Sony that Microsoft is saying the XBOXNext won't be backwards compatible and won't have a HDD? Sounds like someone's leaving a trail of breadcrumbs in the wrong direction...

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well i quite like memory cards which are nice and portable for when you go round to a mates house for a spot of gaming and need a save - better than taking a whole console. Besides, i've had s**tloads of memory cards in the last ten years or so and none of them have broken... amybe you have magic fingers...

Tags: Add Tags