1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Ice:Update:4|09|04 :: Airbrushing Endeavors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [t0rc], 12 Jan 2004.

1. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the psu, thanks a lot. :D

2. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

Dang man, nice tribal flames. I've been a parttime airbrusher for several years now and cutting masks for those things still give me fits. Good job. :thumb:

3. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

I've returned from the dead...

After a week of working and being busy, I have returned. Luckily, with an update. Its a medium sized update, perhaps edging on large. That will be following this post. . .

<whiteeagle> what do you use to make the masks?

4. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Update!!! ^_^

Finally! I have completed more on the case during the past week and haven't been able to get on here and post about it, so here we go! :clap: The worst thing about taking pictures with this case is that you get all this glare and reflected light that ruins the picture quality. :duh: :wallbash:

First I'll start with the HDD mounts and the front panel. While I was waiting for the design to set, I went ahead and made the HDD mount real quick. I used 5 brackets and only 2 of the 5 actually effect airflow but they are insignificant in that respect because they're so small. After getting out the dremel and setting up the depth on it, I went ahead and I cut out a design for a built it grille. I decided to use this instead of the other one that I spraypainted or making another one because I want a flat face on the front. And I have plans that require it to be flat :naughty: . Heres the pics:
    [​IMG] As for the fan, I used the depth control mount for the dremel again and cut out a square that fit the fan. So there is about 1-2mm of aluminum and plastic between the grille design and the fan.

Using the same exact depth process above with the dremel, I made the hole in the back panel for the PSU. It looks a little goofy :hehe: around the edges because theres still plastic on that whole panel.
    [​IMG]
    There you can also see what the case looks like with the PSU properly mounted. And in the close up of the mounts and the hole you can see that I put a plate with 2 screws on the end of one of the pieces of extrusion. It just looks better and I might try to get an endcap for it. Anyways, thats my update for now. :rock: :rock: But I do have one thing to ask:

If anyone has ideas as to how I can make the PCI holes and mounts, I would appreciate it and of course give you credit. Pictures and diagrams would also be nice and make it easier. Have a good day everyone!

Last edited: 22 Mar 2004
  5. kestrel

kestrel What's a Dremel?

those flames look pimp! the case looks great, keep up the good work

6. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Beautiful :baby:

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Holy Damn, that looks sweet! It may have taken you two weeks to update, but it looks worth it! :baby: PCI Slots giving you trouble eh? Well, there is the easy way out and the hard way out, the easy way being to take an existing (preferrably old, cheap, and worthless) case and use your dremel to remove the metal plate that is used to mount the PCI slots. This would be simple, but it might be tough to make it match your theme. And so, we come upon solution number two, and the first of the hard way outers. Take a thick piece of plexiglass and a router, and remove most of the material, and leave an L shape left on the plexi. The remaining L should be about half an inch tall. Drill holes into this for screw mounts. Then, on the remaining panel of plexi that was made with the router, make holes in the panel for the way out of the PCI cards. I know this doesnt make too much sense, so if anyone can clarify (I dont want anyone to say "I think RotoSequence means **short dealy that provides very little substance in his post** I only want people who know what they are talking about :)) And now, the other hard way. Take a panel of aluminum, and cut a half inch square out from the upper left corner. Then, bend that aluminum, based on looking at it from the from the panel with the corner up there, bend the parts of the aluminum that are sticking out relative to where you cut the corner. bend them back so that in the back of the panel, a right angle is formed. Weld or solder (Welds are cleaner, unless you are really good) The two edges of the folded panels together. You can then cut out the ares necessary to mount PCI devices. This would be a lot tougher to do than just robbing out a PCI mounting bracket from an older case, but then again, it just might end up that much more satisfying ;) :D Sorry for sabatoging your thread here, [t0rc]! The new update is beautiful! :baby: :hip: Keep up the exellent moddage! :dremel:

8. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Split....

At the moment, I have been looking around at some LCD's and VFD's and I need some opinions. What should I get: An LCD with blue background and white writing, OR a Graphic VFD with a blue filter? :confused: :confused:

9. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

I'd say get a VFD. I don't recall the differences, but they're supposedly better, and I heard that they have a better viewing angle.

10. y_N_e_M_a

y_N_e_M_a What's a Dremel?

i think think VFD(Vacuem Flouresent Diplay)s . if you are planning on getting the samsung one,(http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1221.htm) just remember that the software is apparantly crappy. also the samsung one as an remote.

the difference between LCD modules and VFD's is that the VFD hasd a bright and more clear display and also a lot wider viewing angle

[t0rc] likes this.
  11. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

lol thats sweet mate

12. JeffPH

JeffPH What's a Dremel?

looking good keep up the good work! :thumb:

13. coorz

coorz Miffed

VFD all the way! Once you've seen VFD you'll never want an LCD (unless it's a huge ass LCD)

14. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Thanx Everyone! Keep postin! ;)

<y_N_e_M_a> The Samsung looks interesting but I dont think that the VFD can be seen from far enough away to need a remote, unless its to change songs, etc on the computer instead of the stuff on the VFD. But 16 x 2 is too small. I am looking at VFD's that are like 4 x 20. Does Samsung make that model with the remote in larger sizes?

15. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Lack of Updates....

Well as for the lack of updates, I've been busy with many things. A lot of household stuff cuz my mom broke her ankle in 3 spots and had to get 3 pins put in. :sigh: So I'm doing a lot more around the house. Plus, Im working on my website. Well sooner or later, they'll be a update. as for now, have a good day.

16. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Recent News...

I've finally got some time on my hands, and I want to make this case look a bit more original. So looks like its time to buy an airbrush. I need to buy everything again, as I got rid of my previous airbrush. Anyone have any suggestions on parts? Plus I was watching Monster Garage the other day and this guy used some stuff, which appeared to be like a rubber in a roll, and he layed down his design on a car hood with that stuff. I dunno what it is, but I know what its for. Anyone have the slightest clue what I'm talking about? :sigh: :confused:

17. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Striping Tape - For doing flames and custom work. You'll want 1/8 in. wide for tight layouts. Look for Blue Painters Tape. :thumb:

Last edited: 9 Apr 2004
  18. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Sweeeeeettttttt

Sweet, thnx. Do you know any exact sites that I can buy some from?

19. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Country?

If US - Try: http://www.fauxfinishingshoppe.com/cheestapandm.html

They list alot of different options. The Scotch 3M (TM) 1/8 inch & 1/4 inch fine line tape - 60yds, looks like a nice option.
    You can also try any Home-Depot or Lowes if you are in the US.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2004
  20. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Wicked.

Whoops. Yeah, Im in the USA. I checked out the Scotch and thats looks really good. Exactly what I'm looking for. have any idea what I should put over the rest to mask it off? Should I buy those giant plastic sheets for painting and then just lay my design down on that. Then cut inside the tape lines, and paint? Or what? cuz I may also do the hood of a few cars for some friends, and that would be a lotta masking tape. . . :thumb: