1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Pulling A CPU And RAM Out Of Running Computer!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Malvolio, 7 Jan 2004.

1. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

thats sooo dangerous its sounds good...

2. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

I did that once...except it was an accident

All i remember was smoke and the smell of melting intel! :D

it was an old socket 7 (i think)

Last edited: 20 Apr 2004
  3. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

you're the test dummy here. so lets put a pc in the microwave, turn it on, and light it on fire!

4. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

How about filling it with tp and lighting 'er up, while monitoring temps of course :naughty:

AND VIDEO!!!!!! <---- you CAN'T forget that! :lol:

5. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Speaking of microwaves.. Has anyone put a CD in one? Lol it's awesome.. but it reeks like all hell.

I couldn't imagine what a mobo inside of a microwave would do, all that metal.. and the capacitors... Yuck, Sounds like grounds for a badass mess.

- How about a paperclip in a pci slot? :)
    - Take yer heatsink off of an old K6-2 and OC it to like 1.5GHZ, and try to cook some hamburger on it :)
    - Take a high RPM fan, strip off the casing (the plastic parts that help you mount it) extend the wires, harden the blades by soaking in super glue (if it's not an aluminum-bladed fan), turn yer comp on and let it rip things up inside there ;)
    - Magnets are always fun; Take a nice big battery (like a car battery) and make a strong electromagnet out of it. Home it in on your monitor and let it rip. Or you could try to apply it to your CPU, HD.. etc
    - See what happens when you split open a capacitor cap while the comp is running
    - Stick your tounge in the PSU while it is running and see what happens

Man you guys are dumb lol(the ones that actually went so far as playing with the motherboard in close contact while it was on), do you realise how much voltage is running through some of those capacitors? Even a capacitor for a camera flash can kill you if you get it in the right spot.. You're taunting death.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2004
  6. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I would think about 24 volts (+12v and -12v combined.) So, not very dangerous. All those big elecrolytic caps are for noise filtration and stabalization.

now... I had an idea, based on what Mase just said. overvolt fans until they burn out. I modded a fanbus to output up to around 20 volts (but sadly uses the -12v line, so it was not an applicable mod) the one fan I was using sucked itself accross my desk :jawdrop: It was so cool (hehe.. no pun intended ;)) I wonder what max voltage a 12 volt fan could take anyways... It shoudl be 12V, but I imagine some leeway here. Mainly because most electrical engineers allow for some deviation in their equipment and such.

7. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

I was speaking of mainly capacitors in the PSU area, I believe there are some inside there that could injure/kill. Plus, Messing with an actual wall-socket-connected current isn't the smartest thing to do..

8. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Thats true, there are some 47 uF caps that have a max volatge of around 220Volts. but that depends what is running on the mains line. So, about 120... I managed to tickle the **** **** out of my thumb and index with a xmas light starnd. I didn't suffer injury, other than shock (no pun intended, well, ok... I did intend for it) I didn't go around xmas lights for a while after that. So, 120 isn't always harmful... but I wouldn't just go and zap myself whenever I felt like it ;) 42 volts is kinda tingly between left and right hand... as long as you don't have a pace maker (*spelling?) I suppose.

9. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

What about the "screensavers" on Techtv

A segment a few months back... distroying data on a hard disk... sulfuric acid... C4, sledge hammer. :eyebrow:

They sure like sledge hammers... Patrick destroyed a computer on the first day of this season... :clap:

I took a power supply with the cover off and filled it with wipcream --- szzzz...... no more power supply. :rock:

10. A ki ra

A ki ra What's a Dremel?

How about this one... Place your tounge on the psu capiator while it's depleted of course. Then plug in the psu and turn it on. :worried:

11. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

dude you have to tell us the link for that

12. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

Referring to the original topic, I was recently installing Win 98 on an old system with a damaged video card. The image started flickering and I couldn't get it to stop so I ripped the card out. It didn't work when I plugged it back in, but Windows kept installing without a hitch and restarted as per normal :hehe: Then the card started up again :p

13. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

STOP GIVING ME IDEAS!!

the school my dad works for has LOADS of old celerys 233/333 that are not used!

i might ask to "borrow" one.... :D :idea: :clap: :dremel: :hehe:

14. Mienai

Mienai What's a Dremel?

Ooh, here's an idea, how about powering your mobo with a couple high current inverters, that should pop some caps.

15. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

just going back to mr clarkson for a moment. when he did his program on computers (i think the series was inventions that changed the world or something) they had an old pc running and then put it through a massive EMP (you know, the sort you get in films but a proper one lol) in a big research laboratory. suffice to say the computer was not happy afterwards lol

16. Piratetaco

all the 'EMP' did was wipe some numbers out of the PC. it still turned on,thus wasn't totally knackered.if a nuke goes of near your PC the EMP will completly destroy the circuitery(forgive my spelling) of the PCB's,thus it won't turn on.all they did on clarkson was put it near a huge magnet.

17. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

just try give vodka to P1 when its runnig or something like that

18. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Actually you're slightly misguided there!

The EMP made the computer go crackers but when he turned it back on it didn't work and wouldn't recognise the hdd. in the scientist's words it "lost it's identity and would not work at all from now on..." so really even though it did power on it would be completely useless and so would be "totally knackered".

My idea involves something i saw in a magazine (PC Upgrade)

One person who wanted a better cooling solution put his whole computer in a dustbin full of motor oil which apparently is non-conductive. If you could cool the motor oil then it would be as good as water cooling! :rock: :hehe: :D

19. Piratetaco

ok. i thought proper EMP (like from a nuke) destorys circuitery. like when america set off a nuke over the pacific.the EMP blast wave took out lights cars,generators,ect on a some small island.it actually blew out all the the street lights. to my knowledge(from howstuffworks.com) is that EMP blast induces a current in all electronic devices.thus over loading them.thus an EMP blast would physically destroy some or all of the electronic components of the mobo,CPU,etc.thus the PC wouldn't even be able to turn on and would be 'completely knackered'

what i'm trying to say is clarkson didn't use EMP.

the howstuffworks artice is here

20. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

he did though!