1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Newbie Gear:

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hepath, 20 Mar 2004.

1. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Ok,
    I am thinking about doing some electronics - you guys just ooze enthusiasm! :D So, this ASPMuppet is going to go all hardware...but I have zero, nil, none, zilcho tools.

What tools would I require. Please dont answer "A soldering iron" - but add a little qualification like its size! Having looked in the Maplins catalogue its like "where the hell does one start!!".... So I'm asking you guys! This would include stuff for creating circuit boards such as those post by Macroman.

Suggestions here please :)

Stu

2. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Well, a soldering iron is a good start. A cheap 30W or so one would do, I have a weller thats been going strong for years.
    A good pair of snips is also essential for cutting and stripping wire. Also if you're building circuits a multimeter is essential for checking stuff and fault-finding. Other essentials are a good set of screwdrivers (especially the really small ones), and a craft knife.

Just looking in my toolbox (ie corner of room) for some other handy bits. Things like a soldering iron stand (so you dont burn your desk), automatic wire strippers, desoldering pump and one of those 'helping hands' things. Not essential but handy none the less.

Also, maplins probably isnt the cheapest of places to buy from. Got most of my stuff from Rapid, local shops and the market.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Having started with a cheap over-powered, over-tipped iron, I'd say go straight for a decent mid-range model like the Antex CS 18W, (Maplin FY62S, £15), the standard 2.3mm bit is OK for PCB work and audio leads. With these irons you can get a range of spare bits or a new element, & it will last donkey's years.

You can get a proper stand for £5 (or both with a bit of solder and a guide as a kit, FY68Y, £20), or just hook it over an old ice-cream container that stores all your other bits 'n pieces. A bit of damp sponge is needed to wipe the bit clean, it comes with the stand or you can cut a slice off a kitchen sponge (the hard coarse-hole type that doesn't melt, mine came from Tesco originally).

Get some 22G (0.7mm) solder, a small Multicore pack (Maplin GU98G, £1.99) will last ages.

De-soldering braid is handy for removing components or solder in the wrong place (Maplin RE94C, £1.99)

A pair of small side-cutters for trimming component leads after soldering, I found mine at £1 on the local market but Maplins RL85G (£2.99) are similar size.

Get a bit of veroboard and practice soldering bits of wire to it, then make up a couple of the Maplin/Velleman kits, they have several under £5. :thumb:

Rapid are a bit cheaper (same iron is £12.86, stand £4.76) so it depends on whether you can pop into a Maplin shop or need to pay delivery ;)

4. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

Liquid Flux. So few people realize how magical liquid flux is for clean soldering. You can honestly be a complete noob at soldering and flux will make your work look good. I suggest liquid because in my experiece, it just works better and is easier to work with. The paste is annoying IMO and solder with flux in it doesn't approach how awesome liquid flux is. Something like this (the first item on the page) to apply the flux isn't a bad idea either. This is especially important if you plan on soldering SMT parts.

I swear, I'm the biggest advocate of liquid flux. It makes me happy.

Also, if you've got some money to spend, one of those magnifying glasses on an arm with the light behind it is nice. It's not important, but once you use one, you kinda like to always use it.

Oh, and if you use flux, you'll need to clean the boards so a small brush that has never been used for anything else (that's important) to wash your board is good to have around. In all honesty, it can be a toothbrush, and if you have small projects, no reason to have anything bigger than a toothbrush, but if you ever want to make big boards, a bigger brush is good :)

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Those little "Helping Hand" vices,with crocodile clips to hold the board while you have the iron in one hand, solder in the other, and a wire in the third, come in handy. :D

Check out the useful links, there's a good soldering guide at EPE magazine site

Last edited: 21 Mar 2004