1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : Little Boy *Small Update 09/16*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cecil-San, 6 Feb 2004.

1. chunky_monkey

chunky_monkey What's a Dremel?

Nice case, like the fresh ideas you are putting in to it. Are you going to go with a jet engine theme all over? If so you could make a fan grill/end piece that looks like the compressor vanes on a jet engine.

edited by eddie_dane

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Feb 2004
  2. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

But it may suck them in and blast out red chunks if you don't put some grills on that thing. Good work on this, I love the idea. I'm looking forward to seeing the control panel working.

3. Evilhue

Evilhue What's a Dremel?

This is looking like it's going to turn into the threat about the Soviet case. Seriously, political issues should be discussed somewhere in the General Forums. Not modding. It is and is just plain annoying when you want to read about cases and people are discussing World War II.

Anyways, I can't wait to see some more progress on this case.

4. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

DAMN!!!its only a case
    (bloody awesome looking one at that top job :thumb: )
    Big respect for the imagination and the ideas req'd to do a case of this scale and if you doesn't like it then dont look at it, nobodies forcing you to

5. ionpcs

ionpcs Banned

I knew that intelligence did exist in the forums... edited by eddie_dane

That's it... one more post like that and it will be your last here.

6. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Alright...time to stop this...
    I won't quote what was said, as I'm sure you all have the ability to click the links

As I stated before Ion, I'm very sorry you feel this way..I never intended someone to be offended...and your point is valid..but never in anyway shape or form am I promoting an atomic theme...read through the log again as I'm sure you only looked at the pictures

Yes, the name does say Little Boy..but that was just a name that stuck between me and my roommate..it seemed to fit..not only does it have a tube like design (similar to a bomb) but its name is an oxymoron to its design..(ie. deafening silence)

As for the fan discussion..that will end also..While I do appreciate all the research and problem solving..as stated..extremely low temps were not included nor meant to be included into the design of this project, mainly it fit the theme and I wanted the functionality (meaning 2 fans blowing air compared to 5-6 fans) and asthetic look of the fans..constant air blowing across most if not all objects was the main idea...nothing more..leave it be..

Once again, I appreciate all and any input, I'm not trying to offend/piss off/put down/or any other type of negative to anyone in any shape or form...I'm doing what I and most everyone here enjoys....and I decided to share it w/ you..take it or leave it..

But Project : Little Boy will continue as planned

That being said...onto pictures of work today..
    Btw..today was not a great day for modding.....I ended up messing up the control panel (just the plexi...I can remake tomorrow) the couplers that came aren't what I need..I will send back and get some keystone jacks that will work better...and I fried an LED trying to test its brightness...haha.. :waah:

Heres what I DID get done

[​IMG]
    Got the HUB mounted to the MB tray...all good and tight in there..

[​IMG]
    Front of MB tray and such...the board shown here isn't the board that was sized...just a placement for now..

[​IMG]
    Opp. end..just to show how HUB is mounted

[​IMG]
    Just to show you how close the MB comes to spinning doom! :D
    Sure hope nothing goes wrong!

I'll see how much I get done tomorrow...can't do a whole lot til I get more parts in...

- Cecil-San

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Updates look sweet dude :thumb: May I ask a question though? How are you going to access the ports on the hub? Like is the bit behind the mobo tray in the tube going to be cut out, or are you going to do something totaly custom like making your own flush ports? Maybe incorporating it into the control pannel? Or did you allready answer this?

[EDIT] Haha, my question showed first Altron :p[/EDIT]

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

What kind of hub is that?

I'm guessing it's for LANs (i.e. you plug your neighbors computers into it and connect to the big switch at the LAN)

Will you relocate the ports towards somewhere else?

Person: "I'll plug my computer into your hub now"
    Person: "Argh! I lost my arm"

EDIT: 'twould appear malfoleo and I posted at the same time... again :hehe:

9. glennd_05

glennd_05 What's a Dremel?

how are you going to orient the mobo? what i mean is which way are the pci slots going to face, perpendicular to the airflow, or with the airflow? don't know why i thought of that but i did.

anyhoo great mod and i think the whole name/theme thing being offensive is just a bunch of bs. if you don't like it don't look at it. simple as that

keep up the geat work :thumb:

-glenn

10. Cecil-San

I already answered this..but I have no problem doing it again...I'll answer them both as one... :D

I will run normal Cat5 cable from each port to the control panel..(see 8 empty squares in panel) each square will house a keystone jack

[​IMG]

Which in turn you will "jack" into via your own Cat5 at a LAN..reason I'm doing this is because at our normal LAN's we go to...it seems we either forget a hub..or just don't have enough...this way I won't forget it... :D

Its a TRENDnet TE100-S88E+, 8 ports of 10/100 Mbps based N-Way switch (really a switch..but essentially the same as a hub)

- Cecil-San

11. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

edited by eddie_dane
    lol @ alt and malf ;) i was thinking the same thing lol ' you wanna lan here? well, you gotta risk it :p'

Just a question man, how big is this thing in total? (metric would be nice lol, but if you have to do it in imperial thats cool)

12. Cecil-San

Unfortunatly...the PCI cards will have to face flat, closest to the rear fan..(I'll have to reinforce the cards so as to not "snap" when I hit high on the fan :D )...reason being is that the cards are just too tall...if I switch it around..the control panel and wires run right into the cards...I may double check..but in my 1st inital placement..the control panel and cards just wouldn't fit..and since I'm right handed..I need the control panel to be on the left side of the case (that way the comp can sit on my right..and I can reach all my controls)

Btw..its 3' long...36"...15" in diameter...(not sure on your funny "metric" :hehe: )
    May seem big...and it is...but when it comes down to it...I'm stressing for space..lol...shoulda gone for 4'

- Cecil-San

13. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

That case radiates class man :D

14. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

edited by eddie_dane

How come you mounted the hub at an angle? :)

Is the psu going to be attached to the mobo tray or spereratly to the sides of the tube?

15. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

OK, as you can see, I have had to do some cleaning. If you want to talk politics, please go to the Serious Discussion forum, if you want to insult the intelligence or insult other members, you can go outside the boundries of this website.

Worklogs are for people to share their work. Yes, they are subject to fair and constructive criticism but this is not a forum to discuss the socialogical ramificiations of a tube of aluminum with a PC in it.

If you expect people to keep coming in here and sharing their work, it has to be an environment favorable to that.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2004
  16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

How will you mount it to the floor so it doesn't roll over?

I'd say get a piece of MDF and cut a circle the diameter of the case in it, then cut it in half, giving you two half-circly things. (THey would look like rectables but with a half circle cut out of one side). Then mount both of these perpendicular to a piece of MDF and put wheels on it. Then paint the MDF.

17. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

For those of you who want metric measurements, it's 37.5mm in diameter and just under a meter long.

Once again, kudos to you, Cecil-San.

18. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

19. Cecil-San

I decided on the angle mount because of how close the MB tray and items come to the rear fan...when its at an angle..I can run the Cat5 cables into a sort of cable tie and then right up the side of the tube to the control panel...that way it keeps it nice and tight...and I don't have someone's network connection severed during a LAN... :naughty:
    Or as some say...when bits and pieces come flying out the front of the case...... :duh:

The PSU is already mounted....its mounted via a single screw up through the bottom (as seen in pics) Only problem...is..well..in order to put the actually PSU back in its case...I'll have to attach it to the tube..then crawl myself into the tube..and resolder the few connections, as the PSU sits ontop the screw mount.....we'll see how many burns I recieve that way.. :waah:

I haven't quite decided on how I will stop it from rolling..it only needs some small support on each side...I may possibly use a ski type design...but I don't want to use wheels..not only do I not want it to actually be pushed away during a LAN (either by fan force or person)...but I personally dislike cases that have wheels...(Other than Heavy Metal! :rock: )

I've been sitting here racking my brain as to what you mean by MDF??? Please explain...lol...

- Cecil-San

20. Jonas79

Jonas79 What's a Dremel?

MDF is a material :) Have no idea what it stands for, but it's kinda wood like and it's relatively cheap. It has become popular here to make bookshelves in the material since it's easy to work with. It's solid colored brown though, so painting it is a good idea.

You should be able to buy it at any place selling building material.