1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Disabling F-Lock

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TekMonkey, 15 Jan 2004.

1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I've got a Logitech Elite USB Keyboard and it comes with a button called F-Lock, which switches the Function buttons between their normal functions and new shortcuts (new doc, send email, reply, etc). The default is F-Lock off (new doc, send email, etc mode). This is extremely annoying! There is a registry hack that works with the Microsoft keyboards with F-lock, but not the Logitech. Can anyone think of a way to fix this in the electronics of the keyboard, so the F keys have their normal functions and maybe even diable the F-lock key?

2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I hate this problem too, so it would be great if anyone can shed some magic problem solving light on the matter.

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

i hate the whole concept of the F-Lock key, but on mine (cordless desktop MX something or other) i don't have it on when my system boots up?

It wouldn't be too hard to disable it thou, you could edit the keyboard descriptor (see DDK docuementation) or just inject urself into the logictech tray program, and tweak it slightly (there will be a notification call back that you will have to hook, but its probably exportet, i am on my laptop so can't just fire up depends and see)

4. TekMonkey

And whats the keyboard descriptor?

5. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

Do you know where to find the microsoft hack which disables it?

Thanks

6. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

your f-lock is on until you turn it off? mine doesnt do that but thats how it has always been...the number lock doesnt come on when i start the computer and that bothers me a lot...forget how to fix that one though

7. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

No mine is off untill i turn it on - i never use any of the shortcuts that are on there.

8. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

I've got a generic keyboard with that problem :( I've got an idea... Next time I'm using that system I'll try something... ;)

edit: It didn't work :( I was hoping that holding the button down while starting the system would keep it off, but it still turns on! :miffed:

Last edited: 9 Mar 2004
  9. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

i dont think anyone does...its a good idea but no one has used it before and undo is just ctrl+z and save is ctrl+s...from using those keys for years its too hard for me to change to using other keys that are out of my way

10. LukR

LukR What's a Dremel?

Same problem with a MS keyb. But i think its sending different signals to the pc when its turned on, at least there is no way to set it from driver. So probably a small circuit would do the job: after powering up, the circuit would "push" that button once, and then just leave it there.
    Will try to do it if i have some time.

11. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

That's a very complicated way of doing it download the ddk!

Changing the keyboard descriptor is easy

12. Madboy

Madboy What's a Dremel?

13. quack

quack Minimodder

Hmm. I don't have this problem on my Logitech board at work which is connected directly into my laptop, but I do at home which is connected through a KVM. I also find the F-Lock thing annoying, especially when you're in the middle of a game and hit one of the F keys and it flings you back into Windows to open My Documents or some nonsense.

14. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

jinkies, someone finaly shows what i mean, changing the keyboard descriptor is so much simpler!

See how easy it is to change the registry?

SEE THE BLASTED DDK.

ITS THAT SIMPLE FOLKS.

y is it only software related threads people ignore me in :(.

I think i will drown a kitten next time just to make you lot feal bad.

15. TekMonkey

No clue what the keyboard descriptor was. Didn't know you meant something in the registry. I tried the MS hack, doesn't work for Logitech keyboards. Also, it would be useful if there was a physical hack you could do to the keyboard, so you don't have to wait for windows to load, and it would be on all the time, even in bootup and bios

16. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

download the damned ddk.

Find the scan code.

Editor the descriptor.

U can do the same for a unix based os too.

When i made a keylogger (using a PIC12F629) it was very time consuming making a device that went inbetween the host + keyboard. I can't emphasise enough how simple the descriptor option is.

!google scancode map

17. dinky

dinky What's a Dremel?

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My MX Wireless desktop always has F Lock on... I wonder if they changed it after complaints.

19. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

In runs Pookeyhead with the defibulator, CLEAR

Nurse we are loosing this thread, 1 line of spam!

20. veland

veland What's a Dremel?

Well, on my Logitech keyboard, the F-lock stays at what it's set at. So if I unplug it, it goes to function mode. But as long as it's plugged in, it stays in F-button mode. So as long as your USB plug supplies power, I think it should remember the setting.

And moving a jumper to get +5Vstb to usb is even simpler then the other solutions.. IF your mb supports it..