1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Mod: Lian Li PC-61b :: Feedback Plz!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by STi305, 22 Mar 2004.

1. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

Hiya guys,
    been registerd for a while, but this is my first actual mod! yay! im excited :D . lol anyway, this has taken me a while to get even this far, due to the fact that i cant get a job yet, and allowance blows :grr: , but ive finally made enough progress so that i can get my log goin.

well,
    here is my case before anything happend to it, just 2 drives, and a fan controler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*ill post more pics later, but the upload is REALLY slow so ima take my time i guess?!
    **hopefully those pics work too, first time ive posted any ever so if it doesnt, sorry ill fix it soon i promise!

O, and, my plans for this case involve, 80ish LEDs, side window, cable treatment (i neeed it sooo badly :lol: ), and a new blow hole, and of course window so all the pretty LEDs can shine through :naughty:

ill be back with more pics, i promise :thumb:

2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Painting or stealthing your drives is another thing you should add to your plans! Will make it look muchos better :thumb:

3. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

lol wayyyyyy ahead of you tek. already have that complete, actually, half of the work is done, im just waiting for next weekend, my cousin is an electronics wiz, so he and i are going to order and setup the leds, there will be very nice suprises with them, but im not saying yet.

well, here are those stealthed drives i neglected to mention haha

[​IMG]

below, you can see the lame grill restricting the airflow of my exhaust, i cut that off, but im waiting to order panaflos, and some of the nice and clean lookin wire grills, which i will add back there.

[​IMG]

also, i got a really nice new vantec 520 watt psu that is sittin back there with the nice grills i like alot too, its cool because its really quiet and runs 3 fans so its nice and cool too. :thumb:

and last but not least, ill leave ya'll with a picture of my planed window that i have already cut!??? :lol: im tryin to drag this out a while so i can get my leds and continue my log :D

[​IMG]

the window will be on the inside of the blue tape, and there will be kinda like a backslash off to the side of it so the window wont look so small.

hope ya like so far, not much i know, but ill post as much as i can tommorow, or later tonight. :thumb:

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

curse you for making me post a useless post! :hehe:

thats not an intellimouse 4 is it? I don't think it is, but just checking.

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice case.
    Have u considered cutting another 80mm hole next the the main exhaust, for twin exhausts?

- - - and tek, i'm pretty sure its not an intellimouse4

6. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

tek: nah its some inland brand mouse, i dont know, i got it at frys on sale for like nothing, but it works for me i guess.

and shadow, yea i think that i will cut an extra back there, i measured and it should fit perfectly, i think that will be a finishing touch kinda deal though. right now i want to sleeve all my messy cables, and get my LEDs ordered.

hopefully the LEDs will get ordered within a week, because my cousin and i are going to do the LED work together, because he knows a lot about electronincs and im a noob. so probably get those ordered next weeked, and the sleeving hopefully ordered tonight.

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

glad to hear your doing the twin fan idea.
    I've never been a fan of lian li's because of their midi cases, but when modded they are much better :thumb:

And let me guess, blue leds?
    - - Yes i am moaning, everyone uses blue :hehe:

8. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

actually, not JUST blue leds.

im thinkin along the lines of 80ish LEDs, ima get red, green, and blue, and try to get it so that i can mix em to make other colors.

and if i cant mix em, my cuz is going to help me set it up so that i can have some basic program that i can control each LED individualy.

im going to replace the hdd LED, power LED, fan controler LEDs, EVERYTHING. i was going to wait to tell you guys that, but i dont want any groaning about only blue. :lol:

ill post again later tonight, with new pics.

9. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

ok then update time:

window gettin all taped out and measured

[​IMG]

and as you can see there is a hole in the middle of where my window will be, that was where my dad and i tested how well the router will cut into the alu. we chose the router, because we can do perfectly rounded circles with it, and the finished product looks baller.

this is just a progress shot.

[​IMG]

after cutting it out, the inside of the cut was shiny and silver, so i painted cut area from the back of the case so the front didnt get hit with the paint, it already chipped off on some areas, but the overall effect is much nicer.

and here she is with the plexi doublesided taped in. i used tape, because i dont know if i wanna go with rivits instead, i like the look, but i think it might look bad having rivits around the window then just having the slash things chillin over there.

[​IMG]

so there ya have it for now....

id really like an opinion about the rivits, and support for your choice just so i can weigh my choices.

ill post pics from the front tomorrow... hope ya like :thumb:

10. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Rivets or no Rivets?...

Rivets: Pros; Look Professonal, Hold plexi in well, strong, Factory Looking

Cons; Look premodded (i.e. factory), look bad with molding

Tape: Pros; Clean look, can use molding, nice for design work on panel

Cons; Not as strong as rivets, can lose grip with time (some tapes)

I like the look of the non rivited li lian cases and I would go that route, expecially if you want the I modded this myself look...

11. toand

toand What's a Dremel?

Looks great, love them Lian Li's :brrr:
    I'm planing my next mod now on a PC7.. lovely :D
    I'll probably use rivets for my case windows, but I think that'll match the look I'm going for so.. :)

12. y_N_e_M_a

y_N_e_M_a What's a Dremel?

mmmm, :brrr: lian li...pretty.

are you going to be following a theme?

maybe you could create one of those things were all the LEDs display text and things like that.

also maybe a green theme instead of the blue that ive seen everyone do

13. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

not exactly a theme, but there will be TONS of LEDs. like i said im thinkin around 80, but they way i mount them is up in the air. i will definetaly be replacing the hdd/ power lights in the front with tri color that i can adjust to different colors depending on my mood/other leds in the case or whatever. im really just going to do all that i can, and since i have no experience my cousin will be my instructor if you will.

ill get a pic of it with the panel on up later tonight.

thanks so far guys.

PS. o and im no fan of the molding, so my58, i guess it will have to do without, but the edges are SOOO perfect because of the router that i wouldnt need it.

14. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

ok,
    tonight im going to order another rounded cable, and a sleeving kit thing.

but i just wanted to share what my system is that i have in here, and post a pic with the panel on:

SYSTEM:
    MSI K7N2 Delta
    Athlon XP 2600+
    (2) 512mb PC2700 RAM
    DVD/CD-ROM
    CDRW Drive
    (2) Western Digital 60gb Harddrives
    Sound blaster audigy 2
    GeForce 4 Ti-4600 <---my baby :thumb:
    Vantec Stealth series 520 watt PSU :: this thing is FRIGGIN AWESOME, 9 total molex connectors, three fans built in, thermal sensors on each fan, or you can change it to medium or high. if your gettin a new PSU get this one :thumb: :baby:

ok then,
    here she is with the panel on, and dont tell me to get those cables clean, cuz im orderin my sleeving kit later tonight

[​IMG]

*NOTE* thats not my real vid card, it died and the replacement is supposed to be here wednesday

hope ya like :D

15. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

that side panel cut looks great! :thumb:

i like the slits on the right of the window.

16. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

well done

I like the looks of this so far! I think it will come out to be a great case. It sounds like you have this thing planned out very well, which is definitely a wise decision. Well good luck and I like your ideas. I expect we will see bigger and better things from you!

17. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

:blush:

WOW

thank you so much, if and when i get a job i will most definetaly do my best to fufil that perdiction

thanks so much

18. y_N_e_M_a

y_N_e_M_a What's a Dremel?

love the window. very nice skillz on the dremel

19. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

not a dremel, i used a router so that my corners would be perfect :rock:

20. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

looks good, if you hadn't said it was your first no one would have thought ;) :thumb:

is that temporary card a GeForce4 Ti? if so, whats wrong with that?? ;)