1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Difference between BIX and BIP Radiators...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SkylerUnruh, 27 Mar 2004.

1. SkylerUnruh

SkylerUnruh What's a Dremel?

Okay guys... found out I have the dated BIP... is it worth upgrading to the BIX ? Just the single 120mm Black 1/2 setup... I want to lower my temps as much as possible though, would this help any... if so, any idea how much?

Thanks in advance... :thumb:

2. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

BIP:

Rated for 378KCal per hour (1501 BTU per hour) or 440W*

BIX:

More than DOUBLE the performance at the compact Black Ice Prime form factor: rated for 790KCal per hour (3134BTU per hour) or 919Wh.

(taken from the hwlabs website)

That should answer you question ;) As long as there aren't other factors such as flow restiction incrasing your temps...

3. SkylerUnruh

Uhh, there shouldn't be any problems with flow...

I am running Swiftech MCP600 12v pump, with Swiftech Waterblocks on CPU and Northbridge... also, I use Tygon 1/2 line'sand no 90* turns... all shallow slow bends, and I have a Double 5-1/2 BayRes. :rock:

4. pauldenton

pauldenton What's a Dremel?

if all other factors are unchanged, then the ({equilibrium water temp}-{temp of the air cooling the rad}) would drop by just over half... without knowing these 2 temps it's not possible to put a figure on it - but it's likely to be a significant drop (several degrees) since these rads aren't efficient enough to cool the water to within a handful of degrees of ambient.

5. SkylerUnruh

Okay.. heres some info for yah

Current CPU Temp is 39* C or 102.2* F :rock:
    Current Ambient Air Temp is 41* C or 105.8* F :eyebrow:

Thats under no load, the system has been running for about 2 days... this is also durring the hottest part of the day. If the BIX is that much better I wish I would have baught it in the first place. :grr:

I am working on an Air Conditioner piped into my radiator's incomming air... that should noticably drop my temps. I plan to call the setup AC-PC :brrr: , and yes the name is NOW copyrighted... lol. Working on painting the setup now, once AC-PC is designed and working I will post pics and temps of before and after. :rock: :rock: :rock:

6. pauldenton

pauldenton What's a Dremel?

it's impossible to use 41C air to cool a processor to 39C, so either the air blowing through the rad is cooler (from lower down than the thermometer you're using to measure it maybe?) and/or the processor temperature is underread by whatever means you're reading it ......

why on earth is the ambient temperature 41C? in march??
    according to this the temp in lawton peaks in the low twenties...
    http://asp.usatoday.com/weather/CityForecast.aspx?LocationID=USOK0537&ps=L1

edited to change to the correct city...

7. SkylerUnruh

Well...

The ambient temp was supposed to be system temp... lol, I ment to have said the ambient system temp's were 41*, and this is because that sensor is under my GFX card, the MSI GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb, think it is putting off some heat. When I start gaming it skyrockets up... lol, scares the crap outta me. So I devised the idea of using my AC that sets only a few feet away to pipe cold air down to the radiator intake fan. Should work pretty well, making it from plastic, then some special hose, looks similar to dryerhose but comes in many different colors. :eeek:

System temps are also probably high because I have only two 80mm intake fans... and they are filtered to reduce the horrible amount of dust we have around here from ending up in my case. Working on adding another 80mm exhuast fan on the bottom of the chassis, to blow out the hot air the video card is throughing down to the bottom of the case... tryed the card color crap, the fans go dead, or ball bearings crap out... went through 3-4 of them a while back, not gonna do that again. :dremel:

8. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

So WHERE is your rad located at this time?

What are the air temps going into the rad? That is the effective ambient temp, not the case air temp.

What fan(s) do you have on the rad, and what is that fan(s) cfm rate?

9. SkylerUnruh

BIP Rad is at the top of case...

Radiator is at the top of case, cut like a blowhole, only pulling cool air in. Fan is a lighted green fan, not too much CFM I dunno. I plan on swapping it out for a high CFM fan, and adding my own green LED's to it to light it up. Not sure what the best way of doing that would be. :dremel:

Tags: