1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Fan adapter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mit_eclipse_01, 7 Apr 2004.

1. mit_eclipse_01

mit_eclipse_01 Banned

I was thinking about ordering a 60mm-80mm fan adapter, and getting a 80mm LED fan to mount to my heatsink. I have the 60mm that came with it on there right now. Question is. The new fan is 32cfm... I am sure my 60mm isn't pushing near that. Would putting in the 80mm fan and adapter make my temps lower? I figure it will, just not for sure. I also figured since the 60mm fan is directly on the heatsink, the center is not getting much airflow do to the fans design. So with the adapter giving space in between heatsink and fan, it should get nice airflow to the whole heatsink... Just didn't want to spend the 15 bucks on it all if not worth the hassle. I also think it will look a lot nicer with an 80mm on there.

Paul

P.S. This is my first post... :p NEWBIE here

2. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Hello and welcome to the forums.

The bigger fan and fan adapter will make a difference in your temps because heat is being removed from the heatsink faster. As for the actual delta temperature change, that would be up to other factors. You are right that the center of the heatsink, where the fan motor hovers above, does not get much change in air. The shroud will help the air disperse itself to fill the gap between.

As long as the fan pushes more air then you will see a difference or if you could push the same amount of air and have a more quiet computer.

3. mit_eclipse_01

mit_eclipse_01 Banned

Cool. Thanks... I think I will order tonight... :)

Paul

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Welcome to the forums! Be careful how you go though- spend too long on them and you'll get addicted and spend half your net life on them. People to look out for are ZapWizard, G-gnome (when he's around)...

5. mit_eclipse_01

mit_eclipse_01 Banned

I have been reading for a few days now. I just modded my PC a month or so ago. Will post pic when i get a chance. Just want to do a few more things. Getting ideas. The PC's i seen on here are amazing.. Some smart people on here. I just thinkg of what i can do to make it look nice, run better, and not break it.... About what my jist is.. Thanks for hospitality...

Paul

6. kh15

kh15 What's a Dremel?

dont do it the 80mm fan doesnt help at all my 60mm made my cpu cool than my 80mm

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

depends on the fan. different 80mm fans push different amounts of air, and at different pressure levels.

if you replace a 7000rpm/40cfm/60mm fan with a 2500rpm/28cfm/80mm fan, you are going to definately lose cooling power.

on the other hand, replacing a 2500rpm/20cfm/60mm with the same 80mm as mentioned above, not only will you cool more, you will do it more quietly.

mit_eclipse_01, i recommend using the adaptor ... it really helps bring noise levels down and usually works as well as the stock cooler if not better.

i used an antec 80mm led fan, an akasa aluminum 60-80 adaptor,a volcano6+cu(minus 7000rpm screaming loud jet engine fan), and an air duct to cool my fiancee's xp1800+, and it is barely audible over the tv. temps are comparable to the stock athlon xp hsf, and a bit quieter to boot.

http://mikegetz.com/img/stealthblowhole.jpg <-- no side panel

http://mikegetz.com/img/two.jpg <-- fan visible thru duct