1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spelling

Discussion in 'General' started by malcs, 15 Feb 2004.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

There are times I get annoyed when people think they're using the correct word for 'their'.

2. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

I s'pose you can dictate the spelling of your own name, even if it's a nick-name, but you're wrong about the "rule". Names are capitalized. It doesn't matter if they're a nick or not, proper names are capitalized. In my opinion, people who purposely misspell a name, have no right to complain if someone, who doesn't know the person has purposely misspelled the name, uses proper English convention to spell the name.

If you have a real aversion to the capital "Q", you should seek help. It sounds serious.

Grump
    PS: It's spelled "capitalization".

3. penski

penski BodMod

American English isn't a real language. Repent.

*n

4. quack

quack Minimodder

Well said ;)

I don't mind capital Qs where they belong, but one does not belong at the beginning of my nickname. Never has, never will.

Nicknames can, and will be, spelt and capitalised however the user sees fit, they do not need to follow any particular rules of any language; they don't even need to be 'real' words because they're nicknames... all my personal opinion of course :) If someone writes their nick a certain way, it should be written the same way in reply. :thumb:

PS, the capitalisation of nicknames on IRC can mean something entirely different. I'm not part of the BDSM scene by any means, but I do know that having a capital letter at the beginning of the nick signifies Domination, all lowercase denotes Submission. :worried:

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

We sent them packing on the Mayflower with -izations, it's the recent stuff like color and center that makes me want to pat them on the head.

Aluminum (A-loo-min-um) was the result of a typo. :rolleyes:

6. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

I find "teh" to be a cool replacement. :D

7. penski

penski BodMod

Mainly submissive but switch...

...pEnSkI?

*Shudders*

*n

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Capitalisation of username

On some websites the username can be case sensitive (so Blademrk would be a completely diferent user to blademrk) so I can see quack's preference to dropping the capitalisation.

I don't mind abbreviations to a point, but the "l33t" text speak does tend to annoy me a bit (if only 'cos I can't understand half of it :worried:).

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I'm improper. :p :D

10. quack

quack Minimodder

Me too. :D

11. Sinix

Sinix What's a Dremel?

Most of the time it is the lack of punctuation that bothers me - it's much easier to decipher spelling errors than one-sentence paragraphs.

12. Perpetual Notion

Perpetual Notion What's a Dremel?

You know, it's actually a real treat to hear some people getting a bit irate over the degradation of language and I whole heartedly agree on most all accounts. The most notable exception is on everyone’s complaints about people screwing up their homonyms. I write for the ear, not the eye, and when heard “they’re,” “their,” and “there” are the same thing (as are “its” and “it’s”.) I’m not trying to excuse the mistake; I make it all the time and kick myself in the pants for it, earnestly trying to fix it at every turn.

However, my brain doesn’t process the info quite the same way and I hope people will make allowances for it. Some of us process things audibly and we’ll fire off an “its” when we mean “it’s” or an “accept” when we mean “except.”

All I ask is a little understanding at the fallibility of my meager college student abilities. Just as I forgive those who put “are” and “our” next each other in a sentence; those being two syllables which should not be allowed contact in anything approaching polite company, lest they become violent with each other in the mouth and erupt in a groaning croak that takes the speaker with it on an elocution safari.

laterz, ;)
    Perp

13. TMM

TMM Modder

"teh" is teh l337
    :D

lol... I'm to blame here, i always type up my posts, hit submit and then EDIT them straight away if i screw it up (usually)

its a bad habit..... :grr: :D :hehe:

14. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I must admit, having to act like a cable box (decoding signals) is getting slightly annoying.

A message to the people:
    STOP BEING SPASTICS AND LEARN TO SPEEL AND SUE. CORRECT, GRAMMAR.

:worried:

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

one thing that I find more annoying than some dodgy spelling is the people who feel it is their right to bitch about it all the time

the odd spelling mistake or punctuation error isn't that big of a deal imo
    i can understand the complaining about txtspeak ot 1337 speak as it can sometimes be impossible to understand, but surely as long as you can understand what someone is saying that should be fine, shouldn't it? :confused:

16. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Wow, what a debate this has turned into.

I just have decided that if I am finding it difficult to read someone's post (due to poor spelling/grammar), it isn't worth my time to attempt to read it, so they are ignored.

Simple as that, you don't care to take the time to make your post readable, I don't take the time to read it. Seems fair enough to me.

No use moaning about it, people are going to do whatever they darn well please, no matter what you say.

17. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I said it lightheartedly. Put the bloody handbag down.

18. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

No YOU put the bloody handbag down.
    Seriously, I agree with Yo-DUH_87. If you can't read it, don't, ar ask the person to edit/repost whatever it was they mutilated to the point that you couldn't even understand it.

19. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Seconded. I'm sure poor spelling annoys all of us, as it shows either ignorance or laziness. In typing this message I mis-spelled several words but I made the effort to correct them because I feel it reflects badly on me to have my posts full of errors. However, I, like Yo-DUH_87, choose to ignore it and rise above it. After all, most of what appears on the forums is at least readable, and if it isn't, then that is the poster's problem and not mine, and if they can't be bothered to make sure their writing makes sense, it probably isn't even worth reading anyway.

20. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

I'm very self concious about my grammar on forums. You present an image to others when you speak here, whether you write for the ear or eye it still may look wrong.

Example: "their is a box of tools" It hurts the eyes just to LOOK at it.

If you don't want to bother with spelling, thats your choice, its a free country (world?). I think the point of all of this is to show people with dodgy spelling that they look like they pounded on the keyboard in order to post that message.