1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Uses for old HDD's

Discussion in 'Modding' started by _rahoul, 5 Apr 2004.

1. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

<1st ever post> I just found an old Fujitsu 900 meg HDD in the garage and promptly took of the top. Its pretty sexy looking with 4 platters etc. I plugged it into the External molex on my Antec Truepower PSU to see if it works.

The read/write needle-deely looks moves around and looks pretty cool. I was thinkin i could mount it on the wall and connect it to the rear molex for some tech-y art deco.

any other ideas? ( i saw Zapwizards mod for a Activity Indicator but thats too much for me)</1st ever post>

2. Dogg

Dogg What's a Dremel?

Well, for art deco i guess that would be pretty cool. Maybe if you try to light it or something (just find 5v lead) make it look really spiffy... just don't think you'll ever get it to work again :hehe:

3. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

I think you can make the heads move too... I think Zap made a circuit to use a real HDD as an activity indicator...

Edit: me stupid! I wanted to say that Zap circuit is not so difficult to build if you just know how to hold a soldering iron... :read: :wallbash:

4. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

If you want to google the term "hdd speaker." They work surprisingly well.

5. ajack

ajack rox

I took the tops off 5 hdds today and mounted them on the wall, theyre so shiiiiiny :D </magpie>.

It's quite cool to watch the head moving so fast :)

6. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the forums, if you ever plan on using that hard drive for its actual use, I'd suggest keeping the top on it until you are sure of what you want to do, a little bit of dust can f*** up the whole drive...

7. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

yea im thinkin wat i'll do is make a nice box and mount in above my pc on the wall and fab a long molex cable and hook it up to the rear molex on the PSU.

Zapwizards hdd indicator mod is a bit hardcore for me, as i just started learning about soldering etc. But i mite chuck a blue LED next to the r/w arm, that'l look pretty cool. If i ever do it i'll post it. :thumb: