1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning to Drive

Discussion in 'General' started by -A-, 24 Feb 2004.

1. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

Hey guys i had a driving lesson today and i really hate it when the instructor shouts at me! Im trying to learn god damn idiot! :worried:

Also wouldnt it be class if everyone was born with the skill to drive so we didnt have to learn! :D

-A-

2. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

Yeah learning to drive is a pain in the rear, i've got a lesson in 50 minutes and im dreading it. I hate learning just want to be able to drive dammit! :wallbash:

3. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

My point exactly! lol Good luck with your lesson dude! :D :p :)

-A-

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Lesson's aren't so bad, it's the huge waiting lists for a practical test around here... (12-14 weeks!)

5. Vixen

Vixen What's a Dremel?

I loved learning to drive - kept calling up my grandad (retired instructor) and begging him to take me driving for an hour or so :)
    Waiting times for practical tests are stupid though. Up here it's around 6 weeks, but less for people on their second attempt for some reason.
    I booked my test before I'd even learned how to reverse park as I did my manouvers once I could drive pretty well, and it meant that I was just ready when I sat my test :) I don't think normal instructors would do that though since it's a bit of a risk.

6. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

I've booked my practical WAY before x-mas and it's next Tuesday.. if i pass i will be so happy.. i'm fed up of lessons. Been doing them since last September.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Get a new instructor, mine never shouted at me, just treated me like you would your mate... had a joke, chatted, but still taught me well.

Passing your test though gives you such a feeling of freedom...

8. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

Nah he doesnt shout that much tbh! Hes alright but he goes really far! He changes from one minute to the next! :worried: Im not paying loads either which is a good thing!

-A-

9. chartley

chartley What's a Dremel?

My old driving instructor (I can drive now) only shouted when it was justified... he dislikes it when a pupil tries to kill him. Apart from that he was a cool guy, local legend in fact.

10. Darv

Darv Bling!!

If your driving instructor is doing any shouting at all then I would get rid of him.

I had a really bad instructor and I leant nothing. Then I got a new one and he taught me everything I needed to know quickly and easily and was friendly

Ask your friends if they have a good instructor they could suggest.

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

++

i had my first lesson yesterday, teacher is nice and i did pretty well :D
    i get to make right hand turns next lesson
    :eeek: :hehe:

12. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

In Kansas we only have to take the written test if you get a note from your driver's-ed instructor so I didn't have to do that, but my instructor was a dick.

13. i_boz

i_boz What's a Dremel?

my instructors really nice, even stopped me from crashing into a lampost!! obviously cares about my well being....or just fears for her life......

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

A good instructor makes all the difference. I was with BSM for ages. What a shower of unprofessional money grabbing c***s they were. First test, they sent me a different instructor to my normal one in a different car. Without any warning.

Fair enough, my instructor had to go to a funeral or something, but he could have at least CALLED to let me know. Or BSM could have called, since they organised the replacement guy. But that would be far too much like running their business professionally, so obviously that didn't happen. Oh yeah, and the new instructor didn't even know where the test centre was so he got me lost. After about ten minutes of me driving round lost, and with about 2 minutes till the start of my test, he goes "okay, I'll drive." So we swap round and he hammers it to the test centre all the while taking directions from his HQ on his (handheld) mobile. When I say hammers it, I mean seriously. He mounted the kerb on one corner. So I arrived late and stressed. I was literally shaking from the experience when I got into the car to start the test, and needless to say I failed.

By the time my second test came round I had had no less than FOUR separate BSM instructors. First one moved away from the area after giving me two lessons. I mean, what kind of company gives a new client to a staff member whom they know is leaving in two weeks? Second one I came home almost in tears because he shouted so much. This was my third driving lesson and I was going along and he said "you're driving a bit too close to these parked cars for the speed you're doing" so I moved out a bit and he went absolutely schizo. There wasn't even any other traffic on the road. Anyway his "teaching technique" seemed to consist of shouting and berating me and telling me how I'd have "failed my test for that" every time I made even the slightest mistake. In the end I was like "look, this is my THIRD LESSON. I KNOW I WOULDN'T PASS A TEST NOW, THAT'S WHY I'M PAYING YOU TO TEACH ME." What a ***. Think he was pre-menstrual. So I told him to stick his bill up his *** and he was never invited to teach me again.

Next guy was the one that bailed out on me for my first test. Then there was the guy that arrived to take me for my first test. Then after I told my normal teacher what I thought of him for not at least doing me the courtesy of letting me know he wasn't going to show up for my test, he refused to teach me again. Good riddance, anyway, what an inconsiderate b*****d. Then there was the guy that took me for my second test, who was the only decent one of the lot of them. Second test I made one silly mistake and got a major error for it (only had two minors then failed about a hundred yards from the test centre on the return leg :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: )

Anyway, after the second test I was involved in some correspondence with BSM about what compensation they were prepared to offer me for the debacle that was my first test. Their offer was derisory - one free lesson. I talked them up to three, took my free lessons, then told them where to go, and got hold of my town's "local legend", who was a thoroughly decent bloke and a great, patient instructor, and I sailed through my test.

So we all know what BS stands for, what about the M? My advice, steer well clear - independent instructors all the way.

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Sorry, just realised what a rant that last post turned into! What I want to add is, to all those learning, keep at it. Passing your test is the best feeling, and being able to jump in the car and go is such a liberating, life changing skill.

16. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

We dont have to take lessons, so my mom is my driver. Sometimes its ok, but sometimes it is BAD! One day she doesnt care if i speed a tad, the next she yells at me for going 37 in a 35! Oh well, good luck to all of you with lessons!

17. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

its funny, i passed my drive test on the 24th and iv never felt more traped in my life.

i dont know the whole thought of, as soon as you dont pay attention you could kill someone scares the hell out of me

18. ocha

ocha Minimodder

That's exactly what scares the hell out of me Draxin. I have realised since strating my lessons that driving is just a big bunch of decisions that you could end up making wrong and so either hurting yourself or more importantly hurting someone else.

I don't think I could deal with myself if I did that to someone else which is probably the reason I am so reluctant to drive.

19. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Yayy, more L drivers :) I'm doin lessons at the min, im lookin to book my practical test, i passed the theory first time (just about) and i'm more than ready for my practical! The waiting list is soo annoying, i should be driving by now! I had a lesson yesterday, i finished it it without incident and ended up driving over the border into the south to get diesel in the car. Needless to say my instructor is great, he is as laid back as i am but still corrects me when i do something wrong, his mild abusive language and occasional swearing puts me at ease :lol: OH! on one of my lessons i was pulling out of a junction when i stalled... bad enough, i looked like a wock but to make matters worse, a woman drove into the back of me! The instructer got out and swore at her (while i was pooping myself in the car) but luckily no damage was done! Any one elce had an accident when learning to drive?

20. olv

olv he's so bright

I learnt the same way. Learn how to do all the driving first, then when it comes to doing manouvers they are a piece of piss. The thing i found most difficult when learning to drive was awareness and planning. Learn early to look ahead at the upcoming road and be thinking about where'd you'd pull in if you had to slow down etc.. The clutch control is not a problem when you get the feel for it. Just take it easy and don't stress about it.