1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide DigiBus - Software Fan/Lights Controller Guide

Discussion in 'Modding' started by acrimonious, 1 Apr 2004.

1. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Well, considering that computers areloic based, I think He may have a somewhat biased opinion in the matter. I am not sure about if it will damage ccfl or not though. I imagine that the ones with the simple small circuit will be ok. I have one myself, and run it at 9v 24/7 just fine. Although I do not use pwm on the power source, just a simple DC wall wart.

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

- Rounded Form Effect Added (with just two API calls :baby: )
    - Auto Volume Change Done (as your fans get louder/quiter so does your wave volume)

You can strobe the cathodes by just 'speed' controlling them if that's your thang. I doubt it will damage them, what about stip lights, they're just cold cathodes and work at 50Hz, well actually 100Hz if you count both wave peaks. Still to be on the safe side, i'm not going to recommend it. :hip:

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

with just 2 api calls the sandbox dosen't encompas for you :p

4. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

lol, idk if it does, but isn't there sound reactive strobing ccfl

5. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

i know with standard cathods you don't dim via PWM or via a TRIAC.

Most dimmers (for mains lights) use a triac using the AC waveform to switch, most of these will be at 50-60hz depending on where abouts in the world you are. All of these state clearly that you shouldn't use them with cathode lighting and energy saving 'bulbs'.

I've emailed a mate who'll be able to give a definative awnser, only to remeber he is away on holiday, lucky bar staff.

6. Black

Black What's a Dremel?

have a question
    if i connect over devices to lpt port but not to those pins that i connected my digitalbus.Will work all devices?

sorry for my english but i think you understand that i want to say :hip:

7. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Yup, it should still work, but your gonna have to probably make a custom plug. Just buy a parallel port plugh with the tinned pins, shouldn't cost you more then $3. Solder all your connections onto that.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

In a spirit of adventure/more money than sense/delete as applicable I've got a Maplin cheapo ccfl running on this pwm controller. Frequency is around 115Hz. Dims fine down to about 5.5v average, a nice steady uniform blue, below that it goes out.

The 2N2222A switcher is too hot to keep hold of but not boiling spit, ccfl is normal temp.

One comment I've seen is that for good tube life you need a good high voltage strike, so in that respect pwm is better than linear voltage control. You also want a fairly low PWM frequency so there are lots of invertor pulses for each pwm pulse.

edit: After 30min it's boiling spit. Will have to swap to a bigger tranny. :worried:

edit 2: Back in business on this 555 controller at 100Hz, the TO220 TIP31 running cool. :rock:

Last edited: 13 Apr 2004
  9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

indeed you might be right,
    about controling how bright,
    a cold cathode is seen to be
    done by PWM still seams wrong to me
    I think we might conclude
    not wishing to be rather rude
    its shortens the life span
    however you've proved you can.
    still do it anyway
    or rather so you say.

sorry.

10. acrimonious

Cheers for the info, i'll try and get the software to operate at that frequency.

I've included an option in the settings so that you can choose which "engine" you'd like to use for PWM, the faster ones strain the system quite alot more than i would like at the moment but should be able to give about that frequency.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2004
  11. acrimonious

Just saw this...

I was thinking of that but you don't get reliable speed readings from PWM, since the fan is on for a fraction of a second, then off for the next fraction, so unless the fan was at full speed, the readings would be pretty useless :(

12. trit187

trit187 What's a Dremel?

yeah the readings are more annoying then anything, using speedfan and the fans connected to my mb, mbm reads the speeds from 0-11600 on a 2000 rpm fan, and is no way consistant.

13. nees

nees What's a Dremel?

If you use pwm you can't read out the rpm on a fan.

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

According to ERG, unsophisticated linear is a bigger risk. Er...PWM is brisker. :p

15. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

oh well another thing to add on my hate list next for phill (lecturer) along with wanting teh dual channel digital storage oscilloscope back.

16. ratty

ratty What's a Dremel?

right i m a newbie but just wanted to know could u use this to do 2 fans on 1 channel? or would it make them run 2 slow? as i said i m a newbie don't laugh at me to much :p

17. acrimonious

Follow the guide as normal, just connect an extra fan in the exact same way to the same transistor. So you'll have fan's 1 and 2's black wire fan side to the middle leg, fan 1 and 2's black wire connector side to the right leg.

18. trit187

trit187 What's a Dremel?

well you get a reading.. they're just obviously wrong.. due to reasons listed by others... first time i did it mbm fliped out on me until i went i and got rid of all the alarms i had set on my fans

19. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Do you really have to cut up your fans to use these or can you plug it in and run the loop ith an extra piece of wire or will that upset the pwm? I'm not sure whether to use this or the hardware-based fanbus I'm working on. Or maybe I'll control a couple from this just because I can. Or maybe I'l go all digital...

/me walks away muttering to self

-TX297

20. acrimonious

As long as the right leg of the transistor gets connected to 0v and the middle leg gets connected to the fan's 0v wire, it doesn't matter. So no, you don't need to cut up your fans wire to do this :thumb:

Tags: