1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 14 Apr 2004.

1. Relin

Relin Old timer

Ok, if you ask really nicely ill see wot i can do.......... :D

Nice review by the way.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

lol :p

Last edited: 15 Apr 2004
  3. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Anyone seen a review that talks about the 6800s mpeg encoding function? This might tempt me into buying one if its good.

4. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Glad I didn't get the 9800XT and waited for the next leap in cards. Can't wait to see what ATI release as competition :rock:

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

What about hi res pics of the babes? :naughty:

6. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I'm sure that will follow, once people get longer-term samples to test - the were so few boards to go around, many only had a few hours in which to get their performance testing done :blah:

7. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

As for the X800 leaked "specs" - read them in one of two ways:

1) Accurate: this thing should 0wn a 6800U, and therefore be about 3 times faster than R9800

2) Disinformation: if R420 actually suX0rs, then this kind of disinformation works wonders to get people thinking ATI rather than NVIDIA...

I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks!

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

LOL :hehe: :p

Rabid ATI fanboyism is a scary thing indeed :D

9. Vochraye

Vochraye What's a Dremel?

2 new chipsets AND 2 interfaces...

It would appear that you will soon have a need for bigger graphs.

I can’t wait to see how a PCI Express version fares against an AGP of the same type.

10. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

hehe, so true.

i was called an Nvidia fanboy for laughing at the people who have recently just bought 9800XTs. i think im quite entitled to laugh, i hardly claimed the ATI alternative would suck. but i suppose if your not with the fanboy heard, your conspiring with the enemy :rolleyes:

i just want to find out what will give me the best bang for my buck, although i am happy ATI fanboys got 0wnd, however short lived it may be. :D :hehe:

11. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

wow, get out more :thumb:

:p

'doc

12. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Its quite an amazing jump in graphics card performance but to see if this card is top dog we will have to wait for the r420. As there is nothing to compair with it yet its not fair.

The prices for the XT better be the same as the Ultra :rock:

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I think you dont want to think that, as that would be problematic for ATI.
    When ATI releases the R420, they are likely to call it something like the "Radeon x800," followed a short time later by the "Radeon x800 Pro," which is essentially a speedbumped version of that card. About 3 months after this, they will probably release the R425, and call the card the "Radeon x800 XT;" this is as far as I know pretty much what happened with the 9800 series, and it worked fantastically for ATI. It seems likely that they would do things the same way again. But if after approximately nine months ATI still is selling the XT for the same price as the 9 months old 6800 Ultra, ATI is in deep trouble. :p

14. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Well apparently they are releasing all at once, obviously this is all just rumors. They are going to call the 16 pipe card the xt and the pro the 12 pipe card, the lower end se being 8 pipes i believe.

Wether or not they have changed tactics due to nvidia bringing out the 16 pipeline card is not known. But rumors also said they were only going to release a 12 pipeline card at first as a pro, but now obviously the talk of the xt straight away.

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I thought I had read previously that they were going to cal the 16 pipeline version the "Nitro" Radeon X800? :confused: Do you have confirmation on them calling it XT instead? Man, ATI had better follow their Slogan and "get in the game," before nVidia beats them in the market. ATI's silence means something, the question is what? With the new specs of the Nvidia card available to the public, it could mean that they are desperately looking for a way to improve their performance. Then again, it just might be that they are trying to build suspense. Thanks to nVidia's bad year, they actually are generating suspense instead of anticipation. Personally, I think the real reason they are staying out of official announcements is because they cant quite compare with nVidia yet; Remember an earlier quote that "10000 in 3D mark 2003 would be a dream?" Looks like ATI might be in trouble. If they arent even up to 10,000, Nvidia is going to whoop them upwards and downwards.

16. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

I'm fairly sure the 12 pipline is going to be the Radeon X800 and the 16 X800xt, I think N'vidia means to reclaim it's pride after the somewhat unsuccsessful FX launch.

17. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Slightly unsuccesful launch? :eyebrow: ATI has completely dominated over the competition for the last year and a half. Now that they've had their turn in the spotlight (much to NVIDIA's Dismay) I think that ATI has been owned.

18. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

Finally a nice gaming card with dual DVI! Wow, look at those 3D mark 2003 scores! :jawdrop: Now I'm thinking about that second TFT again...

19. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

**Me Kills Der Me!$ter for being able to AFFORD such things and steals his money :D**

Im only kidding, just so you know :thumb:

20. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Shame DVI is so utterly out of date with only 1600x1200 max res per connection. Strewth that needs replacing ;)

Tags: Add Tags