1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding HTPC design help please!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BadKarma, 1 Apr 2004.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma What's a Dremel?

So i am planing on building a htpc with a via cl1000 mobo, 256 pc2100, 160 gig, slim slot loading dvd drive, and a tv tuner card. The cl motherboard has 2 nic's and no tv out so i need some sort of pci board that can do video in and video out and is a tv tuner. I want to use this like a tivo or at least just a digital vcr. I plan on connecting an Ir reciever to the motherboard to control everything and a lcd or vfd to show some basic info.

so here is what i need help with
    1. the devices i am using are a 160 gig hdd, slim dvd drive, mobo, tv tuner card, lcd, and 2 40mm fans. i was hoping on using a mini 60w psu but will this be enough to power everything? if not then i would have to get like a 1u psu i thnk?

2. i need to be able to record video from a tv tuner or from video in, and i also need the video card to display video back out so i can see everything on the tv. what card should i get and from where?

2. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Damn, you need more than one PCI slot lol

I'd just go with a Micro ATX board and processor combo, about the same price.

3. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350. :thumb:

4. kevplus2

kevplus2 What's a Dremel?

leadtek makes a tv card that would fit your needs,

as far as power i think you would be pushing it. how about a 250 (or even a 200) watt micro atx psu?

5. planki

planki ...

may i ask why you are using the cl and not the m10000 which has built in tv out as i cannot see why you would need 2 lan ports for a htpc?

6. BadKarma

I got a really good deal on the cl moddel and it might also end up being a gateway for the internet to the rest of the house so i can serve movies and music inside and out.

I did find a tiny server style psu that is about as high as the mobo and a little longer and only as wide as the power plug that connects to it. it puts out 150 watts i think so i aam hopeing that will be enough power.

i still need the laptop slim slotloading dvd drive... anyone know where i can get one?

7. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

LG 8x DVD-ROM. Considering they're usually much more expensive than that, it's a steal.

8. BadKarma

I Know Zap Wizard modded his ati aiw card to have ports built in instead of using the adapter cables. i can get a 16mb aiw on e bay that has none of the cables for a good price and since i dont need the cables it works out, so i have 2?'s

is the pinout the same for all the aiw cards because the plugs look the same?

i am using this to play dvd's and video, and recordig video to the hdd. is 16 fine since i am not playing games and only displaying it on a tv?

9. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The Epia series of motherboards can run on as little as 55 watts for the the earliest models (using only laptop drives). The rest need only 95w total.

I'm currently running a Mini-ITX P4 2.4ghz w/ laptop drives on only 125w

And that is a good deal on a new laptop DVD-ROM. If you want a better deal try searching eBay by model number. Slot loading drives are very rare so they'll fetch a higher price tag no matter where you look. You'd effectively be looking at $75+ thanks to them only being made by one manufacturer.