1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The ATI PC (Old thread, mods please lock)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 25 Feb 2004.

1. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

Note to self:

1. Meet Zap
    2. Befriend Zap
    3. Rob Zap blind.
    4. Kill all humans.
    Lucky ******* :D Wish I had a job working for AMD.

2. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i wouldnt go that far just

1. meet zap
    2. become friends with zap
    3. pay him to do some awsome stuff on my rig
    4. become a millionare

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

[fan rant]
    Hey Zap, how is it exactly that you got yourself into this awesome project? This is something I am really looking forward to it's completion :) What mods are you going to be making that arent pre-mods? Not sure if this question has already been asked...

That is one sweet looking computer! Are you getting paid for all this? Keep up the good work!
    [/fan rant]

4. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

if you ask me, i dont see anything all to specail about it....

kinda boring if you ask me... but thats just me...
    :(

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I was the host of the mod contest at the Texas Gaming Festival, but even before that they contacted AMD and me to build this.

That has been answered already.

Lots of stuff, keep tuned. :dremel:

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Stop inflating his ego! lol :lol:

7. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

oooooo00000ooooooo have to watch this, looks like another zap masterpeice in the making. GL zap and mod on! :dremel:

8. pholus

pholus What's a Dremel?

Don't think you said anything about it, but are you planning more mods for the peripheral stuff (keyboard etc..)?

O ya, almost forgot - :clap:

9. PTK

PTK What's a Dremel?

:rock: :rock: :rock:

As a ATI Catalyst Betatester this is a thread im gonna watch closely. :thumb:

Im very interested to see if that 240W PSU can handle everything you are putting there, i had a fully watercooled Shuttle project going on, but then i decided to give that Shuttle to my bro and wait untill those new socket AMD 64's are available in XPC's.

Then ill do it for sure.

Btw, are you going to make some kind of cooling hole to the Radeon fan, those graphics cards that are so near to the case make quite a bit of noice.. or is this more bang + bling bling than quiet gaming ;).

Oh and using a NVidia card in that rendering.. :nono: ;).

PTK

Ps. There are ATI betas for 64bit with the beta os AND we betatesters have access to the _latest_ 64bit betas too. Too bad im still running a P4 so those are useless to me.

10. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

Zap, you know any chroming shops around the ATX area? I'm about to have to drive to Dallas for a chrome job on my Antec. And they want an arm and a leg already.

11. ZapWizard

Yes, the mouse is already a nice red color, so I will try to get the keyboard and headphones painted to match, but it depends on time, I have set my self up with an 8 week schedule for this project.
    Yes, there will be intake holes for the Radeon, but I am not sure yet if they are sending me the ATI Reference, or ASUS Model.
    --I knew someone would catch what card was really in the rendering, but I already had it modeled up from before.
    No, I don't just yet. A search comes up with this:
    http://wholesale.superpages.com/b2b/C-Plating+Industrial/S-TX/T-Austin/
    http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py...ICNB.1UoAdjMrQ5XosWSSg.8fOqApGRQn&qtx=plating
    In either case I called a few of those shops (Some offer choming)
    But aparently chome doesn't stick to alluminum very well, so if I want a mirror finish I will have to polish the case by hand.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2004
  12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

the forum moderator is wondering when we are going to see some build progress in this project log? ;)

13. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

I have a shuttle. 2500+ barton, an 80mm LED fan, one HDD (WD 80gb), CD drive, and a R9600 Pro (with a fan). Now the PSU can handle that. Have also added another HDD without a problem. Adding a cathode converter (two 6" cathodes) causes some problems. The PSU does get hot though, and its winter atm.
    I dont think Zap will have trouble with power, but if he could work in a quick overhal of the PSU to better the cooling, then it would reap benefits.

Great project Zap, what else could we expect! 8 weeks.... sounds, fun!
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

-cLoWn

14. ZapWizard

The parts are ordered some will be here monday and some tuesday.
    (Design is a part of a project...otherwise we could call this forum build logs?)

15. Snowshadow

Snowshadow What's a Dremel?

Well Zap if you want to replace that rendered card with an ATI card just take the one from the link below. I'm no pro and rendering software but, I work at a company that owns AutoCAD and 3DS Max software and came up with the following. You can find both models in the zip file.

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO

Radeon 9800 zip

16. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Subscribed. Will enjoy seeing this one play out.

17. Croc

Croc What's a Dremel?

Zap, I can't wait to see this one. I bet that ATI/AMD will be very pleased. I want to see how you are going to create the "fire" effect inside.

18. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

Question what type of paint would use to paint the keyboard to mirror the look of the MX510 mouse I was looking at a store model in Best Buy, and also the new box which looks cool, and it looks like a simple paint can job would be pretty hard to mirror that look.

I'd buy one, but red doesn't get my mojo flowing maybe something in blue or a platinum.

The 60MM Alu fans in my past experience are pretty annoying when it comes to noise there quiet to a point, but emit a slight buzzing noise because it's well a 60MM fan which unless there a vantec stealth puffing out 12CFM they're always going to be loud.

I'm not sure about space or clearance issues, but the Swiftech MCX159 would be a more ideal chipset cooler, but I do see you're adnozing the Tiger1 which might be hard with the swifty so disregard that.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2004
  19. ZapWizard

Thanks for the models, but they aren't compatible with trueSpace3

I hacked up a quick model using an image as reference, so it is fixed now.

The paint job is pretty complex on that mouse, so I think I will have to take to an airbrush or car paint shop and see what they think.

The Tiger1 is coming pre-anodized red, so it is just one less thing to worry about, I don't plan on leaving the fan on it though.

20. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

How will you be achieving this effect? Will you be using an array of several red, orange and yellow LEDs randomly flashing, maybe reflecting of the metal(hide the LEDs behind the graphics card so all you see is 'flames' reflecting off the metal work)?

Sorry if the above doesn't make any sense.