1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Would you support me if I combined ideas from Zap's Ammo and G-gnomes Orac Cubed?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Noah, 27 Mar 2004.

1. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Title says it all. I have some genius ideas as to how I would combine aspects from both cases into one modern WWII can with a futurized looking computer inside? I have modded my mouse (almost complete) so that it is clear.

2. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

basically, you're safe so long as you're not trying to copy their case exactly.

Well, IMO anyway.

But good luck, :hehe: Zap's case is cramped and loaded with fan's while Gnome's is a wallet-monster.

Oh, and post some pics of that mouse :thumb:

3. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

:hehe: Will do. Do you think its a good idea?

4. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

yeah go for it! :thumb:

people generally dont mind you using their ideas, as long as you say so. :D

i look forward to seeing some pics!

RoB

5. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Nice guys, thanks.

Where can I get green tinted plexi? :D And how much does it cost?

I got the ammo can a while ago, picking it up today. Should start work today.

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I don't think plexiglass would be very rugged on the battlefield, but the project sounds like it could be interesting. And post some pictures of the mouse, I want to see how you turned it clear :thumb:

7. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

He glued a few pieces of plexi together to form a box, then he glued an LED to it and called it a mouse!

Haha, just kidding.... I'm curious to see as well!

Anyways... this could be interesting :) Good luck!

8. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

US Plastics (do a google search). I got mine locally from a place called S&W Plastics... expensive stuff...

Check out Baby Bliss and you can get an idea of what you are up when trying to modify and work with others ideas. I saw bliss unleashed some time ago and said that I can do a case based on that interpretation in my own style with a cheep case and not in a normal chieftec... with many of my own ideas... check it out...

Good luck with your project, it would be good... how about a plexi ammo case... I was thinking about something like that...

9. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I'm picturing an ammo box but when you take it out of there there's this glowing green white and chrome thing.

Needless to say I'm hard pressed to picture it as you do, so impress me :D

10. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

As long you're not being a plagiarist and give credit and ask permission first I'm sure they (and I) would have no objection.

11. Father-Time

Father-Time Minimodder

Two of the best cases out in "modland and you want to incorporate some of their ideas :duh: :duh: :duh:

Hell yeah i would support, what better way to show your appreciation fro two great modders :clap:

FT

12. Tt Ownage

Tt Ownage What's a Dremel?

orac = acrylic and ammo is ammobox...

i dunno how that's going to work..

but ok

lol

13. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

Personally i'd feel honoured if somebody wanted to use some ideas from one of my projects.

But on the other hand if they didnt ask my permission first i'd hunt them down and make sure they know to ask next time. :worried:

14. Le Tordu

Le Tordu What's a Dremel?

I think you should first ask them before strating your work !

But if it is not just a copy I suppose it'l be OK... :thumb:

15. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

If you are combining ideas from other peoples cases you are not coping anything, and I am sure you will be adding your own personal ideas along the way. That is what just about everyone does, use ideas you like from other cases and incorporate them into a new design. When I started my project BLUE_MONDAY I jokingly called it a "orac knockoff" and got some flack even though they are quite different. So I think you are doing the right thing by giving us a "heads-up". This is just my opinion, but I think then someone like G-gnome writes a almost step-by-step article on building a great looking case, I don't think it was writen to say "look at what I can do", but instead to fuel the imagination of bit-tech readers. MS

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jeffrey9-IMG_0398.jpg

16. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I think its certanly nice to cite sources of inspiration but unless your trying to do a blatant knock off or trying to lazily create a good looking case, there's no issue here. If I asked permission for all the guys in this forum I borrowed Ideas for or took design notes from; I would hafta email half the people with project logs.