1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Vintage Oscilloscope @ the Rummage Sale

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Red Nose Sam, 10 Apr 2004.

1. Red Nose Sam

Red Nose Sam What's a Dremel?

Hello all. I am (of course) new to this forum....On to the question....

I got this guy last weekend for $3. It's roughly the size of medium AT-style case. I saw it and man, I just knew it could be something! I've got a few ideas, but I'd love to hear opinions/suggestions about this. Anyway, if I posted in the wrong place, my apologies....

Thanks,

RNS

PS - If I didn't get the picture on here right, then it should be down below eventually....
    [​IMG]

2. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

At $3, that's a must buy! Awsome find!

3. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

***Welcome to the forums***

I think you should try to build a small form factor case into it and then make that graph read out the energy pulses or something of the processor.

or give it to ZapWizard and see what he does with it . . .

4. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

Hey, he just spent a whole $3 on it! And you think he's just going to give it away?! :D

5. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Hello and welcome to the forums. That is quite a find you have there; does it work?

6. Red Nose Sam

No, it does not. I was able to salvage some of the tubes out of it. May put them on e-bay. But the cathode is shot and who ever had it before must've tried doing some wiring on it....

RNS

7. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

ok well i have about 12 of these (my dads an electrician and gave me all his old gear) so if anyone has any idea's the let me know as these dont make very good soccer balls

8. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

I see so much modding potential, that if you dont do it soon Im gonna go find one on Ebay and do my own..........

9. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Oh that stinks, but at least you have the casing. The tubes are worth some money when they are on e-bay. You may even get ten times your money back. :D

Good luck with whatever you are going to do with it.

10. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Hate to sound like a noob, but what exactly is a Oscilloscope anyway? :worried:

11. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

There are so many knobs on the front; are you going to keep them?

12. Twilighted

Twilighted What's a Dremel?

An LCD behind the glass would look very sleek (assuming the glass can be washed and doesnt distort the image too terribly). A PSOne LCD would kick ass, displaying visualizations and such.

13. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

it measures electronic pulses and such like. and the readout looks somewhat like the readout on a heart rate moniter.

14. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

It's a device used to measure waveforms of circuits, displaying the output so the voltage, phase angle, timing, etc. of a circuit can be measured.

Very nice find, shame it doesn't work though, a vintage oscilloscope would be fantastic to have, not to mention useful, those puppies go for $10,000 more than I can afford. :waah:

15. Red Nose Sam

Yeah, absolutely...I just want each one to function. That will probably be the hardest part. I don't want a bunch of fan controllers. That seems like an easy way out.

I am wanting to do an LCD behind the grid. The cool thing about the grid is it has a light to light up the gridwork. Good place for a nice bright LED.

Anyway, the buttons are my biggest obstacle!

16. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

...and where are you considering putting drives? That may be a bit of a problem.

Though, I have an idea in my mind that you might like. I used to have a TV with a font control panel that flipped out in the front, maybe something like that in the top?
    Clicky click