1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 512Mb 6800 Ultra?....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hypocrisy86, 22 Apr 2004.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

ok this is what i hate. people who say the NV40 is going to blow away ATI. how the **** do they know that?have you people got a hold of a new ATI card or something?are you using a RV420 right now? so how the hell can you coment on it? wow it doesn't have as many pipelines. how on earth do you know that ATI need 16 pipelines? ATI could have some super duper efficent GPU that doesn't need.

here's a nice metaphore.
    F1 car has a 2(maybe 3)engine.
    Chevrolet Corvette has a 5.7litre engine
    which is fastest?

sorry end of rant(fanboys make my blood boil)

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

No offense, but you sound like a Fanboy right now yourself :) You do however make a valid point. Im just upset with those who say that ATI is going to kill the Nvidia card. It may Do better, it may do almost the same, or it might just absolutely suck-we just dont know yet. There are a few clues though that seem to point that the ATI card wont be as good.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

:hehe: riiiight
    /smiles and nods

personally ive found ATI drivers not to be a patch on nvidias drivers, but thats another discussion altogether

nvidia may own ATI
    ATI may own nvidia
    matrox or S3 may pull one out of their ass that owns them all
    who knows??!?!?

anything said now is just speculation about the next-gen cards
    theres always rumors, rumors that the nvidia card wont be all its cracked up to be, rumors that the ATI card will suck, rumors that the ATI card will pwn, thats what they are RUMORS
    sheesh

ffs
    </rant>

edit: wahey, 2 rants in one thread :rock:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2004
  4. Piratetaco

no its just people judging something they haven't even seen or touched let alone use.(i'm a bit of an ATI fan boy :worried: but only by 1 card.up till then i owned equal numbers of both)

5. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You know I think I'm running ATI at the moment. It will be in my signature no doubt.

Really no one knows how this is going to pan out until ATI releases their next generation card and the two can be directly compared. Even then you are talking about sample cards rather than 3rd party board manufactures.The real proof is when XFX, Gainward, Asus. Gigabyte, Leadtek, Sapphire, Powercolor, Abit, et al release their boards.

Both the NV40 and the R420 are afaik based on previous architectures rather than being entirely new. NV40 is essentially what NV30 should have been. It is of course true that the NV40 is an amazing achievement, but it has some pretty high requirements to run it.

I suspect that the current NV40 clock speeds are 'under-clocked' and that retail editions might be quicker with faster memory clocks to. However this remains to be seen :)

Finish with a prediction is how all good hacks write so I will add my own :) The NV40 is comprised of no less than 220 million transistors, part of which is an extra 12 pipelines and PS 3.0. Now I think there are some extra transistors in there that are unaccounted for, which given that everything else has been announced means that there is something else brewing inside the NV40. A clock race between the R420 16pp and the NV40 16pp would be far from conclusive, but enabling an extra 4 pipelines in the NV40 would make the outcome a certaintity. So there is my prediction, the NV40 is actually a 20 pixel pipeline card that nVidia will release as the 6900 Ultra after the x800XT has been released.

6. Piratetaco

sorry dude but i can't see that. if the NV40 has 20 pipelines Nvidia would enable them all at launch so many people would buy one regardless of what ATI do.this is how they'd make their big bucks and gain the market share they lost to ATI. plus XT's are aimed at the super high end of the games market(ie the least profitable.least sales). the best way for them to re-gain highest market share is make the 20 pipeline version availible to all.

7. Mister_Tad

i have the same lingering feeling that there are a few easter eggs in the NV40, dunno about another 4 pipes but i think there are a few surprises in the works, i definitely reckon that there is quite a bit of headroom in the core with the temps like they are and the speeds where they are

the reason that nvidia wouldnt release a ball-to-the-wall version from the get go is that then there wouldnt be any room to release faster version meaning that they will get to charge $500 for a new card and all the "have to have it" guys will upgrade and then they can sell the "old" one as cut down priced one etc etc

time will tell

8. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! What's a Dremel?

the whole purpose to ship cards with 512 mem is so THAT it is available and developed enough when we really need it! the graphics card industy is booming and they need to develop new stuff, it's similar to the 64bit cpus guys! theres more tansistors in a gpu than a cpu. Basically we support the graphics card business by buying graphics cards, and the more money they make the more they can develop the technology so newer and wikkider games can be developed on state of the art hardware without restrictions, it's what everyone wants and needs, the faster we can develop the hardware the easier it is too make the games that run on it! and the better the games will be, so if you guys want better games like Hl2 then i wouldn't worry about the memory, id worry about the experience you would get on the card, it's like saying that having 256 is absurd when right now it's typically normal 6 months later, the farther ahead the graphics cards are compared to the games the better, it means that people can buy a low end card and play wikkid games without sacrificing 600+ to get sweet res. it's better for everyone in the long run, in 6 months or more the 6800 non ultra will be a lower end card like the 9800 right now and retail for a cheap cheap price and you can go buy one and play cool games, because it takes game manufacturers longer like hl2 (YEARS!) to develop their games. my point is said, the farther along the industry, the better it is for everyone else! :thumb:

9. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

the X800XT will have 16Pipes and a clock over over 1,1000mhz son and PS3.0 is no big deal since Unreal 3 aint comin out till 2006 anyway and its one of the only games that use it. ATIs just laughing at Nvidias incompetence, and anyway ATIs releasing the X300 X600 AND the X800 and what Nvidias only got the 6800...

10. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! What's a Dremel?

if nvidia gets all of the shader programs (PS3.0) tweaked beforehand, the better it will be in the long run, and they can concentrate on the newer stuff later on.

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

on the contrary, not only are other games being made to use the shaders, many WILL with new patches, such as FarCry and likely Doom 3 (So I have heard), but you are wrong about nVidia only having the 6800. There is the 6800 Ultra, 6800, 6200, and eventually, 6700 and 6900 and their ultra varients. Dont go thinking that ATI will be superior because of higher clockspeeds. Look at the Athlon 64s compared to the Pentium 4s. I rest my case.

12. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

AMD uses a better architexture meaning speed doesnt matter, and thats also
    why their cheaper, just like ATI when raw speed doesnt matter at all a 9800XT with 730mhz mem clock and 412mhz core outdoes DX9 games better than 5950+ and when you turn up FSAA and AF the XT doesnt dim like the NV38 and the upcoming NV40 from the marks ive seen.. its like ATI with half-life 2 they **** with the benchmarking to make the ****in **** look damn better, my 9200 doesnt have a prob when 4xAA and 4xFSAA is on when im playing painkiller but with my 5200 it just lags..the later the ATI cards come out the better more people would save money for them knowing the information first hand, and in christmas time ATIs 512mb will be out, with the 16 pipes plus higherclocked, ATIs just going slowly with their developement unlike Nvidia when they do everything all a suddenly,and ATIs making lots of money by doing the selling the way they are..
    notice also why they havent put pics up of the X800 ehhe when i get my 9700 pro im gonna sledge hammer my 5200U with pleasure :D

Last edited: 23 Apr 2004
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1 engine, 3 litre, V10, 20,000rpm, made for about 2 races. Chevvy, made for about 100k miles and only does 7k rpm.

And as ive said before; who in the hell cares? At the end of the day when the card is released and the NDAs are over then youll know for sure. But i still bet, even then you fanboys will be waving your little flags in one hand and typing bitchy comments about "unfair results" in the other :p
    Its not like any of you know, you're just regurgitating rumour from other sites so why do you bother?

14. Mister_Tad

ATI uses a more efficient "architexture" now on their current cards yes, this means sweet-FA because the NV40 is a *new* architecture :duh:
    you are wrong and mislead in so many places it isnt even worth pointing out
    hen again i suppose reasoning with fanboys wont get anyone anywhere

heres an idea, how bout you shut up till ATI actually releases something :hehe:

15. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

im with mrtad here.

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Whatever happened to the good old days of the anticipation of muti-gpu cards like the Voodoo 5500 (my old one still going strong in a friends comp). What a pity the Voodoo 6000 was never realised fully with it's 4 GPUs!!!!!

I know you can still get cards like that for the big graphics workstation boys and stuff, but it would just sound cool to be able to say 'I have 4 processors on my graphics card' hehehe

17. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Why would they make a 220 million transistor part available to all? It is exceedingly expensive to produce such a part and I can't imagine nVidia is making much profit even with the 6800 Ultra. The top end parts I think are mainly to build brand loyalty, did you not notice the general shift to ATI when the 9700 Pro was released? Once the brand loyalty is there they can reduce the cost of the part and sell it as cheaper versions and soak up the demand.

As for why they wouldn't release it at launch there is an old phrase that states "Don't put all your eggs in one basket". The NV40 should be a on par to the R420 and I suspect that is how the competition will stand. Now in August when the next refresh comes they don't typically release a whole new core, just an improvement over the previous one. This can be done by enabling hidden pipelines or increasing clock speed, you essentially build two generations of GPU into one chip. I suspect NV45 is the NV40 with a higher clock and 4 hidden pipes enabled.

Afaikk the NV40 is a substantially improved NV30. Similar to how a Geforce 4 was an improved Geforce 3.

18. Mister_Tad

yes but the core is different even if there arent any fundamental changes, there are changes made to it making it a new core, a bit more than GF3->GF4 though, that was esentially a speed bump with some AA toys chucked in for good effect

my point is that the fact that ATi beats nVidia now really means nothing for the next time round as these are new cards we are talking about

19. JoKeR

JoKeR What's a Dremel?

Didnt nVIDIA rush there last lot of cards onto the market, and they turned out to be a great disapointment ( caused my change of camp to ATi).

Lets just see how ATi rise to the challenge, i think it will be well worth it :thumb:

Tags: