1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project : Blackmesa HL²

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by piloux, 24 Feb 2004.

1. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

disabuse you, this paint is very, very easy to do, the most difficult was to find the good process to always have the same color on each piece, it depend on the time you let drying the first coat before putting the oxidant paint on it

2. n0ll4k

n0ll4k What's a Dremel?

man that paint job is incredible

/me is watching

/me suscribes

3. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

sorry, i would have replied sooner but i needed to mop up my drool....

That painjob is just beautiful... Well not really beautiful, seeing as it's supposed to look rusty, but it's damned impressive. What are you doing on the other side? A side panel that's all dented and bullet-holed?

4. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

5. QuickOrbit

QuickOrbit What's a Dremel?

I assume that since you already added the Half Life 2 logo, you are only going to use the "skeleton" of the case. It would look really cool if you covered parts of the case in plexiglass panels. For example, on the side panel with the HL2 logo, make a plexi replacement for the side panel but cut out the middle in the shape of the HL2 logo. I am sure you know exactly what you want to do and I know it is going to be absolutely awesome, just wanted to share an idea. :rock: :rock:

6. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if you would let us know exactly how you went about getting that paint effect? for instance, what times between drying and so on.. I have a friend who's looking to "rust" his case as well and this is a very very nice looking piece of work. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

7. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

I absolutely love the work you did on the HL2 logo, looks amazing!
    Can't wait to see you put the valve in.. Is it going on the side panel like in the wallpaper, or are you just gonna put it in somewhere else?

8. ben184

ben184 What's a Dremel?

oh man....

piloux, you amaze me.

Your first case was original, well built, and cool looking, and without skipping a beat, you move onto this amazing new case.

I don't want to sound like everyone else, but this is exactly the kind of case I was hoping to build for my own HL2 experience; rust, HL2 logo, red valve, and all. The only difference between you and me is that you are actually doing it! Rock on! This is officially my inspiration case; I promise, by summers' end, I will have a similar case.

BTW, how are you finding the time and money to pull off these mods one after another? Is this the last case for a while (to allow for a bank account refill)?

Also, since you will be lugging this case around to LAN parties, are you afraid of the layed paint rubbing or chipping off? Are you going to put plexi over it, or at least spray on some sealer?

9. Tank Girl

Tank Girl What's a Dremel?

Sweet!

:rock: :rock: Excellent! I love what you are doing here! The "anti-chrome" look is uber cool! What inspired you? I ask because I too am rapidly growing weary of "glow" and "Chrome", in fact, I painted my HD bays with the paint I used on my plant pot! It's stone-grey! Anyhow, I am waayyyyy into what you are doing with this project! :thumb: :rock: :rock: In fact...even though my husband thinks it "dumb" I'm thinking of painting the whole case with the grey stone paint!

10. mcbeckel

mcbeckel What's a Dremel?

piloux, your making another work of art. Can't wait to see the final product!! :thumb:

11. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

I think if you were planning to put a window in, then get some plexi, and fade the paint so it looks like the top of the window has started to rust and spread down.

Just my $0.02

-TX297

12. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

thank you QuickOrbit ;) this is just the idea I had, I m thinking about green uv reactiv plexiglass... but I dont know how the rust color will look with it...

13. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

ok no problem ;), it is indicate on the paint cans this :

put one coat of metal base solution and after one hour a second one, then wait for 12 hours before apply the oxydant solution in severals coats ( depend of the effect you want), I try this but the effect wasn't so nice to my mind... then I tried some other ways and the best I found to get this rust effect is :

I put one coat of metal base paint, after 1/4 hour, when the surface is dry I apply one coat with the oxidant paint, and when it is dry I put on it a second coat to give a nice orange/rust color. Hope it helps ;)

14. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

thank you :)

I would like to put the valve on the watercooling tank if it is possible but I actually have no idea how the tank will look like

15. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

Happy to see I m not the only one mad guy who like a rusty case like that :D
    good luck with yours , >I hope you will show us your work :)

for the time I spend on my project it depends... may be 1 or 2 hours a day,for example making the logo took me 2 hours...

My work let me some free time I use to it ;) , I m not a rich people :( , that s why I frequently use some recovery stuffs and like you said Im waiting my bank account refilling to get the system for that case;)

16. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

thank you Tank Girl, that's so cool to see women loving modding :D

My inspiration to make this case came while I was thinking about the half life game and its rusty environment, and I was so tired to wait for HL² I decided to build this case to be ok when this great game comes out:D

for your case paint job the only thing i can tell you is : don't listen your husband , put your nike shoes and just do it! :thumb:

than you for your idea , i ll think about it :dremel:

17. Le Tordu

Le Tordu What's a Dremel?

:eeek:

Ready to open your own rustiness shop ? ;)

This really seems.. reel ! Not painting !

18. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Not bad. I'll have to get used to the paint though! :thumb:

19. QuickOrbit

QuickOrbit What's a Dremel?

Just an idea for the tank: You could use a rust painted small tank, kinda like this but have the valve coming out of one side that sticks through the side of the case like in the wallpaper. you could use the same type of fittings and tubes on the ORAC3 but with rust painted fittings. You could also use some aluminum that is not rust covered for contrast. I can't wait to see more!

:thumb:

20. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

this case is gonna look so sweet when finished - it already looks great as it is.
    Shame i can't seem to find rust effect paints in the UK :waah: :waah:

Extra credit to Piloux for replying to every single reply from other members too!! :thumb: :thumb:

looking foward to the next update

.: Fillip :.