1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The ATI PC (Old thread, mods please lock)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 25 Feb 2004.

1. 554

554 What's a Dremel?

Packing case, foam cut to shape? Surely it will have some build quality / integrity?

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

There will be a custom foam case for this later, so that it can all ship as one piece.

Nice project Crimson.
    The Shuttle and Radeon has yet to arrive, and I don't have internet at my new place, so no images yet.
    Tempered glass would be a great option if it wasn't for the extra weight, and the various holes and etchings that will be added.

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I think the saw blade would look a bit better if you made both sides of the teeth the same length and angle, making it look more like a many pointed star than a saw blade.

4. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

this thing looks awsome, I hope you get your internet up soon, I can't wait the till the pics!!!!

5. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Hmm, i've been thinking about the flame effect, and i wonder:
    I dont know the capabilities of a vera laser, but would it be possible to create a extremely massive quantity of extremly small closly spaced holes in a piece of acrylic? This would create (i think) a frosting effect that penetrates the entire piece of acrylic.

This would, i imagine, enable you to create much better flame effect than simply shining LEDs on the interior of the case would. Plus, it would be easier to animate, and the effect of the LED would disapate more rapidly, creating more conical flames.

Also, if you wanted to use the window as a window :))) you could simply have the frosting effect fade out the higher up the window one went (gradient, frosted to clear).

My .03 cents ;)

6. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

I'm sure Zap has free reign on the design, but if you visit the ATI Get in the GAME site it looks like a circular saw blade, not really a cowboy spur or a pointed star see for yourself.

7. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

I agree!!!!! it does look like a sawblade, so everyone...lets drop it...ZAP will not change his design, no matter what we say....just let him mod, and we can all OOOHH and AAHHH a little sooner!!! Anyway, Zap,do you have internet up and running yet? and how many projects are you currently working on? lol

8. ZapWizard

Actualy the versalaser can do some great pin-pricks into plexi, I did this to make light seperate on a LED lit-flag without actualy cutting the plexi.
    It works pretty good, but the case windows will be on the outside of the case.
    (Rather then attached to the inside)
    So any LED light hitting them will be at an angle.
    I have lots of experimentation to work out.

Yes, I finaly got internet, but I am still getting my workroom together after moving. I will post images of each component soon. (Still waiting on the Shuttle and 9800XT though)

9. Krostillian

Krostillian What's a Dremel?

When is this project due to ship to the client? Awesome idea but, I'd rather see the completed project and read through the logs at that point ... keeps me from being disappointed.

Thanks

10. ZapWizard

I hope 2 months, from the time I receive the shuttle and radeon.

Mods can move this to modding please, due to delays in progress.

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Didn't know that, now I understand why he has a saw blade. Thanks for the info!

Perhaps make the saw blade spin slowly? Would probably be difficult but would look cool.

Cereal, my philosophy is that project logs are a place to show off your modding and get suggestions and ideas from other people, not a place where people post their modding and everyone just says "Wow ____ you are the man, I love your project! Subscribed!". I think in the beginning of a project everyone should throw around all their crazy ideas, then as it is in progress offer suggestions about fabrication or small things.

Ok, I'll shut up with my philosophy.

12. modderman

modderman What's a Dremel?

You should do actual flames on the side windows rather than just the flame color lighting-effect. That'd be cool. aRe they paying you a loT? - if not, why are you doing this? free parts? Hopefully you will be using a dud 64 bit processor for that window thing, but I guess, if AMD is paying for all of this, they can afford to use a working one. How do you go about mounting the gfx card like that in the window? (correct me if that's how shuttle mobo's mount the card naturally).

13. modderman

modderman What's a Dremel?

oh, and in a non-offensive manner, I would like to say that I don't like the design - especially all the amd/ati adverts. Sure, it might be necessary, but they're really cheesy with all the colors. AMD green, ATI red - plus all the other colors that they use in those things you're putting in the three windows. A case should be a work of art, not an advertisement. AND, if it must be an advertisement, it should advertise only by being such an incredible work of art that people want to know more about the insides and who owns it. Besides, it'll probably be under a huge banner telling all about the rig.

btw - i would not have said this to anybody else, but from all of your "fans" around here, i thought you might need a good ego-deflating. especially since you have not even finished quite of the projects that you have started that I read about.

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I must disagree with you on this point, Zap is not arrogant, but everyone treats him like a god. He never says "I am such a great modder" but everyone else says "Zap is such a great modder".

15. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

yeah, take it from "mr. modderman" he sure has been around the block a few times since he subscribed a whole week ago... pssh, shut up dude :nono: youre just jealous of his skillz... :hehe:

16. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky What's a Dremel?

I tend to agree with Modderman in the respect that true branding of a product is much less about logos, decals, and literal translations, and more about the impact the advertising has on the audience, and on how sticky it is in the memory of the viewer. It just seems to me that this case mod would disapear in a sea of other logo-inspired cases at an event. It's just needs to make a statement thats less understated and more bold....more creative and more inspired. I say take it back to the drawing board, in the nicest of ways :D

Last edited: 9 Mar 2004
  17. ZapWizard

The plan is to have a semi-random flaming effect behind the blade, that both looks like it is flaming, and spinning.
    (Think spinning fireworks)

Painted flames have been done too many times, a flame lighting effect on the inside parts, and graphics card will look better.
    The money aspects are my business.
    The CPU in the top window will be a dud, as expressed earlier.
    The AGP slot on a shuttle is nearest to the case side, so it will put the graphics card right up against the window.
    (One of the reasons why this project is using a shuttle in the first place)

Well for once a project is supposed to be an advertizement, so this isn't just a fan-mod. The logos will not be simple vinyl stickers, but higher quality plates made at a sign shop.
    This case will end up in a variety of uses, it may be used by someone on the BYOC floor (Via raffle) it may be in an ATI booth, or AMD Booth, depending on the event, so it has to stand on it's own without any signs around it, so any ads must be on the case.

As above, the logos (No decals) are to keep the branding of the various vendors involved.
    Again the dynamic lighting effects will set it apart from the rest of the "Stick-a-cathode in a window" logo cases.
    As far as creativity, at it is not based on yet another movie ;)

-------------
    On-topic:

The case designs are final.
    I am still waiting on the two main parts, but I have the security circuit designed an the parts on the way.
    More parts for lighting control are also on the way.

18. mashie

mashie The one and only

With a clever design no banners/logos are needed.

I have never bought a single ATI card, still I only use 9800XTs at home so my approach must be working, kind of ;)

Zap, maybe you should make a Nascar PC that looks like it is sponsored by ATI and AMD :D

19. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky What's a Dremel?

Fact is, the mod does not look unique. Whether its based on a movie theme or a wooden handrail makes no difference. If your inspiration was a lunchbox with stickers, then I stand corrected and you have succeeded in your design.

20. mashie

mashie The one and only

The most advanced Lunchbox PC ever?

Sorry, couldn't resist.