1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Any Mechanics Here?

Discussion in 'General' started by craigey1, 8 Mar 2004.

1. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Hi all,

I recently got myself a 2.0 diesel Turbo Vauxhall vectra. When driving it round, I noticed that between 2500 - 3500 RPMS that the car lacks any power and doesn't accelerate. After about 3 seconds it picks up speed and will then loose power again. It's happening in all gears except 1st, and only does it in 2nd when the engine is cold, but it always happens in the other gears.
    I noticed that the turbo pipe was split & thinking that was the source of the problem I got it replaced, but it's still playing up. I've tried cleaning the injectors and a friend has suggested that I replace the Diesel filter. I don't know if that will work, so I thought I'd throw the problem out to you peeps and see what you can suggest.
    When i get paid I will probably end up taking it to a garage to get a diagnostic done, but I don't think anything will show up as the engine revs up just fine.

Bloomin' cars! :confused:

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

From what you described it still sounds like a turbo problem, remember that the turbo is only really working while the car is in gear.

Can't really say much else though - I suggest you have someone look at it...

3. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

that's what a friend thought it could be, it just seems strange that there is a complete lack of power (almost like the engine is off). I thought that if the turbo was dying or had died it would at least have some acceleration. i've got a feeling that's it's going to be expesive though!

4. BradfordPimp

BradfordPimp What's a Dremel?

it might be as simple as a leaky pipe somewhere but it defo sounds like a turbo problem, have you tried revving the engine with the bonnet up to see if you can hear the turbo spin up?

I've driven a Land Rover TDi with the turbo not working and it had VERY little power, so dont underestimate how useless your engine could be without its turbo working.

5. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

I've had the bonnet up and the engine revs no problems at all. i can hear the turbo whirring, I can even hear it when driving, (if the musics not too loud)! the other thing is that when the car stops acceleratng it has no power what-so-ever, until it picks up agaiin a few seconds later.

i've found a couple of things I may try here

6. Go4t

Go4t i

darn you european's and your stock-turbo'd cars

7. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

it is a standard reaction in a turbo diesel,
    our seat 1,9 tdi has the same thing, it is not a defect buth rather a restriction in the system, a turbo only gets to work well if the engine produces enough exhaust gas(don't know the correct english term not all our coursebooks are in english)

at least this is what i picked up in class

darn you americans and your cheap fuel prices

8. philth

philth What's a Dremel?

We only have stock turbo'd cars so that we can get decent performance from a car with a ~2l engine. You don't really need a turbo on a 4litre car.

philth

9. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

There is a slice in one of the hoses off the turbo. Here's what is happening...
    The turbo is sucking in air and focring it into the intake manifold. This is an increase in pressure that is blowing open the slice in one of the silicon/rubber couplings. The reason for the surging is that it only blows open under a certain amount of psi, so the turbo spools up a little, gets to that pressure then loses all of it out the hole until its below the pressure and starts again.

Boost leak test

Try something like that or search for "boost leak test"

10. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

I NEED A F-250 WITH Turbo diesel i have seen what those trucks are capible of on a show called trucks here in the usa man enough power to send you to the tire shop daily

11. Redimp

Redimp What's a Dremel?

I know that lots of Vauxhall's have problems with the Air Flow Meter, they cost a couple of hundred quid from Vauxhall, but your best off going to a garage with decent diagnostic equipment to confirm that.

If you've got a haynes manual and your feeling brave you could try cleaning it - see here but they are very fragile and never touch the metal contacts on/in one.

12. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

I've replaced the diesel filter, and over the weekend I'm going to do an oil change and replace the Oil filter. The air filter still looks like new. While I'm doing the oil change I'll try cleaning the Airflow meter.

I've also been told it could be the lamba sensor, or crankshaft sensor or possibly the coil.

|V| 4 L k i 3 R thanks for the info, but i did say that I had fixed the turbo pipe.

13. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

sorry to double-post guys, but I've been doing a lot of research on the link that Redimp posted, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Air flow meter / contacts (will clean it tonight), the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve, the Boost pressure switch or even the vacuum activated solenoid (for the turbo). All in that order!

Here's hoping the cleaning the AFM will work. thanks guys for all your suggestions. :thumb:

14. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Don't bugger it up, speaking from experience here...on the Micra the only way to replace the AFM is to replace the whole throttle body, which is easily a £300+ repair even if you do it yourself...

Don't know about your car.

15. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Luckily a new replacement would be about £130, but after I cleaned the orginal one, there was no difference in performance. So I'm going to start my investigations on the exhaust gas recirculation valve.

Tags: