1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmeta CPU Laptops?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loply, 6 Apr 2004.

1. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Jusdt wondering if the ECS Transmeta laptops such as A907 are any good?

1 "gigapro" Crusoe CPU, 256 ram, very cheap - £390 or so new. But how do they run XP for simple office/browsing use?

2. olv

olv he's so bright

linkage? 'gigapro' cracks me up lol

3. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They are software/hardware cpus, dont expect stonking performance by anymeans.

5. silicond17

silicond17 What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't run Windows XP on that, but I'm sure it's capable of surfing the internet and other easy-going apps running Windows 2000 or 9x.

6. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Im not sure I would go that far but they are generally DOGS. Capable of general office type applications - but at reduced performance compared to other processors. Getting something with a decent P3 would be an upgrade.

7. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

well a mate of mine has a 1gig i-buddie (rofl at the name) and i have to say initially i was dissapointed with the performance. It will be similar to a pentium 400 ish. However its running win2k, has a fair ammount onboard (allthough no PCMCIA slots which is a disapointment) and is really stable. When its at home his wife uses it mostly for browsing and similar and it goes away with them on holiday to play music and video. It can play divx's etc to a reasonable quality (even has svhs out) but it will take a bit of tweaking to get perfectly smooth.

All in all its pretty good as long as you dont expect too much of it. IMO you'd be better off buying a second hand lappie for the same money, you'd probably get better performance but it will be alot heavier (if thats an issue).