1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics a simple detonator

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mixx, 23 Feb 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mixx

Mixx What's a Dremel?

can anyone help me on how to make a remote detonator for anything from fireworks to thermite or anything of that sort. is there a simple way to detonate these things just by hooking up a 9v battery and flipping a switch??

does that work.. thanks

2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

without been rude.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING, IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT TO USE FUSE WIRE, DON'T GO NEAR THE DAMN STUFF YOU WILL LOSE AN EYEBROW

3. MechWarrior

MechWarrior What's a Dremel?

I think that qualifies as being rude :D

4. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Rude? Maybe. Good advice? Definatly.

To be honest, if you should be remotely detonating this stuff you should already know how (may not make complete sence but think about it)...

5. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

To be honest hes probably going to do it anyway so at least give him some advice on how to do it safely(ish)

6. coorz

coorz Miffed

This looks like fun.
    Our curiosity has been aroused, you MUST post some pics if you gonna blow up things.
    It isn't for some kind of PC security thing innit? 'Step away from my PC or...' :D

7. kt3946

kt3946 What's a Dremel?

You may want to check out your local hobby shop and look at model rocket launch systems and their remote units.

However, I do not advocate *anyone* playing with explosives, explosive materials, or explosive chemical combinations without THROUROUGH precautions and strict safety training. Quite frankly, if you don't have these, then don't go screwing around.

8. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

i really shouldn't encourage this, but from my youth I know that 1/4W CARBON resistors, 10ohm or less, ignite very reliably when subjected to about 15V or greater (they wont detonate but would light fusewire). You wouldn't get the 1.5A+ current needed from a 9V battery, but a big array of D-size cells will do!

really though, take care

9. veland

veland What's a Dremel?

Two 9v batteries should work fine for melting thin wire. Get rechargeable ones, as they A) can be recharged B) have lower internal resistance so more amps output. Strands from a floppy/hdd cable (the individual ones) should work fine.

And as other stated, keep your distance and work safely. Just a day or so a kid in Sweden played with homemade explosives. As the police said: "We were able to retrieve enough bodyparts to make an identification.." (the PARTS bit is the warning..)

10. mattg2k4

mattg2k4 What's a Dremel?

An easy and reliable way is to buy the igniter modules used for model rockets. You could make your own base station to connect to the igniter, or just buy a premade one.

To get a more reliable ignition from an overheated resistor (or similar method) you could add some flammable material, BP, chlorate BP, or whatever, and a light coat of wax to hold it on. A similar post on a different forum recomended using a diode with no current limiting.

Just be careful, and install a key switch and warning light in whatever module you use.

edit: reread your post, and you want to ignite thermite. That's really hard to ignite, the ignition temp is 2000C if I remember right. Magnesium is probably the most readily available thing to light it with.

11. Mixx

Mixx What's a Dremel?

nah im not gonna do anyting stupid i just wanted know how the firework people set off the fireworks without having to run around with a match. ive always wanted to know how they do it electronically. yeah if i blow something up ill post pics, i got a couple o thigns i could have sum fun with, ill take all safety precautions like long wires glasses etc

EDIT if i DO do anything it wont be with explosives, prolly just using thermite to ignite thte stuff but just an idea

yeah about igniting thermite that would be the prime thing i would want to ignite, i saw someone ignite it electronically somehow looked like they used just long wites and a box with a battery in it and a simple push button switch

Last edited: 23 Feb 2004
  12. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

00 steel wool + 9v + primary explosive = detonator

now no homemade bombs, kids, you just lighting off "firecrackers and m-80s" from a distance right?

edit: for thermite, try to find thin magnesium ribbon. (real magnesium not alloys) and use that. You could try Mg powder also.

And never ever mix homemade thermite with gunpowder or black powder, when it goes off it will send out flaming chunks that will burn through everything, including you, just stick with the regular thermite that you arent playing with because all you are doing is light firecrackers and m-80s from a distance.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2004
  13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Ive made one of these before, i used a model rocket detonator (or what ever the hell that thing is called) I wired the rocket detonator to a wireless tansmitter i got from SpyTech, and wired the reciever to a 9v batt on the rocket end of things.

Push button from 100ft away and your rocket takes off...I did this becase I made my own rockets and was experimenting with some differant propultion methods...good thing that I did, some of my designs blew up :rock: .

Actually I liked the exploding rockets more than the flying ones, but who wouldnt.

14. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

15. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

Look for nichrome wire. I went to the local junk shop, bought a spool, apply 12VDC, 120VAC, anything, POOF. It'll light a fuse. I use it to light my ...expirements... from a safe distance.

Like for example, filling a CO2 cartridge with gunpowder..

Also, when I went to the junk shop, the guy tried to sell me mercury switches so.....

16. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

How much did that cost?

17. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

Couple bucks... not much; I only got a 10 foot spool, it's hard to find.

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

:hehe: Fair advice, but I've a copy of Every Boy's Book, published in 1880. In the Explosives chapter, it describes how boys can make guncotton, gunpowder, nitro-glycerine, and fulminates, though it advises against making some of the latter, as "they are of such a lively nature that the concussion of the air caused by the closing of a distant door is quite sufficient to set them off".

The author obviously believed in not molly-coddling children and in Darwinism. :naughty:

19. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Nothing wrong with a bit of natural selection ;)

But we shouldn't be responsible for it!

On another note, those stupididly small whatage resistors, grind down the outside a bit, those make fine dets :) (v cheap too)

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

why haven't i thought of that before? :thumb:

a bit of a warning though: they smell BAD when burned...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.