1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STellY's Newest Mid-Tower Project - UPDATE FINALLY! - 6/14

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by STellY, 31 Mar 2004.

1. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

keep modding! :clap:

2. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Looks great so far Stelly, I like that front grille work as it looks like a real clean job after that bondo work. I'd have my LCD here today if my girlfriend wasn't out drying the clothes when Fedex came. :wallbash:

3. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot.... my friend had a great idea for the front mesh.... so i did a little thinking and i have an idea kinda like his that might be pretty sweet.... stay tuned for it :p

as for the window and molding.... it all really depends... i like windows without molding too... the edges are pretty smooth right now its just that the bar running through the middle is just a tad bit off... and molding gets rid of it...

its really not very noticable however i will think about what you said and take a look at it with both molding and not.... however the look of it with molding is starting to grow on me. I got my acrylic in so i guess its onto that and a few other mods tonight....

thanks for all the comments again guys

4. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

well last update for tonight....(i promise) i went over with some bondo and sanding for the front mesh another time....

[​IMG]

after sanding:

[​IMG]

i believe i will have atleast one other pass before it is ready for color

5. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I've been gone for a few days and this is what I missed? Darn... looking sweet bro!

6. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

tell me thats not gutter guard on the front grill, i picked up like 3 of those for my mod :D

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

seriously good looking work - very professional.
    ( + what fred said.)

8. Sinix

Sinix What's a Dremel?

Looks good, can't wait for more updates.

Is that generic modders mesh, or did you find that somewhere else?

9. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

wow, this is looking like its all done straight from the factory, almost perfect in a way, hopfully it continues to go as good as has been.

10. BlueMax

BlueMax What's a Dremel?

That is a darn good window(s) cut. I love the design. Very original. :rock:

11. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

i got it from bill (mnpctech) a bit ago....

@ valium: i suppose it could be use as gutter guard however it is just stamped metal/mesh.... you can get it at various hardware stores and mnpctech.com

@ everyone else: thanks for all of the positive comments, it really helps :thumb:

now onto the update:

well i got a few things done....

just did a simple outline of my window

[​IMG]

then cut where needed:

[​IMG]

then i had an idea on how to tackle the radiator mounting.... i needed glue, wire, and these nuts (used for something else)

[​IMG]

i picked spots just outside the radiator (harder than in looks when you barely have a cm on each sode for the PSU and the drive cages.... then glued them into place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now onto the side panel.... i bondoed all of the vent slits on the bottom left and then got ready to cut out the fan blowhole....

[​IMG]

i dremeled the hole (80mm) out.... i couldnt use the holesaw or anything because i thought it might ruin all of the bondo work... (that small imperfection you see in the bottom left is from a weak bondo fill on one of the vents that the dremel knocked out :(

[​IMG]

and to finish up the update.... the front panel....

im still not happy with this at all... but i believe i know how to get it perfect for the next pass....

anyway i primered it and it came out like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there are some imperfections on the 3.5 bay portion that with some simple sanding and over layers of paint will get taken away....

and then on the mesh portion there are still some minor imperfections but what you are seeing on the bottom is just the bondo seeing through the primer....

tell me what you think

Last edited: 2 Apr 2004
  12. GNU rider

GNU rider What's a Dremel?

lookin damn good stelly! keep up the good work

<- Subscribed :thumb:

13. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Still getting better I see...

*subscribed*

14. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

the case is looking good i was woundering if there was anywhere in the uk that sold these cases as i need 2 of them that are simillar to yours.

Richman

15. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

its a standard enlight tower.... im not to keen on UK sites as im in the US but im sure you will be able to find some

16. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

any updates stelly?

17. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

sorry guys, nothin much lately.... i had to work the weekend and schools back up so i havnt had too much chance to do work....

i just got some parts in from MPS (auto shop) though they were the wrong parts and im not sure if i can use them....

i have to cut the panel and then cut out a blowhole for the rad, and i will be ready to do a full-out test fit... if i dont get on it during the week, it will be done over the weekend....

since the last update all ive done is some work on the control panel for the top....

18. sqaulidhummer

sqaulidhummer What's a Dremel?

sweet , realy nice , keep on modding ;)

19. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

ok SORRY FOR THE WAIT!!!

i have been busy with sports, school, and what not.... and had to put the project on hold for a few months...

its summer now and i am slowly working on it more...

PAINTING:

ok, well... i wetsanded the front bezel.... got it to a perfect nice smooth finish... then ruined it by painting it lol...

no i didnt ruin it but it just so happens it was about 100 degrees when i painted it and the paint nearly dried in the air... so the primer felt very rough...

nothing some wetsanding will not fix though...

i will wetsand it, then either paint color or another layer of primer...

here is a picture of it primed:
    [​IMG]

its not perfect though it looks pretty good in that picture... hopefully it will look great with color....

now there has been a few electrical things i have been doing, here is one of them.... using this bit-tech guide: http://bit-tech.net/article/52/

Got out all of my electrical stuff :p

[​IMG]

Half-way done:

[​IMG]

Done:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok so that is one of the things im doing, it is going to go into this:

[​IMG]

on this:

[​IMG]

on this panel i am going to have switches for fan speeds (side, rear, and radiator fan) lights, front lights (more later hehe), and the on/off switch (still deciding some things about this)

i plugged the rheo in and it works flawlessly, pretty happy with it...
    here is the switch layout:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    '
    I also cut the radiator blowhole and sanded the top panel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok... i am goign to do a bit more of wetsanding next, and hopefully we can pull out a kickass black paintjob on this case... then i will be contemplating LCD mounting (my plans might have changed, but i am not totally sure yet)

sorry for the wait, but this should be getting done sooner than you think... hopefully these last parts will go smoothly (though there is still a lot)

thanks for waiting :) (btw, i know every1 is lookin at the orac article, so this is probably a bad day to post an update :p oh well)

20. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

Looking good.