1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Fridge, PC, idea, oh dear...?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 9 Mar 2004.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Ok just a though no idea if it would work.
    We have 101 old fridges lying around.
    Now if i was to remove the radiator unit from the back of a fridge and connect it somehow to my case - say to the back of the mother board tray.

1- is this even possible?
    2- would it make much of a difference?

2. Jang

Jang What's a Dremel?

I read a little while ago on here about sometihng like this..

Apparently it wont work.. can't remember why someone will shed light though. I do remember something about condensation though :idea:

Over and out,

Jang

3. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

just the radiator might work , but then youll need liquid cooling...

a pump, cooler block for processor and routing( hoses/pipes) for your system

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

but surely taken from a working fridge system it already has everything needed.

as far as i know attached to a fridge it has a built in pump of sorts and used the useual convection currenty to cool liquid at the back pump it into the casse round and cool it again....

Fridges dont really do alot of condensation...i could see that as a problem if i was tlking about a freezer radiator here.

But im tlkin abotu ripping the parts off/out of a working fridge and basically adding them to my case sort of making my whole case a fridge?

5. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I would be astringent about the actual coolent, antifreeze I think, because that stuff can evaporate very fast.

6. AkujinNoNinjin

AkujinNoNinjin What's a Dremel?

I was looking into doing something similar using a waterchillers cooling unit; which is basically a small fridge. Afaik as soon as the temperature drops below room temperature condensation forms - I've notice it in my fridge. The same condensation is what makes all that loose ice in your freezer... so condensation is a problem...

Also fridges work using phase change cooling afaik - they rely on a change in the pressure of the gas in them which makes the gas liquify (or is it the liquid goes to gas. .. cant remember) ... but when it goes one way it absorbs heat (ie everything around it gets cold) and the other way it gets warm ... so the radiator isnt really usefull in a standard watercooling system as watercooling relies on surface area to transfer heat to the air, wheras a fridge radiator will heat up no matter what from the pressure change ...

Oh and fridge pumps aren't designed to be run continuously - they run in bursts to drop the temperature, and then only reactivate when the temperature rises past a certain threshold. Since on a computer it would never drop below the threshold the pump would run continously, burn out, and you lose all cooling ... which is A Bad Thing.

So yeah ... sorry but afaik its a nice idea in theory, but not really practical... if you have an old computer you could try it anyway - some of the best mods have come from people doing what 'couldn't be done'.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

not to be put down, onto idea number 2.

from a really good water kooling system my parents have thats very small but literally chils the water, took it apart and found what apears to be a giant pleiter...*looks at giant pleiter...looks at spare psu....looks at comp*....hmmm how about putting it on the side of my case to chill the whol damn system??

and yes i know pleiters get very very very hot the other side....heance i will steal the giant backing heatsinks from an old freezer as a giant heatsink for a giant pleiter, as well as mod a couple of 120mm fans onto it.

No i dont expect it to fit in my case....b8ut once again to the back side of the mother board try (inside right case panel normally)

Now pleiters r pretty straight forward...electomatnetic colling...onc eside very very cold the othe side very very hot....dont c a problen with this idea?

8. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

using the fridge case isnt very efficient as you have lots of boundarys the heat has to transfer across ie cpu->HeatsinK->Air->cooling element( :worried: )->refrigarant->condeser->Air!! thats one big list budy and to add to that youve got condensation probs if you go below dew point, however all is not lost and you should salvage the compresor from the most powerfull fridge remove evaparator make or bye a new one and youve got yourself a low performance passively cooled vapochill or promie. You could also change the refrigerant add a new condensor and some fans and it might not be all that low performance! check out This site for more info you want the phase change forum.
    Ps good luck and can i you post the specks on the compressors in all those fridges with pics if pos cheers as i am looking for something more beefy to cool my Radeon thanks.

Raptor Out.

9. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

condensation would be what i would ph34r most...dripping water in a computer case is not good...but i think its been done before...so its not impossible i would say go for it if you are willing to put in the time and effort it could be awesome if it works