1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Which C++ compiler is better: Borland or DevC++

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dorza, 12 Apr 2004.

1. Dorza

Dorza What's a Dremel?

As title please. Ive used Borland in the past but id like to know if i shoudl use Dev. Alot of the books ive used tend to mention this more than the borland one. so i was wondering if this is now better than borland? Any ideas

2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

the borland one is notoriusly bug ridden, avoid it like the plauge.
    MSVC6 is probably the best one for windows platform.

3. Ravid Flux

Ravid Flux What's a Dremel?

MSVC6 and the complete Platform SDK is documented in EXTREME detail and accessible online for free at http://msdn.microsoft.com (just the documentation is free of course).

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

have any ofyou used DJGPP before ? i recently installed that but havent had a chance to use it yet.

I agree that VC++ Is a seemingly good compiler, ive never had any problems with it before, except its bigness in size :p and in price! but it seems to work relatively well.

5. Ravid Flux

Ravid Flux What's a Dremel?

I've only used DJGPP for 32-bit DOS applications.

Another choice is GCC via Cygwin... the bonus being it wouldn't taken much to be compatible with both *nix and Windows. It's a whole different dev. platform, though. I never really liked MFC anyway.

If you want to be hardcore the Intel compilers really rock, nobody can touch their ability to optimize for Intel CPU's (for obvious reasons). They cost alot more than MSVC and I'm not even sure if they make Windows versions, though.

Cheers!

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

MSVC6 licesnsed so much from intel labs optermizor, but remeber with optermizors its very dated (the whole P4 mk1, taking longer to barallel shift than multiply!!!).

7. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

At work we use MSVC.NET 2003 I'm a big fan of it, it adds so much to VC6