1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New Case - Need some modding ideas?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BigDook, 21 Sep 2002.

1. BigDook

BigDook What's a Dremel?

Hi folks, thought i'd post up some photos of my new case. It's from ThermalTake and is basically a Chieftan Scorpio but modded. Comes with a large side window, 5x 80mm case fans (2 @ back blowing out, 2 @ front sucking in and another on the side sucking in), a unit @ the top of the drive bays containing a Fan Speed Controller, Temp guage, with lead inside to sense temp from where you put it inside the case, and a firewire and usb sockets. OH!, and a blue power LED that has given me a sun-tan it's so bright!

I think it's a real nice case, and gives me a head start for modding coz it's already been attacked :) And i have LOADS of ideas for further mods etc, but would love to know any ideas other people could suggest. I've already spray-painted my DVDROM drive cover black, and am gonna pick-up some BLUE LEDS to replace the bog standard green ones tommorow.

Heres some pics, gimme some ideas folks.........i'm new to modding, but i can see this becoming VERY addictive and VERY expensive :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

hmm..pics aren't working for me :(

3. BigDook

BigDook What's a Dremel?

4. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

I think you should make the front glow (insert your fav color here)

5. BigDook

BigDook What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of 2 options for that (dunno if they would work, or how expensive it'd be)

1. Replace the slab of metal @ the top behind the X with a piece of clear perspex, and have some blue LEDS hidden in the middle (behind that X), to make it glow.

2. Have some sort of array of LEDS behind the bottom grill, which would wave up and down in a knight-rider stylee

6. y2rock

y2rock What's a Dremel?

Great case, love both ideas and think you should use both, but don't take this personal but I can't stand the yellow fans, are they UV reactive or something?

7. BigDook

BigDook What's a Dremel?

I know......those fans are ugly....but they are standard, and are doing a top job of keeping my system cool. Dunno if they glow, but i wanna get those clear fans with blue leds in the casing instead, gonna order 1 today, and see wot it looks like

8. D3mon

D3mon What's a Dremel?

a little cable tidying wouldn't go amiss..
    I've just braided all th leads on my enermax was a pain and took me ages along with about 3 metres of braid but looks real nice now..
    next up will prolly be rounding all ribbon cables
    must either get a new scanner or digicam

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Cut out the fan grills on the back and put in some nicer ones... Wire or laser-cut ones.

Cut (oh yeah hack it up :D) out the X on the front a sling in LED-lit perspex for funky glow.

10. BigDook

BigDook What's a Dremel?

Yeah was definatly thinking of cutting out the square grills where the fans are. and replace with some nice wire versions.

If i cut out those standard grills, and basically make the holes a full opening, will it decrease the noise by the fans as it doesn't have to blow thru/past any metal?

See = http://www.geocities.com/bigdook/MVC-455F.JPG for the grills i mean

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Slightly quiter but its not a dramatic dfifference... if you wanna shut you case up its the PSU fan(s) that make the most noise.

Leaving them as full openings wouldn't be a good idea cos anything could get inside and potentially wreck then fan. Id put a simple wire grill on, both for safety and because they do actually look better.

12. bAnTAi

bAnTAi What's a Dremel?

neon string in front of the grill:hip:

13. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

aaaaaaaaaargggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THOSE "BROWN" FANS QUICK THROW THEM AWAY AND GET SOME NICE SHINY AKASA LED ONES.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:wallbash: :wallbash: :duh: :duh: :wallbash: :wallbash:

14. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

neh dont buy LED fans
    MAKE THEM! :rock: :rock:

15. kevplus2

kevplus2 What's a Dremel?

why thermaltake insists on using those orange fans for everything is beyond me. maybe b/c they are the only ones you think "thermaltake" when you see the ugly arse things

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Site is down, also i only see x's

17. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

hmm i'm supprised this xaser hasn't been bashed by abuse by now and i've got the same case just not with the window and what i did was (get ready for the mega ghetto mod) wrap the front red metal slab (behind the black X) in aluminium foil (it looks good i assure you) i can post pix if wanted and put 2 blue led fans in the front and they shine through the grill on the front

edit: i also spraypainted the inside of it black and that looks very cool when you do the cages for the drives and support bar and things silver (i did silver cause of the tin foil and i painted the zig-zag on the side silver (not on window version))

Last edited: 31 Mar 2004