1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Innovatek Tank-O-Matic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by redhawk, 11 Jan 2004.

1. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

This is my Water Cooling reservoir that has been working for almost a year. I was installing a new hard drive and noticed all the cracks in the acrylic. I was lucky no water was coming out. Not sure what could have happened.

I may have had the lid to tight.

Maybe it was my sub-woofer during a game of Unreal Tournament. :)

This could have been one of the worse disasters if I did not see it when I did. :jawdrop:

I also found out some site sell just the replacement tubes and not the whole reservoir. This was much better for the cost, but makes me wonder if the design has a problem. Humm...

[​IMG]

2. djmassive

djmassive What's a Dremel?

could've been nasty :nono:

shameless +1 post :D

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

If nobodys going to see it, just silicone the $#*& outta it, then use a bit of ducktape. Saves you the trouble and cash of buying a replacement.

4. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

I wish I could have just siliconed it , but it is the center piece of my computer. I had to spend the unwanted cost, and had to spend it fast.

Sometime maintenance cost come at bad times. But a few dollars spent fast saved a big disastrous bill. If it had started spraying water all over the inside.......$$$$$$$ ouch.

[​IMG]

5. Fraggster

Fraggster What's a Dremel?

ive heard those have a problem with cracking, i thought they fixed it tho :eyebrow:

6. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

Last Tank-O-Matic for me!

[​IMG]

I just pulled my 3rd and FINAL Innovatek Tank-O-Matic reservoir. I can not believe these tanks crack this fast and this bad.

I wish there was a way of getting a hold of Innovatek for some sort of explanation to this ongoing problem, and maybe some restitution. Their web site is in a different language.

Has anyone been able to get in contact with Innovatek?

7. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

If i were you i'd get some clear sticky-back-plasic, and put on layer on it, that way even if it shatters into 100 peices it should still be waterproof for long enough for you to save your rig and if you apply it right you wont be able to notice it's there..

8. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

That could have cost you a lot....

It might be a problem with the material, or a seriouse design flaw

But, youre pc looks sweet :thumb: , I need some ideas and start modding mine :dremel: (no water cooling for her though, my next pc will get that privelage.)

Cheers,
    Mike :rock:

9. teme_l

teme_l What's a Dremel?

You just have overthightened gap :D

It's plexiglass, not titanium, so handle it with care. Although it still can be desing mistake, but I know several Tank-O-Matics which work just well after several openings and you have cracked three of them :eyebrow: .

EDIT: innovatek doesn't recommend use of methanol or ethanol (the drinkable alchol) for that tank, because they can make plexiglass much weaker, so check out your antifreezers etc. that they doesn't include those materials! And you can contact Innovatek via email info@innovatek.de in english!

Last edited: 12 Apr 2004
  10. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

I know it was not over tightened. On the 3rd and final one I started with them so loose they leaked ever so slightly. I then tightened just enough to get the tinny leak to stop. Very light pressure.

I have been very lucky and wrote a nice letter to the company I purchased these from. They are a Distributer of Innovatek. They shipped me out a replacement "On the House". :)

I also wanted to say the built in reservoir in my Koolance system has not cracked, and none of the hoses. I also have a water flow that seems to be made out of either plastic or acrylic, and it has not cracked.

I also run my computer 24/7 so the temp is a constant 100 degree Fahrenheit. This eliminate the theory the Acrylic is expanding and contracting.

I will definitely check into the chemicals you talked about. :idea: I am using the Koolance system chemical that came with the system. I will find out if this is the causes or not. You might have the solution. ??

The distributer is forwarding my e-mail and my photos to Innovatek to see what they think. If I hear back from them, I will post their response.

I am currently using another companies acrylic reservoir. This will be a good test to see what happens to it with the same chemicals in the system as the Tank-O-Matic had.

Innovatek has made some great products. I am using their CPU and GPU cooling blocks and love them.

11. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

Koolance constituents, according to the packet I've got in front of me (this is for the pre mixed sachets)

Distilled Water : 95.2%
    Amine : 2.1%
    Molybdate : 0.8%
    Nitrate : 0.7%
    Aromatic Carboxylate : 0.5%
    Phosphate : 0.3%
    Azole : 0.2%

Biological preventative)
    Corrosion Preventative) : 0.2%
    Phosphorescent Dye)

I don't know if that's any use to you, but it would imply a lack of simple organic solvents like ethanol or methanol as they are aliphatic rather than aromatic compunds.

12. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

Thanks Lupine,

Looks like we can now rule out chemicals causing these reservoirs to crack.

Good job on the chemical analyst.

13. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Why not just make your own res. I made mine out of an empty dole peaches bottle. Looks cool, and coast almost nothing, cause it was garbage. lol :rock:

14. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

mhh now surprise. inno is just crap. if you ask anyone at germany they would tell you to buy from another manufactur...and there are a lot to choose from.

15. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

just wondering.. dudes, have any of you noticed the -ol in azole ? isn't that a alcohol?

16. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

I don't think it is.

Azole
    (n.) Any of a large class of compounds characterized by a five-membered ring which contains an atom of nitrogen and at least one other noncarbon atom (nitrogen, oxygen, sulphur). The prefixes furo-, thio, and pyrro- are used to distinguish three subclasses of azoles, which may be regarded as derived respectively from furfuran, thiophene, and pyrrol by replacement of the CH group by nitrogen; as, furo-monazole. Names exactly analogous to those for the azines are also used; as, oxazole, diazole, etc.
    Found above info here

17. Vcdman

Vcdman What's a Dremel?

I dont know about any of you guys, but what the hell did he just say.

18. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

LOL, :hehe: I did not say it. I just did a search on Google.com and posted the findings. It says something other than Alcohol.

19. redhawk

redhawk What's a Dremel?

update

My USA distributer received a reply from Innovatek. Here was my first response back on the problem:

Just heard back from my contact at Innovatek about the cracking acrylic tubes. According to them, the cracks indicate the use of some kind of alcohol or other foreign substance and aren't temperature related. They wanted me to check with you on what fluids/additives are being used...

END of reply

I wrote this back:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long e-mail. I just want to be as actuate as possible.

I have used these products in my system at different times. Each time I also added a few drops of UV Dye

Started off with this first;

Koolance Coolant that came with system. Never notice cracks with this product. But only had this additive for a short time before I needed to drain the system to add other water equipment.

SuperCool (4oz) Have used this chemical many times. info here: http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40 Have used this chemical many times. Can’t tell what the ingredients are from the site.

Since I just received your replacement tube, I drained the system as much as I could, and added this product: Zerex Racing Super Coolant. Info found here: http://store.pcpowerzone.com/zerasuco4ozb.html

I also just researched the product from the manufacturers web site and found this info: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=96

I also the found this PDF for the ingredients. Don’t understand it myself. https://www.valvoline-technology.co...85256ae300727d2b85256bf300726f86?OpenDocument

I sure hope this new coolant doesn’t contain any Alcohol product. I just can’t tell by the PDF file above. The small 4 oz bottle I received does not have any ingredients listed.

Thank you for writing back. Let me know what you think or if you have any more questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will post any response or findings I receive back. It just may have been a chemical after all ???????

20. DeAtH07

DeAtH07 Banned

man that isnt good. i want to get that same res. fir my new upcoming w/c system. Do you think i should just buy a different one?