1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once you taste water you don't go back??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_D_K, 7 Nov 2003.

?

Once you've tasted water, air just don't cut it

1. Agree

150 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Disagree

53 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Phase change baby. Yeah!!!!

35 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Other [please state]

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

k, you'll have to come here tho, mine is built into the house :D

2. TetarZ

TetarZ What's a Dremel?

once you've taste water you don't go back??

HEll no I prefer whisky

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

We have a comedian,

Anyway better to use pure alcahole then whisky its not got enuf content in it :D

Dagamore like the set up, prefere mine though

[​IMG]

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Now you're just bragging...

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: 22 Feb 2004
  5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

yes Nexxo :p

Nice rig i like your blocks, mmmm shinny

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

M_D_K tell me you're going to get rid of that nasty ass NB sink in favour of some shiny watercooledy goodness!! And that lonely little DDR slot is begging to be filled. And what's this - no Corsair? Oh dear! I'd have expected better of you :D

Now I'm on a roll, lemme think... 4 * 64bit PCI slots = 4 * 4 port SATA RAID cards each running an array of 250GB Maxtors (WCed obviously). That makes 4 TB (3TB usable in RAID 5 config). Nnnnnnice. Get some peltier action on those CPUs, or better yet - TWO prometia kits. Yeah! And it's GOT to be a 9800 XT with a pelt and some lovely waterblock action on top. A couple gigs of Corsair (4*512, or even 4*1Gig)

Course you'll need say 4 * 550Watt enermaxes, wired as per ScopeDog's P_R_I_M_E dual psu rig. Watercool these obviously. Maybe four Eheim 1250s driving four separate loops, each into a triple fan rad with 6 120mm Delta screamers (do they exist in 120mm format?) in push-pull config on each.

Think I may have gone a bit far :D - this is gonna be the size of a sherman tank, draw enough power to cause brownouts across a city, be noisy as hell, and demand air con in the room it's in. But what the hell! Imagine the bling-age!

Mod on... :rock:

7. Nexxo

Whoa, easy now boy, easy! :p Switch to decaff...

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Yeah the lonely little slot will be filled with a stick of crucial
    giving it a gig.

And id like to say your SATA idea is good but what i've got planned is kinda better.

Im barganing on ebay with a few 64-bit SCSI Raid contolers which will then lead to 15-20 36Gb + SCSI drives running in raid. All wrapped up in thsi custom 4U rack that im working on :D will take 20HDDS :p I was looking at a Dual 550w redundent PSU and just using them both together as a gig PSU but this will require me selling my left Kidney :D and maybe my Liver lol

It'll all be revealed soon enuf :D

O and LMAO at Nexxo quality :D [mmmm cafeine]

9. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

I've never actually tried water cooling to be honest, although I would quite like to. I've just chucked one of these on my 3.06ghz P4:

[​IMG]

I mounted a 92mm zalman fan on mine and the highest temp I've seen under full load so far is 40 degrees C. Not bad for an air setup I thought (I know the heatpipes must help a bit).

:thumb:

10. Nexxo

Hmmmm... nice shiny copper heatsink... with heatpipes, ahhhhh... :brrr: :brrr: :brrr:

11. Arkangyl

Arkangyl What's a Dremel?

just installed my WC'ing stuff last weekend;

went from 44c load (200x11) with my Volcano 7+

to 32c load with my RBX, Maze4 GPU, Heatercore, L30 setup

and thats with my RBX flowing backwards :duh: coming in the outlets and out the inlet....

gonna be fixing that soon though...

oh; and my best stable OC is 2.58ghz (225 x 11.5); I've booted to windows with 2.64 but its unstable as all hell.. corse my durn PSU is undervoltin so hopefully a nice new Enermax will fix that; now do I have any $$ left???

12. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Well, there's no going back for me, that's for sure. :baby:

If it weren't for my front mounted rad, I'd never have done my grille mod and got featured in this month's CustomPC (amongst other things...)

[​IMG]
    (click for 2560x1920)

I don't think I could have built an aircooled box that looked as good to me, personally. :shrug:

13. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Nah, try some Airplex Evo 1800s, each with 30 120mm fans :D

14. robdos

robdos What's a Dremel?

I have just installed the Asetk waterchill kit and I love it.

2500 @ 200x11 and 38 under load. All fans are 7v so its a quiet as a mouse.

I would not go back to air on a oc machine.

15. iggy

iggy Minimodder

heres my current setup just before its refit next week, bit dusty, but its about the tidiest setup ive seen anywhere, and you could fit this lot in pretty much any case, with the added bonus of near 0 head, pump wise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. KniFenForK

KniFenForK Minimodder

Got to say im addicted to watercooling. :D For my main rig I would nether go back to air, but for my servers and media rig air cooling is succifent enough. The fact that there is so much you can do with it and the fact that its really efficent, its totally addictive. I often find myself replacing parts and changing routes! :)

17. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Well ive been there & done it. Then quit it again and now im having another go. :thumb:

I watercooled my first pc way back in early 2001. It was a dogey 400celeron that did not need it but for me the most interesting bit about building computers is the cooling system and the attual physical engineering of it. i built the whole lot myself and i had very little knowlage about it so i just copyed what everyone else was doing. it worked for the 400cellery but as that was years out of date it was pretty pointless.

After the cellery my perants brought a oem pally1600 (which was highly annoying as i could have built something 10 times better for half the price!). i tryed to adapt the old watercooling to fit the 1600 but it was soo poor i went back over to air insted.

When i brought my current (ish) system about a year ago the sk-7 had just come out and was giving just as good temps as watercooling so again i did not bother and just went the easy root with air again.

But now im just bord of it! so im haveing another go and this time ive got 3 years of experiance to put into it so i should be able to put together something to rival the best.

For me water is more than just cooling it is a way of life!! haha :lol:

18. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

No going back!!!
    Only about 2-3 weeks with watercooling, but this is here to stay!
    My XP2600 was running upto 49*C on air, stock speed!
    Now i have it running at XP3600 speed, hottest i have seen it is 40*C MAX!
    Turned my FSB from 333 to 420, and using 2x120 mm fans @ 7v gives me LOWER noise than regular aircooling too. + by mounting the radiator on top of the case, on the outside, my case temp dropped about 5*C too.
    + it looks very good :D

The complete kit + 1 XP2600(Running @ 3600+) costed LESS than a XP3200
    at that time. Money saved!

19. firelord-ochw

firelord-ochw What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    'nuff said :hehe: :lol:

As for it being difficult to route tubing thats rubbish! If you plan carefully and take your time then it looks fantastic and is dead easy to maintain! I had a Maze4 till I recently switched to a LRWW and I had it running for 3 months no major maint (apart from cleaning the rad of dust as I did with my HSF!) and have transported if back and forth from uni (unfilled but takes 15mins to fill and bleed properly)

I could no longer air cool it would HAVE to be watercool my main rig and air cool something like a HTPC or shuttle.

No leaks ever here :) use plenty of PTFE tape and jubilee clips!

Watercooled is my next project :)

20. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Yeah I LOVE my watercooling setup. I would probably put one on my dual proc server but my money is a little short.