1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics XT, SE, Ultra?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rekarp, 23 Mar 2004.

1. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

What is the difference in the Geforce FX 5900, SE, XT, and Ultra besides the price?

2. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Depends....

XT for nvidia = Somewhat lesser card (normally just cheaper quality card and lower clocks)
    XT for Radeon = Somewhat better card (higher clocks, possibly better quality hardware)

SE for both is a lesser card (normally just cheaper quality card and lower clocks)

Ultra / PRO for both is better, mainly better hardware, and higher clocks than that of its normal / se/xt brother.

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

What about the normal Geforce FX 5900. Is that better or worse than the XT and SE?

Thanks

4. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Heh, as a matter of fact... the evga fx5900 SE (what I have) is a KICKASS card for just 185usd (plus mine came with call of duty)... I wouldn't say it is any lesser than the normal 5900s... but from the other manufacturers they might be.
    Generally though, geforce (aka nvidia as I said earlier) XT/SE's are lesser than their counterparts...

5. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

Thanks mace for the quick reply. Ive been very confused about video cards since i want to upgrade. After buying BF vienam my graphics began to so its age. Once i save enough money i get a new card.

Thanks again!

6. silicond17

silicond17 What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't blame your card too much on Battlefield Vietnam running slow. I just got a fresh Sapphire 9800SE overclocked beyond 9800XT core clock speeds, and BF Vietnam is choppier than hell even at low settings at 1024x768. And add to that the graphics quality is terrible. I blame it on a piss-poor graphics engine. I can run Max Payne 2 at 1024x768 with 6X FSAA and AF at 60fps, but BF Vietnam can hardly run at low settings. I can't believe I spent $50 on that game... :wallbash:

7. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

I run BF vientam at the same resolution on my card and its not that choppy. The problem is that i get slow framerates online or move the graphics higher than low. Have you tried playing offline yet. My frame rate is so much better when played offline. Also you might want to reinstall or update you drivers for you card after you install the game. Updated drivers are a must for the game. Hope this solves your problem.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

is it just clocked to 9800XT speeds or is it softmodded as well? the 4 extra pipelines will make one hell of a difference if it isnt

9. silicond17

silicond17 What's a Dremel?

It's softmodded to 8 pipes and clocked to 420mhz.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Whats the diff between SE and XT then for nvidia? In real terms?? clocks/pipes/shaders etc

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

in that case it shouldnt be running anything slow
    just got a 9800XT and it ran CoD like an ass until i properly cleaned all the other drivers off my system, now it runs it fine

i believe there is very little difference beween the XT and SE variants of the 5900, there *may* be an ever so slight speed difference but i think that is all

12. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

silicond17 You need to do some tweaking to get good performance out of that game. The rest of your system isn't exactly the top of the line, but you can still get this game to run well if you tweak a bit.
    I run a softmodded 9800SE@stock clocks and XP 2000@ 1.8ghz, 1 gig of PC2700, kt400mobo, and fortissimo3 sound card. It works fine for me. Running with less than 768 megs of ram=nasty. Running the game with slower processor with eax enabled, or onboard sound=teh sluggish. The sound can really eat resources.

First of all make sure you're using miles 2d fast positional audio intead of EAX. EAX is inefficient. I use miles with maxed sound settings and it runs fine and sounds good with my 5.1 setup.

Look here
    for info. I'd recommend setting Graphics Quality to medium quality as it only affects the bump mapping on the buildings and wall but it affects performance really much. It looks fine without bump mapping. Only use bump mapping if you have a monster of a system.

A lot of people say if you set Geometry quality to low you won't notice any difference. I didn't either.
    Texture quality should be maxed unless you're short on ram.
    You should also tweak the soundbuffer settings and try experimenting with AA settings a bit. There isn't that much difference between 4X and 6X you know. I only play with 2XAA and 8X AF cause i want good framerates.

Get enough ram.

You need a bit of patience in the beginning, to get it working with maximum eye candy without sacrificing framerates. After you have it configured properly it'll be fun. :dremel: I luv BFV now that i have it working well.

13. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

Rock on :rock:

14. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

im Waiting for the 9900 Pro

15. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Hypo... you know.. you go around saying you want this and that but you never end up buying any of it... your system is not very great either, so maybe you should spend time upgrading that instead... The advice you give is almost completely off topic the whole time (Yes, now as well.. this is a board about xt / se / ultra (aka nvidia geforce) cards.. and you just post a virtually useless post about the next series of radeons, which I don't even think the official name has been released yet, and it still remains nv400 or something like that)

Meh, anyways.. speaking of drivers, I probably could use some cleaning-up too.. I probably have fragments of 52.16, 53.03, 55.55, 55.56 and 56.64(current driver)'s laying around right now :(

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Easy tigers, put them teeth away

/me grabs wooden chair and whip (and a pencil to tick off the box).

17. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

you mean R420 and 423 ... :rolleyes:
    my dad has been laid off for 2 years now, and i cant get a decent mid wage job without bustin a cap in a customers ass..i told you what mental disorders i have.... even with medication its still pretty bad.. my bros trying to hook me up with a job where he works at.. hopefully

18. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

/me takes stance and pounces *rawr* I will eat j00.
    - Ah, the power of IRC.

lol anyways, hypo.. Meh, I wouldn't admit I have mental disorders online to anyone (except for the closest friends of mine) if I had one... But alright, I'll leave you alone

Tags: