1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's Media PC -Project on hold

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 4 Jan 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Some of the reasosn you said, are also the reason this project is on hold.
    (as I already have a TVIO, but it has may annoying quirks)

If a moderator wants to lock the thread that is fine with me, as it will be a while until I can work on this again, life is just getting busy.

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I agree hole heartidly. The point of modding doesn't allways have a point, people do things because they want to. Yeah, sure, get a p4, let it overheat with good cooling, let it boast a big ol' clock rate, yet lag behind an athlon that's half it's speed. Clock rate is not everything, true pc fanatics know this. Anyways, thats sevearly off topic. He is doing this because HE WANTS TO. It does not mean you have to do it, nor does it mean that you can bash him for putting his hard work into something like this. I heard a quote once, "Truely ignorant be the one who does not even have the decency to ebb down his own rudeness". So, lay off him, this is an absolutely astounding project, and as he has allready said, he has no current need for it, so it's just taking a backseat priority, but obviously for him to want to start something like this, the need HAD TO OF BEEN THERE. Even if it is not there now.

[EDIT]heh, Zap answered before me :blush:[/EDIT]

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!!!...j/k...

people like you buy classic cars in good condition. whats the point? you get to know you made it. and you get the satisfaction of using a bitchin computer that you completely made a computer that can control your TV. does gateway or dell make a media center that is as nice looking as that?

whats more fun than making stuff thats really nice looking and serves a function? my neighbor takes old school norton and harleys and restores them to off the line condition. you get to work with your hands, and make something beautiful.

it's like explaining humor to an alien, if you don't get it right off, don't bother trying to get someone to explain. you still won't get it. you just gotta be wired that way... pardon the pun.

4. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

First: if you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything.
    Second: Maybe he ENJOYS doing this??
    Third: he mentioned that he doesnt want this to just be a Media PC, but a Media CENTER. He wants to eventually be able to do much more than just TV and Music. He already included a system to control he house lights. :read:
    Lastly: He likes AMD so he works for AMD so he buys AMD. Thats his opinion and you have yours but you don't have to flip out on him for his.

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Congratulations, you just did the metaphorical equivalent of walking into the Vatican and burning a cross.

6. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

...or walking into a homeless shelter and burning a bum...

...or something as wrong as liking macs...

...or dissing zapwizard...

...get the idea i don't like macs?...

7. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

First thing: before anymore flames consume you, Zap works for AMD :duh:

Second thing: who cares if he is spending a lot of time and money on this, it's his buisness, and it's cool that he lets us watch the construction.

Thrid thing: Gateway is crap, learn and live with it. :D

8. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

:duh: :rolleyes: hey ion your the kind of guy that...

would buy a honda civic and change the oil filter and say you modified it

or

add a LED fan to your hewlett packard pavilion and say your case is l33t

or

take a shotgun and shoot your case saying its art and they are blowholes

if you actually read this entire article would know this htpc will have way more features then any tivo will ever have... plus he has the joy of saying that he built all of that. Unlike buying a compaq htpc and saying hey i bought that. people like you just need to roll over and die

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Comparing Media PC to Gateway HTPC is like compairng a BMW to a plastic tricycle; they both get you there, but the Media PC does it better.

10. Go4t

Go4t i

the media pc is gonna be the coolest thing ever. i just got done reading every single page of this (dont ask me why) i think zap can do anything he wants even if it is as imppossible as his pda with the glasses :D

11. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

*LOL* Poor guy never had a chance! But he does bring up some good points; however, one of the main points FOR doing this is getting the satisfaction of building and modifiying it yourself! I am going to blame TimeWarner for part of the reason this project is NOT finished! :D *grumbles* damn TIVO

BTW how do you tell an AMDer that a Intel processor is better? :duh: Gotta be a noob! :^) j/k

12. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

reason not to use tivo and rasons to use the media pc

1. doesnt tivo cost money to use im poor
    2.hacking a tivo could be some what complicated
    3.you can do much more with a pc

question??? i may have read it i may have missed it ive been on this sence the start a few years ago from what i understand your making all you drivers for the hardware are you going to make an os or are you going to linux (1) or windows (sigh 2)

13. Whis5555

Whis5555 What's a Dremel?

First, Zap, Awesome, I could but several million adjectives like that here, but I would have to get up and get my dictionary and theosauras.
    Second, Flamers, like that, just ignore them....

Kinda Reminds me of Twinke On Guru3d.com hmm....

14. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Why dont some people understand its always much more fun to build your own pc's than to buy some crappy of the shelf pc with generic components that you have no control over,
    Its all about the sense of acheivement and pride you get when you can turn round to your friends and family and say "I did that"

I like the classic car/bike analogy (spelling?) being as when I'm not using my homebuilt system (which BTW cost a lot less than buying a ready made one of the same spec for the doubter in this thread :wallbash: ) I'm either working on my 1965 ford cortina or fiddling with my mates classics and customs

and yes one of zapwizards creations did bring me here ,ORAC is possibly the singular most impressive looking computer I have ever seen anyone build

15. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Cant some moderator just ban that ionpcs guy. He has been posting stupid things in the wrong forums. Not only do I get annoyed by his stupid remarks, but the thread gets clogged up with flame messages.

Yes this does sound like a flame :D

Zapwizard: Sorry for this post, but I hope a moderator will warn that ionpcs guy.

16. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

ionpcs, you just dont get it, moddin is for self satisfaction, to get something to do exactially what you want and to say"I made that".

and i think zap started this project before most of the retail htpc's came out, maybe they stole his ideas

17. Albinn

Albinn What's a Dremel?

Well, aren't you a moderator?

18. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

He only moderates the mod guides section.

19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

gr8 work zap love to see a person take his time and do it rite. your amo case is what brought me here. love the work you do keep it up.

20. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

lol, his mods brought me here as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.