1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need advice for new graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tribal Dragon, 9 Feb 2004.

?

Which high end card you would buy?

1. 9800 pro 128mb

77.8%
  2. FX5900 128mb

18.5%
  3. Parhelia512 128mb

3.7%
  1. batsman

batsman the quiet one

are they the same people that live their lives by 3d mark?

Kameleon, as i said it's only what i heard from talking to friends and what not, as I also said I have not experience of ATI.

was meant to be a neutral comment, i disslike getting involved in the ATI vs nvidia or intel vs AMD arguments.

2. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Ati write their drivers properly, rather than pretending that 10 driver releases will double the performance of your card without lowering imgage quality.

3. J3mZ

J3mZ What's a Dremel?

At the end of the day though, right now both nvidia's highest card and Ati's are both VERY close. With the 9800XT coming out ontop abit more often on benchmarks. When it comes to directx9 on the other hand nvidia has only made a half assed attempt with the FX cards as they fall to pieces.

I had never bought an Ati card before i got my 9800pro, but it has a much better price/performance, and its a killer Dx9 card.

Oh, and i aint had a single driver/game issue since i got my 9800pro, just rock solid all the way through :thumb:

4. Spotpuff

Spotpuff What's a Dremel?

9800 all the way if you've already got that kind of cash to blow.
    Parhelia sucks jeez what is that even doing on this list?

5. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

well if you would have read the first post you would know :lol:

6. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Utterly OT...

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them?

:worried:

7. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I'll let you off with AF, it makes things look quite nice, but AA is the most pointless invention in the world, IMHO. The most hilarious thing is that it overwhelms all but the high end graphics cards, so why put it on the budget ones?

Personally, I don't have a problem with jaggies, so I get great framerates out of my 9600 Pro and XP 2100 at 1024x768 by not using AA or AF :thumb:

8. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

Antialiasing makes a huge difference imo. It's the difference between fake jagged looking graphics and beautiful smooth as silk graphics. I can't play without antialiasing anymore. I didn't mind jagged edges back when i had my gf4 but i mind them now. I tried some different catalyst drivers the other day. The antialiasing wasn't working and i played DC without antialiasing and it was driving me crazy. I just can't play without it anymore. You don't know what you're missing. :p
    To demonstrate what antialiasing is useful for on those old cards; old games.
    NFS3 with 4X antialiasing/8Xanisotropy
    [​IMG]
    NFS3 with nothing:
    [​IMG]
    I use 4xAA and 8X anisotropic filtering on all games though, with 1280'960 resolution. That's smooth graphics.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2004
  9. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

About 15 frames per second, that's what! :hehe:

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

yeah but 2x aa and 2x af is enough for most games to look loads better, there are improvements with higher settings, but everything is playable with 2x on both using a decent system.

11. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

ATI has way better drivers than Nvidia, i have an Geforce FX 5200 Ultra and it sucks............ totally compared to my old 8500LE

12. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

ati has the best graphics cards available, plus the radeon 9800 pro isnt even close to as bulky/loud as the nvidia fx5900 or 5950. ATI all the way if you got the cash. I had the cash about 6 months ago and bought the 9800 pro when it first came out, best 450$ i have ever spent, (as a 17 year old with no job :worried: )

13. J3mZ

J3mZ What's a Dremel?

lol, the fx5200 is a step back in performance for nvidia. Might aswell be an mx5200 :D It really does perform worse than anything of a gf3ti or higher.

Avoid at all costs :hehe: