1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSU and cable sleeving

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mm91187, 24 Feb 2004.

1. mm91187

mm91187 What's a Dremel?

2. Hallq16

Hallq16 What's a Dremel?

you could go to some electronics store and buy those cable-sleeves separately... anyway, i ordered this kit few days ago, will post opinion and picture with result when this arrives.... hopefully this month

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Get the kit from FrozenCPU instead of Xoxide... they have a much wider selection of sizes and colors.

FrozenCPU

4. mm91187

mm91187 What's a Dremel?

k cool, I think im gonna go with the Flex PET...cant think of the name of it. Its the other cable sleeving kit, not the Vantec its the other one.

5. Bmw M3

Bmw M3 What's a Dremel?

tech flex kits i think you mean

6. mm91187

mm91187 What's a Dremel?

exactly haha

7. i386

i386 What's a Dremel?

I just ordered what I needed by the foot from cableorganizer.com.

8. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

i am thinking about buying sleeving off of frozen cpu, but i dont know one thing. what are the cable braid sizes that would be perfect for a psu, case fans, and cold cathodes?

9. i386

i386 What's a Dremel?

Try this: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=23191

I converted it to the nearest inch equivalent. If I remember right, I did all my PSU wires with 1/4". Make sure you get plenty because it gets shorter as it expands. I barely had enough.

10. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

1/4" for PSU, 1/2" for ATX...

11. bistro

bistro What's a Dremel?

I tried the Vantec sleeving kit awhile back and IMHO it sucks wind. The sleeving was OK, but they do not provide enough of the right size heat shrink and too much of the large heatshrink. Not enough, that is, to properly sleeve a large psu. :eyebrow:

12. Wilier

Wilier What's a Dremel?

Or you could go the whole hog and do what Ive done ;)

[​IMG]

13. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

is there anyway you can do it without taking off the molex's? :/ just i have a 550w psu and it has a damn lot of daisy chanined molex's which will take forever and then you have to put all the wires back in right place etc.. cant you just cut the sleeving in half then buy some monster heatsink which can go over the top of the molex's then you could put the heatshrink in the middle of the wire and at both ends so the sleeving doesnt come undone? =P

14. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

If you cut the sleeving in half, it will fray and look like ass. Just pick up a molex remover and pop 'em off. All you really need to do is put a small piece of tape or whatever on one of the black wires in the molex to differentiate it from the one next to it, and you're golden.

15. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

you could put larger braiding on, i did that but it doesnt look as good, it is well worth taking the molex's off with a pin for the cables that show. I havent done the ones I cant see with the side on. :D

16. Pyronus

Pyronus What's a Dremel?

I am actually using the Vantec sleeving kit, to sleeve up my PSU, I have a 400W so I think I will have enough of the actual sleeving, I have my own heatshrink from another project so I surely wont run out of the good stuff.

My question is how the hell do you take off ATX powerconnector. The 1/2" sleeving wont fit over it, I wasted about 4" trying and after a while I just gave up. I assume I need a specialized pin remover, or is there someway I can do it myself without buying a tool?

17. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

try a pin or needle, but make sure you know exactly where each pin goes, ie label each one.

18. Pyronus

Pyronus What's a Dremel?

There are two tabs, cant fit two pins down in there to get the actual pins out. I already labeled everywire and made up a diagram so I could put it back to gether. So now just to get the thing apart so I can put that nice black sleeving on it.

19. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

bend the tabs in one side of the connector, then do the other, it will then fall out.

20. Bmw M3

Bmw M3 What's a Dremel?

there are atx tools in the US but mega bucks , fleetwood computers are making some and hope to be less , 12mm will fit over atx cable ok just expand the sleeving then push over then keep expanding small bits and give it 5 mins and the cable will be done, just take your time, 6mm is perfect for the molex power cables with only 4 cores i recomend cable tie then shrink over that. see a post i done here of a psu a week or so back, what do you think? http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=52035