1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics lcd group buy

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nothingtrend, 28 Jan 2004.

1. nothingtrend

nothingtrend What's a Dremel?

ok here is a pic of the lcd, I took a bunch and this was the only one that came out decent, I will try to get some more tomorrow.

It is a Philips branded pcb, and it has a KS0062F00 controller, it runs under CrystalControl(currently using it) and jaLCDs. As soon as I find others I will test it.

once again, since I couldn't get 30 orders, he is selling them to me for $4 a piece instead of $3 which is still a deal since they were $6 a piece for the first 3 I got. If you want one email me here lcd@nothingtrend.com

[​IMG]

2. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

what... is 23 not close enough to 30 :waah: o well, 4 is still a good deal

3. nothingtrend

I didnt have 23 orders emailed to me, I dont have the time to email everyone that posted here to verify their orders.

If you want to make an order email me at lcd@nothingtrend.com

4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Perhaps you could make a thread in FS/FT offering these? I'd think you'd get at least 7 more people to buy them.

5. computer

computer What's a Dremel?

unfortunately your going to have to forget my initial interest of 5, I had to buy some slightly different ones which I got the other day. sorry :(

6. nothingtrend

no problem computer

7. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

**** i didnt email you, havent been able to sit down and read posts lately, is it too late to order one. oh well i guess i could email you :duh:

JEEVES

8. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

Dunno if you have your LCDs yet but i was wondering if you have had any luck adding a backlight to these particular LCDs

9. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

i get mine today (at least that is what the tracking tells me) and i will let you know how the backlighting goes. I might use these el strips that i have from two other lcds that didnt work out. but we shall see, i will prob just use leds.

JEEVES

10. Megadoomer

When using LEDs what kind do you suggest? also i dont know where to put them--in front of the window or behind...let us know how it goes

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I recieved minne last Monday and they seem to be pretty visible without a backlight.

12. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

man you got yours quick, I just opened mine and am about to wire them up. :clap:

i would put them on the left and right side (i will post a pic in the next few days of how i did my digidoc blue leds)

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I do live in New Jersey, which is only 1 state away from nothingtrend.

I would try and find some of the flat LEDs and stick them udner it if you want backlighting, I might put it on so i can see it at night.

14. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

oh I missed out :(

15. Megadoomer

Backlighting LCD

Ok...so on one of the LCDs i just took off the front plate...after further investigation i noticed that the 'screen' is glass or something...i pointed a flash light thru one end and light came out the other...so i'm thinking that if i stick a small LED on both ends that it will be backlit...if i'm totaly wrong someone correct me please

Last edited: 12 Mar 2004
  16. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

i just did that and it doesnt work to well. if you put a piece of foil behind the screen then it should work better. There is just nothing for the light to reflect off of so the light just goes right through. you do get a little bit of a back light but not enough to do the job.

17. Megadoomer

now...tinfoil on electronics? how do i do that safely so i dont short out anything on the LCD?

18. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Ok sorry for this being so late but I have been extremely busy this past week. Here is how i backlit my LCD. I had rembered that I had bought two ****ty $5 4bit LCDs from bg micro, the only thing that made them worth it is that they were el backlit :D . So what i did was; rip the el strip out of ****y lcd and then take apart new one and put the el strip under screen and hook up to el wire converter already in my case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the ****y night shots but i dont have a tripod and these are the best two out of around 20 pics taken, you can see the lcd is on in the second pic. The backlight works prety well (not as good as my blue backlit digi doc) but good enough to be able to read it at night.

Now I know that not everyone has a el strip laying around so i will try to explain how to use leds instead. The easiest way i can think of is to take a piece of plexi cut to fit under screen. Frost the plexi as best you can (the better it is the more light it will reflect). Put an led on each side of the screen (try to sand down the top of the leds so that they wont be so directional). with these lcds it is realy easy to fit the led in there tight, jst bend the metal frame up on the left and right side of the frame and a 5mm led will fit in there nicely. If you do not use the frosted plexi under the screen then you will not be able to see it on the screen (except for a small amount on the sides, but not enough to count as a back light :sigh: ) I hope this helps any, I will try to led backlight my other one of these and post pics later.

JEEVES