1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Award: best language

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by relix, 2 Feb 2004.

1. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'm fully aware that most people who 'use' bad grammar are just lazy. I would like to see people using correct English - the internet is all about communication, and it breaks down when laziness sets in.
    where != were != we're
    there != their != they're
    etc...

2. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

But one might equally suggest that by using programing / logic terminology, rather than saying 'does not equal' you're excluding vertitable swathes of people from clearly and quickly understanding your post, given that knowledge of programing and logical terms is even more optional than a grasp of basic grammer in the English language ;)

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

;)
    anyway, I would hope that != is actually quite obvious in meaning, especially in the given context.

4. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I get annoyed at people that have time to post, but don't have the time to check their spelling and grammar so that others can read it with ease.

It's one of my pet peeves, along with spammers and flame wars. :sigh:

Penski would win the award, tbh (but then again he's a mod and therefore doesn't qualify for contests :D ).

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

penski's posts are so short that he doesn't have space to make mistakes!

*j

6. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Really?

*y

7. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

He'd have competition, I'm quite proud of the care I put into my posts (though sadly the same can't be said of my IRCing, I'd look like JADS if I started capitalising and punctuating in there :p)

8. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

Although as with near anything in life, it's never quite as simple as that; what with Dyslexia and such like. It's a little unfair to label much in those cases to apathy.

9. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

True, but people who tALK IN ALL CAPS FOR A SENTENCE OR TWO AND THEN REALISE AND SAY (oops sorry for caps) should be shot, and I don't think there's a form of dyslexia that prevents you from using full stops ;)

10. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I get quite annoyed with people who have extra time in exams due to dyslexia. I feel everyone else is unfairly discriminated against. I mean, if you are naturally dim, and without being nasty, some people just can't seem to grasp concepts as quickly as others, then surely you shoudl be given time aswell. Dyslexics have trouble understanding the question, stupid people have trouble grasping the concepts. I see no difference.

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

actually dyslexia usually affects reading speed, and is almost always linked with higher intelligence. it's not that they don't understand, they just take longer to physically read and write.

12. micb

micb Minimodder

IMO a spelling/grammar award is elitest BS....... stop blowing your own trumpets.....

I do have a split view on forum spellling/grammar.

I firmly believe in "technical style" posts i.e. users asking for help or users replying with technical answers should be conducted with decent spelling and grammar if possible as semantics are important as a objective is trying to achieved.

However in fun/non problem solving threads I believe spelling, grammar and language can be less important.

13. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

you gimp

i find what you said insulting, i dont have dyslexia but i ahve a servere co-orrdination problem that means my spelling is crap and my typing is worse

i ahd extra time in exams as i needed it jsut like people with dyslexia need it - did i pay for it, well i payed for it with the dialy beetings for being a spaz and the breakdown the bullying gave me right before my gcse's

i ahve explained my problems time and time again and most people accpt my posts may be difficult to read and ask me to spend some more time re-writing it BUT it seems that threads liek this for example some people are so fare up there own ****ing arses with there perfect spelling they dont relaise some people just cant

its days liek this i wonder why i bother coming here

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

in that case I think you're missing the whole point of exams - to discriminate. (between people who understand/know things about a subject.)

PS - you do pay in other ways as well - psychological tests/assessments etc.

15. WireFrame

That is not entirely the point of exams. If they merely wanted to assess how much you know, they wouldn't put a time limit on the exam, and then extend it for a certain subset of people.

samuelellis, what point are you making here?
    Fair enough, you got extra time, and you're not dyslexic. You have trouble physically writing. Now what about someone who has trouble grasping concepts? Its not that they CAN'T answer the question, they just take longer to understand what the question is asking them. Do you feel that because you have a physical problem, and they have a psychological one, that you deserve extra tme and they do not?

There is no need to be like that. Nobody has directed this post at you, this is not a witch-hunt. Im sure people who have troble grasping concepts feel as frustrated as you clearly do because of your typing problem. In a bizarre and angry way, you have agreed with what I said originally. :worried:

Paying? who mentioned paying? What? The schoolyard is a cruel and unkind place. I fail to see what relevance your schoolyard trauma has on the amount of time you were allocated in an exam...? :eyebrow: If you found what I said insulting, I apologise. It was not intended as such.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2004
  16. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

actually, I believe it is - the tim limit is purely practical, and the extensions are so they can say they're not discriminating by other factors than knowledge.

17. WireFrame

Limiting the number of Tims? Is this discrimination too? ;)

Other than knowlegde and the speed at which you write. But what I'm saying is the less mentally gifted should also recieve time extensions for being mentally slower at working out problems rather than physically slower at putting down the answer.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2004
  18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

busted.

19. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

No need to start name-calling.

Does this apply to your reading as well? Can you spend a few moments proof-reading your posts before clicking on the submit button? If you did, you would soon learn that you misspell the same words the same way all the time. It may cause you to recognize a commonly misspelled word as you come to it and possibly change the habit to spelling it correctly.

I just heard a statistic recently, can't remember where, that most people who claim to be dyslexic, aren't. It's an excuse they use to keep from having to take responsibility for their poor language skills.

I think even those who are dyslexic, or have coordination problems like you, have a responsibility to themselves and others they wish to communicate with to take the necessary steps to improve their handicap, if possible. Proof-reading is one of those methods. It may take longer, but your readers take longer to read your messages, so it's a give and take situation.

Grump

20. ThrrrpT

ThrrrpT What's a Dremel?

I too find what Wire Frame said slightly insulting.

I do have a form of of dyslexia whitch affects my reading and writing but usually in numbers eg I might read the number 9674 as 6974 then write it again as 6947. However I have never had extra time in an exam because of it although I do understand why some people might.

This 'condition' i have rarely shows through as I try to be careful when writing and typing and I can see no reason for those with the same or simmilar conditions to type baldy as often the mistakes made can be prevented by being more careful when typing or corrected by proof-reading.

For those reasons I feel that if this fun 'award' was implemented it would in no way discriminate except against those who do not understand the english language.