1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Chaos

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PaulW, 8 Feb 2004.

1. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

:clap: :clap: :dremel: :clap: :clap:

Your hcore must be shorter than mine. Mine would hardly fit under the drive cage yours has quite a bit of room.

nice work :)

2. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Just re-measured the rad, from the very top (where the pipes are cut off) to the bottom, its 7&3/4" and the width is 7.5" - I thought the matrix's were all same size on vauxhalls from '93-'99 :confused:

Aye am quite happy I'm on my way to my first ever modded PC now :D

Cheers :thumb:

3. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Actually... it is quite a tight fit :(

I've just been to the local hardware store (4 miles away) to get some elbows, just a test, and found some which were perfect fit, and others well... i got the size wrong :lol:

[​IMG]

The ones on the left were the best fit, but the problem is when I was seeing how the rad would fit inside the case, I forgot to include the 'lip' which runs along the bottom of the case, so when I just rememberd, AFTER buying these, there is all but 2mm of room between the top of the core & the drive bay, SO that means I've just wasted over £8 :( :duh:

But check out how nicely the elbows would of fit :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now I need to get some which are straight out, and come from the front of the core, so it means patching up the old tubing holes & drilling some new ones :wallbash:

Need it to come out something like...

[​IMG]

but it will be a straight piece, not bent like the elbow, its just to give you an idea!

Oh well, back to the DIY shop tomorrow! :(

Its all fun really!!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Isn't it just. :D

If it makes you feel any better (probably won't) I found that in the course of my project I have bought various bits and bobs which were the wrong size/shape/spec or just didn't fit with my next change of plan! I resist the urge to calculate how much money I've wasted this way... thing is, perfection costs. You want a righteous mod (which yours is on its way to being), you have to accept that some expenses and experimentation are involved. Moreover, details that seem insurmountable now, you will find solutions to. Trust me. I'm a modder.

There. Feel better now? :D

5. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Yeah I'm not really down or anything I'm quite used to it with my car, I'm also in the process of converting it from FWD to 4WD which is a pain, as that involves fitting things, making custom parts, removing things, adjusting, fitting, etc.... so the PC is nothing too bad! But your right, perfection costs! But at the end of the day, it will be worth it :thumb:

6. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Right got some new bits today

[​IMG]

I need to get the bolt off these, so a quick post over in the Hardcore Cooling section & a few mins later & a reply from Darv gave me a few tips on doing it, so after finding a vice & cutting away, I've now got...

[​IMG]

I burnt my finger a little aswell as the nuts heated up quite a bit :lol: Still, I've now got the right part (I hope!) so time to see how it will look once the hcore has been modded a bit!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I reckon that should do, just a case of sealing up the old pipes from the top, and then drilling & soldering the new fittings in place! I'll be doing that when I get some solder & practise a bit on some old copper pipes, but for now I think that will do, not the biggest update, but an update non-the-less!!

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

How big is that rad? ITs huge. And where did u get it?

8. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Looking good. Be careful when drilling the holes :hehe:

9. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

it's 7 3/4"(h) x 7.5"(w) x 2"(d), and is from a vauxhall corsa!

10. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

Aye I'm not looking forward to the drilling! But *hopefully* will manage to get it done without any problems! will be doing it in work on the drill-press so fingers crossed!!

11. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

Don't you just hate those plastic purple fan connectors? Im thinking of cutting mine out and replacing it with a double sided chrome plate to mount fans the normal way. I have the same case, I love the window but its just not big enough the grooves are awesome. The only problems with this case is the front cause it leaves you hardly any room for original mods. Anyways I'm watching this.

BTW you should get the radiator chromed it would look ice-cold. :brrr:

12. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

If they were clear instead of purple, they'd be good, but they will be going!! The window is ok for me, just the right side!

Oh and I;m toying with ideas for the rad, but only the sides, top & bottom will be visible (due to 2 shrouds), so won't be much to paint up! Only thing I don't really like about the case is that the top & bottom panels are rivited(sp) on, aswell as the motherboard tray, so makes things a bit harder to sort out! (will be trimming the MB tray hopefully next weekend to fit the fan (if I get the shrouds made up by then that is!))

13. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

Rivets arent too hard to work with just drill them out and bam. I'm probably gonna be chroming the inside of my case and adding a top window. The one thing that really gets me about this case is lack of places to hide your wires g/l on that one :thumb:

14. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

I'm quite good at cable-management :D

[​IMG] <<< Clicky! (Thats also the car the rad is from!)

Honestly ;) :hehe:

15. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I'm starting my mod today, I will have pics. I'm going to my aunts house using her digital camera and gonna take some shots and sandblast the interior and cut a new window and possibly work on the front. I simply cant do it at my house cause I have no tools not even a dremel. And my aunt/uncle have a wood/18 wheeler garage with *EVERY* tool imaginable. Plus my uncle is a licensed A/C guy so I'm going to talk to him about hooking me up with a custom phase change cooling system. good luck to you on yours mate. :lol:

16. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

You'll have to watch out for condensation on that rig! Should run quite cool though :brrr: good luck!!

Well the rest of my order arrived today :D not really much, but its all slowly coming in!!

2 120mm Titan Aluminum Fram Fans
    [​IMG]

2 80cm UV Fans
    [​IMG]

1 80cm 4 Color LED Fan (adjustable speed)
    [​IMG]

AeroPower II+ 550W Power Supply - Damn this thing is shiny! Don't know what it looks like running though, as no motherboard to test it on!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ZalMan ZM-MFC1 Fan Speed Controller - I'll be modding this a bit though, might replace the front with the old drive bay cover & color code it & also the 2 switches, will change them & use them to turn the case lights on or off
    [​IMG]

I thought I'd see what the UV & LED Fans looked like while there on, so dug out an old AT power supply & ave them a test, and I was impressed! The UV ones are nice & bright, I thought they would be quite dull, but there not, and the LED one isn't too overpowering either, so its a nice balance!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only problem is, the 2 UV fans will be replacing the rear case fans, and Antec in all there wisdom use crappy little clippy things to hold fans in place & dont have any real screw holes on the case to use, so I had to change this

[​IMG]

to this...

[​IMG]

Now I need to figure how to actually hold the fans, either a dab of glue, or a small screw to clamp them in, I'll figure it out though when I come to it!

So now I've put the Zalman in the case, aswell as the LED Fan & Power Supply just to see how they look, as was a little bored!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in quite a good buy I think :D

But I won't be getting any more till next pay day, which is half way through March :( so I'll be doing more work on the hcore this week & sort out some shrouds if I get time between work!

17. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

Where did you get those blue molex connectors?

18. TheOnlyAndromeda

TheOnlyAndromeda Duh, what's a dremel?

I love that power supply :jawdrop: me wants. :waah:

19. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

The molex connectors were on the PSU when i bought it ;)

http://www.aerocool.com.tw/aerocool-files-v3/power/psu.htm

Is a damn nice PSU! Can't wait to give it some hammer when the system is complete, shame it won't be for some time yet due to money :(

20. kwaidaN:Metatron

kwaidaN:Metatron psychonaut

Fire it up...

you can take a peice of wire with the ends exposed... stick one end in the green wire of the motherboard conector and the other end of the wire into any black wire in the mobo conector... this will make the psu think it is attached to a mobo and it will fire right up... good luck looking good so far.. :rock: