1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows keyboard and mouse trouble...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Da_BaCoN, 29 Mar 2004.

1. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

recently i've been having trouble with my keyboard and mouse whenever windows first boots. (i have a logitech corded elite keyboard and mx500 mouse) when windows loads, neither work - i have to unplug them from the usb ports, then plug them in again. after this, they work fine, but it bugs the crap out of me having to do this everytime i turn on my pc. i've uninstalled the drivers and logitech's software and it still does it. i don't even know what's causing this - it just started doing it one day. any ideas?

2. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

cold boot or resuming from standby/hibernate?

my ms trackball (usb) hangs about 25% of the time resuming from s3 standby ... but i plug it in the front of my case so its really no biggie to just pull it out n stik it back in...

and did you check the bios setting for usb legacy support? if that isnt enabled the keyboard wont initialize at all till windows starts ...

3. MadD_b0mBeR

MadD_b0mBeR What's a Dremel?

when windows crashes my cordless optical desktop MX keyboard refuses to work. Irritating since i have my MoBo set to halt on keyboard errors.

My only work around so far is to plug my old PS2 keyboard in, boot windows, then un-plug it. I guess i could remove the error halt :hehe:

Seems to me, that windows doesnt 'shut-down' the USB ports when it dies a painful death. And the keyboards dont send an 'initialise' signal, as they dont think the power has ever been off! Just my guess anyway, wonder how accurate i am :thumb:

*edit* god damn bacon! thats a nice desktop! :rock: :rock:

4. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

ive got this problem with my usb 7 in 1 card reader, i think its something to do with the usb setup in the bios. If youve got usb 2.0 enabled and arn't using it try and disable it and see if that helps.

5. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I have a problem with my Intellimouse Explorer on Windows 2000 Pro.
    It will not be automatically picked up by Windows if it's plugged into one of the 'expansion bracket' USB ports. I have to have it plugged into one of the onboard USB ports near the PS2 ports for it to work at all.

It also won't work when certain other USB devices are plugged into the same pair of USB ports near the PS2 ports.

For example at the moment I have the mouse & a webcam using those 2 ports near the PS2 ones, if I were to plug my Ipaq docking station in the webcams place then the mouse won't work on boot-up.

I haven't spent time to investigate why this happens, but hope some of this is helpfull :)

EDIT : another thing you should check is the BIOS settings, make sure USB keyboard / USB Legacy / etc are all enabled.

6. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

which one? i've got a couple of them :D :rock:

anyways, it only happens from a cold boot - it works fine from standby. i really think it's something with windows cause when the pc first comes on, the numlock led lights up, as does the led for the mouse, and i can use my keyboard in my BIOS. it's only after the Windows loading screen goes off (when i first see my desktop) that the two devices' leds go off and stop reacting.
    it's bugging me cause it's been working for the past 4 months i've had this pc running until just a few days ago it started doing this :confused:

7. MadD_b0mBeR

MadD_b0mBeR What's a Dremel?

it goes off AFTER windows?? that sounds for certain like a driver issue.

(and yeah, most USB keyboards n mice need to be plugged in on the ones neer the PS2 sockets, as for some reason these are normaly the only ones that are probed on bootup)

8. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

ok, well they're plugged into those two usb ports. how can i go about making sure that the drivers are completely removed and reinstalled? cause i've gone into windows' device manager and done it that way, but i still get the same problems. any ideas?

9. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I think you have them uninstalled all right.

hmmm... I can plug my mouse in werever I like, and my BIOS detects the USB mouse, as well as any USB removable media. Have you tried different USB ports?
    If that doesn't work, then a reload should work alright. otherwise, I would just live with it.
    You could also see if the keyboard/mouse do this on friends computers, or try their USB keyboard/mouse on yours.

Tags: