1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Best Distro For me?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zmaster2k, 20 Mar 2004.

1. Zmaster2k

Zmaster2k You looking at me?

how'd i make it read only then? it has all my music on it!

2. RTT

RTT #parp

The stuff you added to /etc/fstab mounts it in read-only mode, so we have that bit covered :) Any answers to port22 openage?

3. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Did this earlier today, installed a module rather than recompiling the kernel.

Have a look here.

4. Zmaster2k

at the moment, /mnt/win is there but there is nothing in it!

and did the stuff kermit suggested but nothing happened!
    am behind a router how do i know what my ip is? and if port 22 is open?

(i need a shovel iam in over my head!)

5. Zmaster2k

EDIT:

Sod It iam getting on quite well with linux,

got a copy of Mandrake 10rc1 gonna whack that on!

First few questions!

No CD Writer on my computer so i need ohysically take my hard disk to my dads computer. heres the bad news dads com runs windows 98! ie no ntfs support! so iam gonna need to remove fendora to format it in windows to fat32 so i can put all my music and documents on the 4gb drive to burn to cd on my dads pc! once backed up to cd

format my 15gb drive and my 4gb drive

install linux mandrake 10
    then replace all my docs and music to computer?

question is will windows still boot without linux?

6. ajack

ajack rox

Might have got this all wrong but why can't you just take the CDRW out of the other puter and put it into yours? You don't have to format anything then.

7. Zmaster2k

any ideas on ntfs access yet?

8. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

ntfs access, from linux, is, in general a bad thing. I use fat32 on my windows xp so that I can still share files with my gentoo install. I'd recommend Gentoo actually- the forums are excellent, the distro is top notch, the install instructions :rock: and you'll probably learn more about linux installing gentoo than you will in a month with mandrake. Just my 2p though!

Basically, to enable ntfs you're going to have to recompile the kernel. This is actually a lot easier than it sounds. Do a google for "recompile kernel" +<insert your distro here> and I'm sure you'll find a way of doing it. Be warned, if you do recompile then you might have to recompile your video and sound drivers...

Theres also always the module method that Kermet proposed. This might well be the easiest way of doing it. The instructions in his link are very good.

For further information on mounting, etc, I suggest you google for "fstab" and also at the fstab manpage (type "man fstab" at a command prompt").

HTH

Sam

9. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

Instead of opening a whole new thread on the same subject i thought i would post in here, what version of linux would be best for me the things i wish to do are:

Share Files/Folder
    Network with a windows system
    run a file server
    run a web server
    run a ftp server
    Store mp3 files

Hope you can help

Cheers
    Richman

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Richman - Well see, the thing about linux distros is that they can all do exactly what you want. Redhat, Mandrake, whatever - they can all share MP3s, store files, etc. They just work in slightly different ways. Mandrake is designed to be a user friendly distro that will act as your typical family computer. This means that there are tools to do everything for you (like windows). Just point and click.

Slackware/gentoo on the other hand are geared towards the user who knows what he is doing, prefers to install everything from source, and won't mind using the command line to configure pretty much everything using text files or commands.

An example of this is - I would guess that to share your MP3s to windows machines, mandrake will have a control-panel type piece of software for this purpose. Set your workgroup, machine name, directories to share then hit OK, then everything will work. The alternative would be you'd be editing a config file in a text only command line environment. Then you'd be starting the samba daemon with the appropriate command line arguments.

Go with something like mandrake/redhat(fedora)/SuSE to start with because you would have difficulty installing something like Slack or gentoo. Once you're familar with how things work you may want to move on a little - but if you're happy with mandrake/fedora/whatever, then stick with it!

11. Uncle Psychosis

I have to disagree- the gentoo installation instructions are excellent- unless you have some really funky hardware you shouldn't have any problems :)

I think a lot of the choice goes on whether you want to be able to just *use* linux or whether you want to have a better understanding of it. Knoppix, Mandrake etc are all fine if you just want a box that works without having to think about it :)

Sam

12. Sanchos

Sanchos What's a Dremel?

