1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Shiny LL PC6070

Discussion in 'Modding' started by indigo_prime, 25 Mar 2004.

1. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

Nice job :thumb:

2. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Its carbon, i think that most of it is the vinal stuff, but i cant be sure.

3. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

I know you said that you don't need to have a window etc, but the continuing of the aluminium theme inside looks good and is a shame that it is hidden from view.
    You could add a small window or cut holes in the side panel were those twin fans are located near the graphics card to allow airflow.

just a thought.

4. indigo_prime

indigo_prime What's a Dremel?

Yes, the top and bottom parts of the door are plastic that looks like carbon. They are part of the case itself. The rest of the front was done using a carbon effect vinyl from a car detailing shop. It took a little time and patience to make sure there were no bubbles but it went on well.

5. indigo_prime

I've got some thought on a design rather than a straight forward window but I dont know if I should do it on this one, or save it for the next project. I should be getting a rather hefty chunk of change sometime early in July, but Im also due to be posted again (I'm a UK Army Sgt and always on the move it seems!!) which would mean putting off any more projects until later in the year.

I suppose I could use it to practice but it would be such a shame to screw it up!! I was thinking of a round ended rectangluar shaped intake for the side fans with aluminium mesh grill, but would somehow have to incorporate it into the 'windowed/see through' part of the case. It'll be a bitch measuring it up and making sure its in the right spot too!!

6. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

The mesh grill would probably have to go on the inside of the side case in front of the fans. Need careful measurement of were the fans are in the case to allow a nice perfect window that is set the same place as the twin fans.

7. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Looks to me like an oversized toaster, but in a very cool way :thumb:

8. DeViLSpArK

DeViLSpArK What's a Dremel?

:eeek: i like it ...
    NICE :rock:

9. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

I feel... Inspired!
    *runs off to make toast*

Nice job :thumb:

10. LsdBoy

LsdBoy What's a Dremel?

Nice! :baby: But do you know if you can do the same thing on a lian li pc65 B????( the black version) Do you get the same finish????

11. indigo_prime

Was sure I posted a reply to this earlier!!

It will be one hell of a job to get all the black anodising material off the case before you can even get started on the polishing. Im sure that if you google around a little you will be able to find something about removing anodised material from metal.

Although I would have much preferred in the beginning to have my case in black, in hindsight it saved me a lot of work having the stock aluminium one.

Next time I do something like this I think I'll be paying to have it chromed properly, that way I can be sure of a perfect finish on all the panels.

12. kevplus2

kevplus2 What's a Dremel?

sanding is basically the only way to remove anodizing. there may be some professional grade stuff out there but the price would probably drive it out of reach. actually, removing the black anodizing would take the same effort as this case did. they are both anodized, just one is black and one is gray (well, at least my pc60 was anodized gray)

13. Le Tordu

Le Tordu What's a Dremel?

Woow :jawdrop:

How long did it take to sand the case ??

How many sanding elbows ? :geek:

14. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Great work there man...your right..it doesn't have to light up the room to be a mod....excellent...

Nice job on the sleeving also...very clean...

Man...I hated all the sanding that came along w/ me working on my PSU...and that is a 1/4 of the size of your case...must have taken awhile...one of those things you put a movie on for...lol

15. indigo_prime

The sanding took over 40 hours altogether over the space of a couple of weeks in the summer. There are also about 8 hours worth of polishing, and I give it another good polish every couple of weeks.

I got a tip from another modder about using jewellers rouge to get a better finish on it so will be ordering that once the nice weather gets here again and I have time to sit in the garden to work.

16. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

HOLY **** MAN!!!!!!!!! thats so ****ing sweet :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: did u polished it? and waxed?

17. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

I tried the jewellers rouge...I didn't see a diff than the reg. polishing compound...it comes as a hard stick of brown....<shrug>...you have to either apply it to the buffer...or..well..it doesn't work to apply it to the metal...it really wasn't worth the effort...I found the polish to be of the same quality and less of a hassle...

that rouge slings everwhere when you try to apply it to the buffer...cakes over everything...

You may get better results than I..I'm sure the metal on your case is far superior than what a PSU is made out of...

good luck...