1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn good system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hacker 8991, 20 Apr 2004.

1. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

blasphemy

it is not out yet. there is no where to buy it. reference copies have been sent to various reviewing peoples (toms hardware, bit-tech, etc), but there is no consumer version avaliable

excuse my spelling :D

2. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You can still build a system with an older graphics card and save for the next generation. Unless you have the I.Q. of a very small gnat spending very large sums of money on equipment that has actually reached the end of its shelf-life is not a good idea.

i.e.

Asus 9800 XT replaced by 6800 Ultra, x800 Pro/XT in weeks.
    Plextor 708A replaced by 712A in a matter of weeks.

Buy cheap temporary items and save your cash to buy the next generation at the start of its lifecycle.

Oh and you want a Silverstone Temjin Nimiz TJ-03 not an Antec P160 ;) A better monitor wouldn't hurt either, maybe an LG 19"?

3. hacker 8991

JADS: that case is butt-ugly...

The problem here, JADS, is that everything in the computer industry is ready to be replaced. I'm sure 8.1 will be rolling around the corner, the FX53 will trump the FX51 that 6800 will trump the 9800XT, that 712A will trump the 708A, a new SATA drive will trump the Raptor, a bigger LCD will come out with less wake, a cooler case will be released, a better wireless combo will come out, a better speaker setup will become available, a new hi-fi headset will be promptly released, and DDR3 memory could destroy DDR. Is the only safe thing the power supply... nope. That will need to be pumped up to 750W to make room for all that new stuff.

Seriously. It has been stated many times in this thread that the system is being built THIS WEEK, and that I am sticking with ATi, I am not going to wait for the FX53, my speakers and soundcard are fine, I didn't even know that the 712A was coming out (I don't even know how much better it is), etc etc etc etc etc. Please. I am only going to say this once more:

ONLY COMMENT ON HARDWARE THAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. ANY REFERENCE TO SOON-TO-BE-RELEASED HARDWARE WILL BE IGRNORED. THIS IS THE LAST TIME!

Last edited: 21 Apr 2004
  4. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Why do you waste our time with this thread if you don't want the answers?

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

5. hacker 8991

oy vey

gooey_gui, you are troublesome. im looking for help from peeps liek Uncle Psychosis. kind and realizes what i ahve said many times already. thanks

6. hacker 8991

correction: "A fool and his dad's money and soon parted"

:p who knows

maybe, by the time we finish bickering, the 6800 will be out :idea:

7. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

ok, i know you said no more comments, but your being illogical here. Its not like your waitng a few months for this newer hardware. Why not wait the few weeks with a temp solution till this stuff comes out. I understand what you are trying to get at with the lifecycle arguement, but your missing something. The stuff you are going to buy is going to be replaced in a week or two. Not the 6 months or so it normally takes. Just wait the few weeks, and be happy with your choice of CPU and GFX card for a few months. Have you even seen the tech demo of the 6800 utra running the unreal 3 engine. Dude, the people at epic even said that the current cards only get about sub 10FPS range in this engine, while the 6800 gets the only playable frame rates.

8. hacker 8991

>:x angry x:<

i have a 9600 pro atm, but i really just want to get what i can right now, and then wait till the release of d3/hl2 and see if it works then. i really, honestly, dont care for epic games. thanks for input tho

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Bah that case is the spiritual successor to the CM ATC-110 one the finest cases ever made ;)

Well that isn't strictly true, most equipment has about a 12 month lifespan till it is replaced. Now the current crop of graphics cards has reached the end of this lifespan, to spend $400+ on a Radeon 9800XT is complete madness when a Massively superior card is literally a couple of weeks away. You state you have a 9600 Pro, well that is quick card and if you used that for the next few weeks then you will be laughing when you pick up a x800 XT to finish off your system.

I believe that FX-51 supplies are tight, let alone an FX-53 and of course it is only a slight speed bump so you wouldn't really gain much performance benefit by waiting on this front. It might force FX-51 prices down though, which would be a good thing!

There is unlikely to ever be 8.1 channel surround sound, maybe 10.2, but that will be reserved for serious home cinema setups. Having multi-channel isn't just for DVD watching as many games are now being designed with support for 5.1 surround sound. So when monsters creep up behind you in Doom III you'll hear it ;)

As for the 708A well the 712A is a superior drive and it isn't just the DVD burning speed, it has a bigger buffer and faster CD writes. Plus you can buy it now from the Dell store.

It just sounds like you have some good equipment already, a 9600Pro is not to be sniffed at! Don't waste your money on a 9800XT, it won't be that much faster than a 9600Pro anyway and if you're waiting till HL2/DM3 come out before you upgrade then it will do you just fine. Save the extra cash for the x800XT in a couple of weeks or simply use your 9600Pro until you want to change it.

10. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

hmm...I'm starting to agree with these guys, about the gfx card if nothing else. You've got a good card just now, keep that for a few weeks, then when the new one arrives you'll just need to pop open the case and swap 'em out. You can then probably hawk the 9600 to someone on bT :rock:

I'll bet you can already pre-order one from somewhere.

Sam

11. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

thats bull****.how the hell could a company alienate 98% of its cosumers.