Im interested in getting gentoo on my old pc, but im already stuck :wallbash:
    I know gentoo is not recommended for complete n00bs to linux, but id prefer to learn the hard way, but already im stuck as to what .iso i need :(
    The comp has a celeron processor, so could anyone intruct me on what .iso i should be downloading?

13. Uncle Psychosis

Have you read the installation manual? Its at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml#doc_chap2 I think.

For specific gentoo help, their docs are very useful, and the gentoo forums are invaluble. At a guess, I would say you need either the x86 iso or maybe the pentium 3 one, I dont know enough about celerons to be more specific.

Cheers

Sam

14. RTT

RTT #parp

Ok, I shouldn't have said gentoo really since i've never used it :shifty: I suspect then that a newcomer might be able to install gentoo, but might not really know what they are doing (anyone can just follow instructions!).

I'm all for jumping in the deep end though! :D

15. Uncle Psychosis

Yeah, jumping in the deep end is all good :)

I also recommended gentoo because the forums are really good, and theres a lot of documentation out there. After all, the quickest way to learn about something is to do it yourself, right?

Sam

16. RTT

RTT #parp

Absolutely :cooldude:

17. Sanchos

Sanchos What's a Dremel?

Yeah, ive read gentoos guides i found them easy enough to follow yet i still coulden't see what version i need.
    Ive gone with install-x86-universal-2004.0.iso that looks like the right one to me.

Hopefully i can get it working once ive fixed the pc :)

18. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

i use debian.

i found the installer (woody installer) on the actually debian to be LAME, and some funky stuff with XFree config all the time. so i downloaded knoppix and then used the knx-install command, as it will basically support most any hardware, and it loves my laptop!! it also is a nice way of installing as its a single disc.. that contains 2 GB of stuff on there, and has everything you need installed and with options of fluxbox, iceWM, KDE, windowmaker, etc. for interface its a damn good package.

im currently downloading "overclockix", which is a modified version of knoppix with SETI@home, folding@home, pi, prime and all good benchie tools preinstalled, and incorporates stuff like nforce2 drivers for various things, and graphics drivers, than your average distro doesnt.

19. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

yes, that will work. is it a stage1, 2, or 3 iso?

the differences are:

stage 1: compile absolutely everything from scratch (including the compiler) and do a lot of work but have a system that's fully optomized for your processor

stage2: use a precompiled compiler and a few other things, but still compile most of the stuff from scratch. It saves a bit of time and probably doesn't lose too much optomization.

stage3: use everything precompiled (including apps). As it's distributeted by processor type, it's still largely optomized but there's less customization. Much larger initial download (~500mb iso as opposed to the ~15mb one for stage1)

which ever one you use, anything not installed off the cd will be compiled from scratch and optomized for your system. the portage system is phenominally easy to use, and very adept at grabbing all the dependancies for programs. the forums on the gentoo site are excelent, and if you're too lazy for that, there's the #gentoo channel on freenode.net.

a celeron is goign to be using the same processor optomizations of the pentium it's built off of. so for example, my celeron 500 is a mendocino core, so i used pentium2 optomizations. coppermine core celerons are pIII, and anything bigger than something like 1.4ghz is going to be p4 based. if you have a livecd, type 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' at the command prompt and see what it says about the core of the processor. google should be able to tell you what core was used in what pentiums, so use the pentium optomizations for whatever core you have. (celerons are just pentium processors with half the l2 cache).

hope that's useful info for anyone considering installing linux.

-PsychoI3oy
    happy owner of 3 pcs running gentoo, all stage 1's with 2.6 kernels(laptop, desktop, and natbox just set up today :) )

20. Uncle Psychosis

The only thing about doing a stage1/stage2 install is that it takes bloody ages. I've heard talk of stage 1's lasting upwards of 40 hours on slower machines :)

For your first install, I would go with stage 3.

Also, when it comes to choosing the kernel, go with gentoo-dev-sources or whatever it is. That way you'll get the newest 2.6.whatever kernel, which has excellent audio and graphics support.

Cheers

Sam

Tags: