1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project all-plexi keyboard --KONG is a god!! -- no really! he is!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by malcs, 30 Aug 2003.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Your project has inspired me to make my own clear custom keyboard. But mine will be devoid of keys :)

2. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

OK this project is going to be back on track soon!!! I have found someone who has a rapid prototyping machine and if i make the correct models for everything it willl be OK :)

only problem is.. the original keyboard got broken. so i need to buy a new base. Any suggestions? i was thinking one of those flexible waterproof ones that i could mod..

3. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

yeah those would probably be the best thing to use....

great to see this getting back on track...

may i suggest possibly a new thread for a new beginnig???
    i hate threads when they get like 29744987234973242769347y2gh2934792 pages long...

thats right... there is a y and a gh in there :D

4. Cannon^Fodder

Cannon^Fodder What's a Dremel?

I also have been inspired, and may go "off on one" and try to create some kind of illuminated keyboard :)

5. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

ok when we hit that arbitrary number i'll repost :p at the moment we are only on 15 pages, and i like to keep it all together

6. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

:worried: adds to page count :worried:

Seriously though, I'd like to see a clear illuminated custom made keyboard. :thumb:

7. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy What's a Dremel?

Man good luck, iv just read all this thread and i so want to see the finished product :thumb:

8. TroubledMind

TroubledMind What's a Dremel?

I am actually really interested in doing something like this also but hacking a keyboard apart and doing it out of wood. I would like to see your electronic diagrams but your host seems to not be agreeing with you.

9. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Probably because the thread is well over a year old...

Check the dates...

10. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

This is still one of the holy grails of modding.

Along with an iris on a PC.

11. TroubledMind

Sorry that was my bad I did a search and didn't even bother looking at the dates on it, so I guess this was a project that never got started/completed.

EDIT: was just really interested in doing something like this and the schematics would of helped out a lot.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2004
  12. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

lol I like that Zapwizard: "the holy grail of modding"... it seems like the holy grail of unfinished projects. I've seen a couple of people seem to be starting these projects then dissappear. Maybe if I were to be the first to find the holy grail, then I would actually be a real modder!

13. ZapWizard

What you have to do is reverse engineer an existing keyboard, figure how it's keyboard matrix is wired, the duplicate it.

Idealy a keyboard like this would use touch-switches, but they are not good for touch-typing or gaming, so it wouldn't be good as your main keyboard. Good old micro-switches are best.

14. TroubledMind

Sorry if I seem ignorant but I really am when it comes to electronics. I was talking it over with a friend and we were wondering if adding a second swtich to charge a capacitor to be used in connection with a switching transistor would work. The charge capactior puts keeps the circuit open for a limited amount of time based on the resistor used with it. I don't know if this would even work it's just and idea, and modding is all about experimenting. I know that this would require a seperate circuit for each key and would require a lot of transistors and capactiors but I was wondering if I could get a second switch to be pressed by using the same key would this work?

15. ZapWizard

I suggest you start a new thread for your question, as it is not related to the plexiglas keyboard topic.

16. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Would it be possible to use a PIC(microcontroller) that would read the key output from the keyboard, then use that PIC to PWM the corresponding LED for the fade effect? Do you think that would be too much for the PIC to handle?