1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case opinions/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twilighted, 21 Mar 2004.

1. Twilighted

Twilighted What's a Dremel?

I'm in the market for a new case, and I've been considering these two the most. They're actually the same case, but one comes with a premodded window and slightly different color scheme.

Case 1 - I like the look of this one, it's fashionable and simple.

Case 2 - I like this one for the not-square window, but I'm not sure if that's worth the 15 extra bucks.

I'm mainly interested in a standard ATX case that's black and silver, well-made but cheap, and sleek (NOT boxy). I wouldn't be doing much modding to it besides probably adding blue LEDs.

Has anyone used either of these cases, or perhaps knows of another stylish black/silver case?

Thanks!

Last edited: 21 Mar 2004
  2. Jim_Mcneat

Jim_Mcneat What's a Dremel?

First off, i'm speaking as a person who doesn't hate premods. You'll most likely get others who hate them.

I like the second case's window design, although putting in a window of your own is a trivial task. Also, the second one has spiffy mouse/kb, and painting your own mouse/keyboard never works as well (Mine's painted, but clearcoat rubs off after time and heavy use, especially round the WASD keys...)

As a final note, I would recommend against using TigerDirect. I've had two orders from them, both have been plagued with problems (first one shipped in two parts, but the case and mobo came almost a month later! Second order had a defective video card.) Try checking Newegg.

For other cases, I find the ones by Aspire to be good. I'm using one right now, and a friend is ordering one now. The interior design is good, the aesthetics are nice, and so on. I'm using an X-Alien, friend bought an X-Dreamer. The dreamer is nice-looking, isn't overdone, has some functional things (like a temp readout), and has a reasonable price. Let me see if I can find one in black/silver...I see a black one and a silver one, both with blue lights. Not exactly fitting your descriptions, but still good. Look around there in newegg.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2004
  3. Twilighted

Well, the keyboard and mouse don't really matter. One reason I want the silver/black case is I have a Logitech MX500 and elite keyboard, which are very curvy and silver/black.

I ordered my current case from TigerDirect and didn't have any problems. I'll keep your experience in mind though and look for another reseller.

4. Jim_Mcneat

As I edit, you reply. Wow.

Knowing that the KB/Mouse don't matter, I continue my suggestion of Aspire, but it's really a matter of how much work you want to put into it. It's a very nice case design, so it's all a question of "Do I want to do the window myself, or have it done already for me?"

However, a few points about the case. I don't see anywhere mentioning that it uses rails, and those make the process considerably easier. Likewise about a removeable motherboard tray. The pictures suggest that it does not use rails, and the motherboard tray is inconclusive. It looks like a different peice of metal, but not nessecarily removeable.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-073&depa=0
    is the X-Dreamer. A very nice case, quite pretty, although I admit it is a bit boxy.

5. Twilighted

6. Jim_Mcneat

I saw that case, and I can see where the power/reset buttons are. It is very nice case, very contoured.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-123-027&depa=0
    came to my mind. Not boxy, removeable drive cage, room for a 120mm fan in the rear with no modding needed (big plus), non-square window, and some other cool things. I like it, and considered getting one once.

As you can tell, picking a case is no longer a "do I want the big beige box, or the little beige box?" question.

7. Twilighted

8. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Let me start by saying we al have to start some where and I do hate premods but if you want to start there fine...

I like the new egg case because it is real clean in the front which I like... I am not a fan of the curve fronts though, limit midding ability. Try to get a case without a window and a flat panel as it allows more modding oportunity later on if you wish. If you want to see why a premod window is bad look at my project log and check out the side window before and after cutting. You can not do the second cut stuff with the first window... I had to source another panel to do this. The project is baby bliss, link at the bottom.

Other wise good luck on finding the case... just do something cutom so it will not be just another premod.

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Please dont buy that first case m8!

I will have to track ur IP find ur home address and smash it with a large bat if u do, thats nasty....urgh.

www.ebuyer.co.uk

more cases than u can shake a stick at...even a big stick...some nice stuff too...might i suggest u check the end of line deals.

10. Jim_Mcneat

my58vw: You made some excellent points, and I agree with all of them.

I, too, agree that some premods are far too overdone. I prefer premods that have done the simpler things: windows, painting, etc. Anything too preformed or that impairs modding and originality is bad. However, picking a case to start with is all a matter of preference and what kind of investment you want to make. If you want to start with a box and turn it into something fantastic, your case will be far superior to all others, but it will also require a large investment of time and effort. I try to pick a balance of looks and effort needed.

I'm afraid i've never tried ebuyer, as i'm in the states. Newegg's selection is fine, however.

11. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Stick with a classic boxy case and add some windows, lights if thats your thing. Paint it nice, do a little custom electronic work and it will :rock: because you made it yourself.

12. Jim_Mcneat

RR5: That's the best approach to it, however, that is a ton of work. I can't speak for Twilighted, but the cases that he has picked out seems to show that he doesn't want to redo the entire case, but simply modify it.