1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Max III Black Box V3.01

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maximilium, 26 Feb 2004.

1. Maximilium

Maximilium What's a Dremel?

Well, i am trying to make a log after i allready made the computer :idea:
    it took me 3 month on the planing phase, 4 month to build it, and a lot patience :geek:

2. stigmata

stigmata What's a Dremel?

Hi Maximilium, I used an italian waterblock on my pc, RS/300 PRO made by Lunasio (www.lunasio-cooling.com). GPU and chipset wbs were from Lunasio too. Now I'm switching back to air because I often change mw hw setup - upgrades or damages :(, and I don't have enought spare time to mount/unmount my watercooling set every time. So now it's on sell. :( :( :(
    The radiator was a Black Ice Extreme2, a huge dual fan rad.

Using the L connectors is a bad idea imho, because every L you use is like 3 more meters of tubing. Y connectors are good because you can optimize you pump usage. If you have a 1300 lt/h pump but a 300lt/h waterblock your pump will suffer trying to push a lot of water that can't pass in the rest of the circuit, but if you have an Y connector your flow will be higher in both "parts" (too bad I can't find the correct word :D). But you must not use another Y to join flows because if you do this you'll lose the advantages that i explained before. Look at this res:

http://stigmata.altervista.org/altro/vasca/

It has an Y connector for the water going out, and 2 separate fittings for water to return in the res. And it's very cool too ;)

Well, stop with watercooling theory... and talk about modding, I have a question for you.

In this pic

[​IMG]

i see that you've covered the internals with something black... what's that? I like it so much, and I've a lianli too... :D

Thanks a lot
    Bye!

3. Maximilium

4. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

looks like Akasa sound proofing bout a tenner to do the inside of your case :)

5. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Maximilium I just noticed the feet on your case. Before all my eyes got cought by were the internals, especially the tubing. But I want to know, what are those feet made from?!?

6. Maximilium

I-Stand Transparent Acrylic Blue LED Case Bases

Warning: case feet are fagile, I mount them using bolts and washers i got from my local hardware store.

7. Maximilium

Here Is one Interesting Picture

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Apr 2005
  8. JeffPH

JeffPH What's a Dremel?

nice project maximilium!!! great job awesome tube works.

one question which model did u get for the flow guage sensor? thanks

9. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

Awesome job ! Really good idea to put four 8cm(small ) radiator :rock:
    You said before it was pretty hot for a W/C system . Did you slove the problem? :grr: Maybe cause the water flow..

10. Maximilium

It wasnt the water flow(the pump i use is used on diesel engine, on a boat), for a while i thougth it was flow restriction at CPU Block, but aparently that wasnt either, reading at the Abit forums i found out that a 38c idle temperature is about average using water cooling. Aparently abit p4 motherboards are not reporting the actual temperature of the cpu.

Official update for the P4 motherboards temp issue
    IC7 MAX3 Temerature survey

11. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

:hip: So you didn't solve the problem?? Anyway , the MB isn't telling the ture tem. of the CPU... :yawn:
    stigmata said that L-tubings really kills the water flow ? That's ture. I rather make curves if it could . :baby:

I am planning my new O/C system , I am choosing either 3/8" or 1/2" OD
    tubing system . Tell me what do you think? thx ! oh ! I am going to put a high flow pump on it ...

Max : What is the fitting of your Magnetic Driven Centrifugal Circulation Pump, CM10P7-1 ? Did you get a adapter?

Anyone knows what is NPT and BSPT ?? They are the standard of the fittings???... What is the differents between 1/8 ,1/4 ,3/8 NPT ? :geek: Plz tell me what is it ..thx !

Last edited: 29 Feb 2004
  12. Maximilium

NPT=National Pipe Thread
    ID= inside diameter
    OD= Outside Diameter

My CPU Temperature registered by my motherboard is not the true temperature, there is the real problem.On the next upgrade I be eliminating L-shape fittings for sure, i just need to find a good replacement for those fittings (Any ideas are wellcome)

The fittings I am using on my pump are 3/8 NPT (National Pipe Thread), i had to Mod the pump using an 3/8 NPT Tab (you need to be carefull , plastic can break)
    [​IMG]

The tubing more used out there by the pros are (1/2OD - 3/8ID) and (5/8 OD - 1/2 ID)

I am actually using both on my mod, everything 1/2ID before the pump, and everything 3/8ID after the pump. some people like to build 1/2ID systems, others like 1/8ID, thats your choice, but, you will find more fittings aviable for 3/8ID tubing.

13. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

How do you measure the thread (NPT or ...) of your part ? Is it the ID of the
    hole?? thx

14. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

NPT - National Pipe Taper (As Maximilium said)
    NPTF - Compatible with NPT, but can be used without Teflon tape between fittings
    BSPT - British Standard Pipe Taper
    If you are working in metric, look for "metric" or "ISO" fittings.

About the L-shaped fittings in the system: It is true that forcing water around a corner causes losses, creating a slight pressure drop. However, I think the possible pressure drop is negligible when compared to the pressure drop across, for example, a cpu waterblock. I still think that 35C is a remarkable acheivement for a P4C on an ABIT motherboard. Most people with a P4C and ABIT board idle in the low-mid 40's...

15. diehrd

diehrd What's a Dremel?

Question why are you not supplying the pump from the resivor ? Using a nice 5/8 supply line from there would increase flow would it not ?

16. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

Do you mean 5/8ID ?

In his project , If he change to 5/8 . He needs new tubing and a new fitting
    for his reservior . But , the main point is it may / may not increase the flow .

Guys , Thanks for the answers . For example , Is a 1/2 NPT X 3/8 has a
    thread diameter of 1/2" ? :confused: thanks all !

I want to post pics of the W/C system that I am using. But I noticed that
    the rules at the bottom left side says " I may not post attachments . I tired
    different host that I have. But It's still doesn't work !

Last edited: 3 Mar 2004
  17. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

But if you use Y-fittings to seperate water blocks . The water will flow faster
    on the part(block/s) with less resistance . But it will flow slower on the part which have more resistance.
    That's not a good way to solve the problem . You better change to a to a better (high flow) water block . $$$ ;)

18. Maximilium

Everything "before" the pump is 5/8 od (1/2 id). But, the reason I have it this way is cuz I am also using gravity feed, there is more volume of water "before" the pump compared to the "after" the pump.

19. diehrd

diehrd What's a Dremel?

I am no expert but after looking at your diagram I have some suggestions that will lower your temps.I see 6 Right angles in your drawing.>Change these from 90 degrees to 45 degrees and the flow will increase massivly.It is flow that is important not preassure and the right angel fittings reduce flow in a huge way ....Any time you redirect the FLOW you create a slow down and the right angle turn has the most effect on flow then paople even consider before using them..

20. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

I agree in some points of diehrd 's suggestion . Is there any 45 degrees fittings? I never seen any for PCs. You can find some or make some :naughty:

Sry for so many replys and answers ( above ) of me :p Answer is important to me !