1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Graphical Screen Order People : Urgent : Important :

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Visualaid, 23 Feb 2004.

1. Visualaid

Visualaid What's a Dremel?

Hi guys.

I hope your all feeling good an well because i have some serious news about the screens we ordered.

Just a reminder this is to all the people who were involved in the group bulk order of the Crystalfontz graphical LCD screens.

I got home a couple of hours ago and everything was fine then my dad walked in with this. He didnt look to happy. So i inspected the sheet.

TRUST ME IT WASNT GOOD NEWS.

I've scanned a copy below.

[​IMG]

To some of you are probablly going wtf is that?. This is a bill adressed to me for god damn stupid tax regulations. Saying that i owe them £88.02. This did not please me at all. As it has come like 2 weeks after the screens arrived.

I am sorry to say that i cannot pay the £88 on my own :waah: , and hope that all you nice kind bit-tech people who ordered the screens will chip in and help me pay.

I am very sorry for putting you in this situation but i cannot help what has happened and am currently feeling abit :waah: :waah: :waah: like.

Post your thoughts below.

VisualAid-

2. Gooey

Gooey What's a Dremel?

am sure that if we all chip in a couple of quid you won't be far short.
    bit of a bitch tho coming now after a couple weeks

3. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

**** thats harsh
    first thing to do is to right formal conplaint

4. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear the news of the tax demands, If you can roughly work out how much we owe each (on a per screen basis), I'm quite sure everyone involved will be more than pleased to help you out - I know for sure I will.

Darkside.

/edit... it's the damned VAT man... best we sort this asap

5. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

Jeez m8, :jawdrop: thats a shocker for you, bet your dad nearly choked on his cornflakes.

Divi it up by screen & I'll cough up my share straight away, after all the hard work you've done for us it's the least I can do.

'Bout £2.60 a screen I recon.

6. Visualaid

or we can fight for it they gave me the Harmonized import code as 8531.20.0000.

If we can prove this code has 0% import export tax we dont have to pay.

Or prove the uk's taric system has a similar code that has no import tax / export.

I'd get searching if i were you guys. I've already been sat here searching through various 2,000 page documents!.

7. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

how much is that in cdn funds. because that doesn't seem like a lot to me heh.

8. Visualaid

what are cdn funds?.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, Fedex has a way of doing that... They argue that rather than waiting for you to pay import duty, they pay it on your behalf to speed up the packet handling process, and then invoice you later. I've had that happen a couple of times to me and suddenly makes deals from the US not seem so advantageous anymore. :grr:

Moreover, Fedex seems to be the only courier who do this. I've used UPS and that one didn't invoice me for import duty... but that may have depended on things ordered. Computer components have import duty, but other items may not (e.g. cameras do, but digital cameras for some reason don't. The laws are complex). Of course, if you get things posted to you by good ol' US mail (just as good in my opinion) you tend to bypass duty charges nicely. It takes longer, but sure is cheaper...

Another problem with Fedex is that they tend not to process payments (particularly Switch). As such I have had payments accepted by Fedex on three occasions, only to find their sollicitors contact me a month later for "outstanding payments". In the end I have had to resort to contacting their sollicitors myself when Fedex last billed me and handle payment through them directly! This, of course, is unacceptable and I have since made it a rule of thumb never to use Fedex, and never to buy from overseas companies who only use Fedex (some will give you a choice, at least, and I specify either post or UPS).

10. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Oh great. This could seriously dent my LCD order. I'll have a look about, see if I can help you out.

11. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

was chatting to visy on msn and it came £2.67 per screen

12. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

It prolly ain't worth fighting the VAT man about it, that can be a bit messy. Much easier to just stump up the dosh and be done with it. Still works out pretty cheap IMHO, as it will still be less than £22 per screen..... gotta be a bargain in anyone's book.

Darkside.

13. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

balls and arse. I am more that willing to chip in. I'll send it via paypal. if you are short let me know and Ill help out as much as poss

::EDIT:: Send me a mail and ill sort something out.

14. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

I`ll stump up my share no probs m8

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

slap up your addy and i'll send you the relivent funds

morgan.

sorry to hear that dude :( bit **** really

16. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

that happened to me when i ordered my MO screen about 18 months ago, ups tried the same thing. I phoned them, queried it, and never heard from them since. Needless to say I havent paid yet, and havent been reminded.

17. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

to convert anything relating to money go here, they convery anything to anything. Times said they were the seccond most useful site on the internet,

18. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

19. coorz

coorz Miffed

Import duties should be ZERO for LCD's. But you will have to pay VAT though.

20. Visualaid

the LCD order was around about $500-600 so how much is the 17.5% of that?