Epic marketing guy"yeah i know what we can do,make an engine thats soo powerful it makes all other game engines cry.making sure only a tiny percentage of the potential costomers can run it.yeah that'll sell games.definitly.that makes perfect business sense."

12. zachypoo

zachypoo What's a Dremel?

Scheduled to hit retail shelves by the end of May,<<But theres the real answer the GeForce 6800 Ultra is an incredible leap in technology and performance over Nvidia's previous offerings. It will be interesting to see how ATI responds in the coming weeks.

Company: Nvidia
    Available: Now <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< See thats what confused me
    Price: Approximately $499

13. hacker 8991

*sigh*

Is it really necesssary to get those extra 150fps on Q3? I mean, come on. With an LCD, my resolution will be capped at 1280x1024, and my framerate will be locked at 75~85Hz. Almost all games out right now can play just fine like that, with the exception of Halo, which I won't be playing anyway.

Also, according to Bit-Tech's own article, the 6800 Ultra is available in mid-May, with a price tag of $600US. No way, it is mid-June right now, so I am going to buy the end-of-shelf-life product for $200 cheaper.

And yet another point to make about myself: I always try to buy hardware one generation back. It helps the costs and everything else. Although I am buying the best of the best right now, that is BECAUSE the next wave is coming out soon. Then, I won't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on new hardware.

PLEASE: I AM GOING TO GO WITH WHAT IS NO THE LIST. IF THE NEWER VIDEO CARD IS TOTALLY "LEET", I WILL JUST SELL THE 9800XT. geeze... please look at my LCD thread. I am more concerned about that.

14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

You havent even seen the video have you? I pretty much quoted the guy.

15. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

WELL DONE.. thats why i said buy the crap card save the money and get a 6800u like 2 weeks... or your ATI alternative in a couple of months. im not really sure why you asked about this system, as you've just ignored everyone, and said "read the thread a lot".

oh well, i laugh at you with your money, theres no point in getting an FX51 at all... the 3400+ offers almost the same performance for a considerable amount less

Last edited: 21 Apr 2004
  16. hacker 8991

i have ignored everyone because they all say "wait and buy suchandsuch", when i have said, and repeated several times, that this system is being put together THIS WEEK. I am not going to upgrade it for a while, and waiting for the 6800 Ultra to come out or the FX53 so that the prices will drop wont work. It would take a while for the prices fo the second generation products to go down.

17. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

dude, all i can say is that we try to offer advice, but if you dont want it then dont take it...if you want to show off to everyone how big an e-wang youre gonna get cause daddy has plenty of money, go and do it in general discussion or something where people can flame without a conscience!!!

seriously...take it easy, and try to understand that we are offering options...but if you dont wanna listen then dont ask!!!

now that thats said, the soudncard youre getting is ****e! i knwo you said youre not an audiophile, and youre building it within a week, and youre telling people to read your thread and whatnot else, but it doesnt change the fact that its crap, that creative lie about the quality of thier soundcards, their drivers are weak as piss! but then again thats my 2p, imo you should get somethin decent for youre money like terratec or m-audio...if you dont like this, or see this as criticism or a personal attack, rather then having a go, ignore it!!!

o yeah, and if youre spending such a load of money, maybe have a look at the things that most people ignore, the things that you actually interface with: keyboard, mouse and monitor...i know its not really that important for bragging rights, but you can always overclock youre ps2 mouse port and become a l337 h4><0r...

im sorry if anyone gets offended by this, but it just seems stupid that people just get angry when others try to help....

edit: just saw the keyboard and mouse youre getting...good choice!! sorry about that then, but not sure what monitor...

also get a decent psu as this system will be power hungry...antec or sparkle make decent psus, but they might not be as l337...saying that, antec have ones with blue fans and braiding on the main cable!!!

18. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

19. hacker 8991

Thanks for the input, flix the cat:

The keyboard and mouse have been set for a while. I am either going to use the Bluetooth or just the regular MX Duo.
    I am still searching for a good 17"-19" LCD with DVI input. Please help in my other thread.
    My brother has the SB with the external breakout box (like 2 Platinum or something), and it seems more than adequate (sp).
    Could someone actually look at me power supply? It is KICK ASS. Here is a link for you lazy people.
    What the hell are you talking about? I have tried to answer everyones input with responses, but too many people have said the same thing over and over again. It just gets annoying. Also, I am trying to find out how to build the most kick-ass system RIGHT NOW. My dad is letting me have five grand. Not trying to show off or anything. This has never happened to me before, and probably won't happen again. Once again: I am not trying to flame anyone.

unclean: That is a UK site. I'm in the US. Also, there are not that many FX53 mobos around that I know of.

20. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Dude, you CAN build the system THIS week and STILL go budget on the gfx whilst waiting for the Nv6800. As for what you said about selling the 9800XT if it isnt "1337" enough, thats just plain stupid as you will have wasted a good $300. The FX-53 doesnt need the expensive ECC memory, so you would easily be able to get 2-4gig of decent memory MUCH cheaper AND that is already available in the states. As for a decent mobo, go with one of the well known manufacturers such as Abit or DFI.

Instead of flaming everyone, use your head and read their help that you are asking for. What is a one week wait if you can SERIOUSLY increase the performance of your new rig, as you said you may never get $5000 to spend again, so its going to have to last you a while!