1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD installed and operational!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bee2643, 26 Feb 2004.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

How did you do it then, using the composite?

'doc

2. Cannon^Fodder

Cannon^Fodder What's a Dremel?

s-video from my gf4 with an s-video to composite adapter, and straight into the composite in of the LCD display.

3. cgsimons_2000@yaho

cgsimons_2000@yaho What's a Dremel?

If its a composite psone LCD and it doesn't work. Could I then mod it to a VGA ?

4. Cannon^Fodder

i assume so, it has the same connectors to the PSone as any other Psone LCD screen, so i'm pretty sure you could, although because i've never gone down this route or looked into it much i'm not sure.
    some pics of mine when it arrived here - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=52104

5. cgsimons_2000@yaho

How will the LCD get power?

Can I connect it to the PSU? 5 or 12V?

6. Cannon^Fodder

read the post i linked ;p

7. cgsimons_2000@yaho

Ok, I see that you have to mod the cigaret lighter for cars. 7.5V.

Is it easy?

Do I need a solder?

8. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

ok my tutorial is going to be up in the next hour (by 8PST)
    stay tuned ;)

again, composite quality is teh gayz0r compared to wiring it VGA

*edit* looks like i don't have a life ;)

9. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

the tutorial is up
    please goto http://www.kickassamd.com/ to see it
    or click here

note: we are expecting some heavy hits in the next 48hours so please bear with us if the site is a little slow.
    thanks and sorry for the inconveniances

10. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Don't assume so. Most 3rd party companies that develop these screeens do not add support for RGB-IN whatsoever. Hence it will not work nearly as well, most likely not even at all (nearly as well meaning no C-sync, H-sync, etc).

Had mine wired using a mix between Serio's and Starfox's diagrams, havent had time to mount it in my new project yet.

pics

http://home.cfl.rr.com/phire/lcd/

11. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

have you read the problems im having at the bottom of my tutorial? have you experianced them/know whatsn wrong with mine lol?

12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

That looks so cool....

When I get my li lian and am going to have to do that...good moding

13. Cannon^Fodder

well to be honest i can't see that much of a difference in quality, font 8 is readable. And for the price and lack of hassle, i'm happy ;p

14. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

bee i see you ran into the problem of having to hotswap the monitors, i had this too when i did the vga mod but apparently its to do with the resistances on the rgb chanels not being high enough/being too high to be detected as a monitor, apparently you can solder resistors between the colour chanels and ground to get it detected ::Link:: here but i dont know if this will affect the signal.
    3D games and stuff look fine, i had a problem where anarchy online refused to load on my main screen and would only load on the psone screen and there was no noticable lag, its a really nice tft.
    Your tutorial says the screen pulls 3 amps, its actually much less than that as the 3amp psu is made to power both the screen and the playstation similtaneously and id imagine the playstation probably wants a good 2 amps
    Great tutorial tho definatly the most complete ive seen, really nice work on the case too.

ps. the video problem is to do with screen overlays, you need to turn off using overlays in mediaplayer, cant remember where but its definatly there, then try playing full screen using mediaplayer and it should be fine. :)

Last edited: 27 Feb 2004
  15. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I just exercised the platic and ordered one off ebuyer, £38 with postage as im splitting it with a friend on some ram i have ordered him too, I'm toying with the idea of making a Holder from bent Acrylic or attatch the panel to my wall, i also need a DVI to VGA connector, i have one somewhere but its easier to buy a new one.

'doc

16. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

that doesnt fix the proglom with the mouse though :(
    turning off the overlay
    ill have to find a psone and see what it requires for amperage and then ill make the changes

17. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

i vaguley remember havign that problem with the mouse and i cant remember how i sorted it im sure it was a setting in powerstrip but i cant remember what :/

18. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

NOOOOOOOO
    can you please try to remember :(
    i tried taking out interlaced but then it split the display into 4 screens and flickered pretty bad...im not sure if i could produce a clean imade, the best i got was an overlapped flickered image of 2 displays (deinterlaced mode) and i also read somewhere that deinterlaced wont work?
    there arent really any other display profile options that you can change

19. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

well im doing an install of the screen at the moment which il hopefully get the basics done over the weekend, when i get it in il reinstall powerstrip and mess about with it again, I definatly prefered the vga but i couldnt be assed hotswaping a monitor every time i start my pc so i moved to composite while i was using it. Its currently sat in a heap of parts on my desk tho so i cant test it right now

20. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

double post, ignore