1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-= the weldery =-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bo.v, 22 Dec 2003.

1. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

progress report:

- locks fitted (ignition and front flipdown lock)
    - sawed out the hole for the reservoir (testfit see picture)
    - bought a door closing gas thingy ...

[​IMG]

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Looking good.

You might want to consider sound dampening for the pump for the watercooling setup (unless you want to move the water by convection, which is a questionable idea) and the drives, because with a lack of fans these will make a bit of noise. Don't bother with the stuff at modding stores, get some 1" thick foam and mount the pump on top of that, attaching it to the panel with metal rods that have springs on them.

You would attach 4 metal rods to the bottom of the case.

Then take 4 springs and put them on the rods

Then put the pump on them, with a chunk of foam below the pump. You could also consider taking some thinner foam and making a little box for the pump.

3. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

both pump and harddisk will be suspended ... harddisk (barracuda IV) encased in a silentdrive ...

I don't think it is necessary to encase the pump, but if I can hear it when I am done, I will :)

dvd and cd-r will be the noisiest components, but as they are only used once in a while, I don't think I will bother width them ... then again, their mounting thing should make it possible to mount them on foam or rubber ... will post some pictures tonight of the mounting stuff so far ...

4. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

that is beautiful metal. What is the design pattern called? Textured? It looks almost like diamond plate, but in groups of 4 instead of 1 and the shape of the ribs are different. Very cool :thumb:

5. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

well it's bought as "dørk plade" but searching around for it on the net, I found a lot of places selling similar stuff as "tread plate".

6. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

yeah, it looks like the normal pattern used on walkways.

7. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Not to rain on your parade, but your cuts look crooked. Great idea on the case and everything. How are you mounting the motherboard? As far as painting the L brackets, black would give it a very modern look. I don't think white would look good at all.

As far as the sound dampening, pack the sides all over with the foam, then use some well placed 7V fans to move the air around in there. That big of a case, it's going to be hard.

8. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

yeah I see the crookedness in some of the pictures, but I have a hard time seeing the same when I measure and look at it in real life ... figured some of the reason is taking pictures at a crooked angle...

I am not going to sound dampen, the whole point of the case is to have no fans at all. The size is mainly to insure no obstructions to the air rising through the case.

mounting the motherboard .... hmmm not totally figured out yet ... I am thinking of drilling mounting holes for a mb tray in small pieces of metal and gluing them to the inside with the bondo like metal filler, and mounting the mb tray to that, should be pretty invisible.

agreed on the white, it was just a wacky idea, to spur some discussion ... I have bought matt black paint plus primer and clear coat, but if someone comes up with a nice alternative I might still reconsider.

can anyone guess led lighting colors for the case? :)

9. Xiliqueirn

Xiliqueirn What's a Dremel?

You could also use plexi on the inside for the mobo tray...but metal would be cool as well. It's looking really cool and quite..."industrial". I really like the diamond pattern steel, and I'm glad to see some fabricated handles. Now if only I could weld.

10. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

well, I don't fancy making a costum mb-tray, the pci cutouts and holder thingy is not something I would enjoy making, and since I won't have a window, there is a limit to how much energy I will spend on beautifying the inside.

btw, the handle is a $5 store bought item, it's aluminium, not steel, and no welding ... read the thread? :)

ps: to providence, if the cuts you are talking about are the L-brackets ... yeah they are quite bad, but as noted earlier, they will be fixed and painted ...

11. Xiliqueirn

Xiliqueirn What's a Dremel?

LoL
    That's what you get for posting too late at night.
    I meant I'm glad to see a fabricated case, and that I like the handles! =)

12. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

update, door closing gas thingy installed, and pictures of the locks:

edit: btw. the lock on the left will get a cover like the one on the right ... the left one locks the case, the right is a power keyswitch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Feb 2004
  13. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

DUDE, I cannot stress how badass Black and Chrome look together. If you're worried about shine you could always get the brackets dipped to black chrome. Wicked case tho

14. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

This is an awesome idea, what's cooler than a huge metal cube for a case?
    A: A metal cube with a refrigeration coil :)

Someone I talked to wanted to make a case out of similar sheet metal.

Looks like someone beat him to the punch.

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Thats doggone spiffy looking :D I like the chrome ideas... I like them alot... I think you should put standard chrome on the sheet metal, and use black chrome on the brackets. That would be one of the shiniest, most kick ass case in history!

16. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

well, chroming is a bit expensive, the plan is flat black on the brackets, and clearcoat all over, should be able to get a nice finnish that way, without breaking the bank :)

17. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

SUPOID
    keep it up mate

18. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

hey, this idea might be a bit late with u of having cut ur cd holes already, but have u ever thought of stealthing the cd rom behind the crome stuff, and having the button elsewhere on your case, like having the button ontop or somthing, that opens up the cd rom drive thats cloaked behind the metal stuff that matches with everything else, like, you can hook up the button just by opening it up and getting the two cables from the button thats hooked up inside the cd rom drive, then u can connect that to a button ontop of the case, and then cut out a hole for the cd rom and glue the metal to that. Does that make scence?

19. bo.v

bo.v What's a Dremel?

actually, yes ... and they will be stealthed ... only part visible will be the tray of the cdrw popping out of the lower hole ... the buttons will not be accessible without opening the case, but eject in windows works fine :)

20. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

damn... great idea on the front... and i love the res mounting..

this one is looking sweeet... keep it up